Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

If the whole public sector of about 5.8 million people got an across the board 7% pay increase (which is where the RMT are at the moment) how much would that cost the country?
Profits are up,shares are up, dividends are up,big bonuses for the ones at the top are up......how about taking a bit of that and sharing it out ?
You know where the disparity is and choose to bury your head in the sand and blame everyone else.
Suprised me your not on the side of the workers Craigy 🙄

Rusty Nails

Country Member
What's that saying again.... don't count your chickens ..... ;)

Oh I’m not. I believe that if this government unfairly holds back awards to public sector workers again, it will have no option but to reduce the pension rise. The only things stopping them are the fear of being accused of making a u-turn and the fact that they rely on old people for their votes.

Craig the cyclist

Ãœber Member
If you knew the answer would you have any real idea whether it was affordable or not, or how much it would add to inflation?

Exactly how much of an overall increase would be affordable?

Let us know if you have the answers, together with your workings out, otherwise it is pointless asking the question.

This just makes no sense.

The call is for about a 7% increase in pay for all public sector workers. I have asked if anyone has any idea how much that would cost, and you reply asking me how much it would cost and what are my workings out!

stowie

The call is for about a 7% increase in pay for all public sector workers. I have asked if anyone has any idea how much that would cost, and you reply asking me how much it would cost and what are my workings out!

People have already done some maths.

As a summary - public sector wage bill = £230bn. The government will have budgeted in spending review prediction on wage increases - £7bn. A 7% increase - in crude terms - would cost around £16bn. Remove the funds that the government have already allocated leaves approx £9bn.

The article I linked assumes a 9% increase is required (expected inflation rate in 2022), which would need an extra £14bn.

Wobblers

The other side of this: younger daughter arrived in London today and got trapped at Heathrow. No trains! Eventually got into the centre by taxi, I doubt they got any change out of £100.

Two things. I hope this dispute is not the result of a govt that wants to use inflation as a means to achieve effective pay cuts for the waged and salaried. (I'm sure they would never do that, unless my medication needs increasing ... )

Given the government rhetoric about limiting pay increases to avoid stoking inflation it's rather difficult not to come to the conclusion that significant paycuts in real terms is a major aim.

Secondly, I also hope this doesn't mean that in the West we think we have an automatic entitlement to maintain our standard of living, come what may. Putin's war comes with a cost. The Ukrainians are paying with blood and treasure, and some developing countries face possible food shortages. A modest drop in purchasing power bears no comparison to this except maybe for the very poor.

Increases to benefits have been far short of inflation. This is before we allow for the fact that those on benefits spend far more of their meagre income on food and energy - which have been rising far quicker than the headline inflation rate. Do people have an "automatic entitlement" to access to adequate nutrition? (Something I also extend to those in developing countries, who can't afford the coming food price increases.)

It's also fair to point out that a cut in real terms to millions of people will have severe economic consequences, not least that we have a society that is deeply indebted, and relies on increasing that debt for growth. This is compounded by the fact that people are already cutting back on discretionary spending, which will inevitably result in significant job losses in our services orientated economy. We've yet to see the economic fallout of this.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

If you read my post you would see that I did not ask you what it would cost. I asked other questions about affordability and inflation.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
War in Ukraine - predictable
Pandemic - inevitable
Brexit - literally planned and carried out by this government

None of these things should be used as some sort of mitigation or a guilt trip against workers asking for fair pay and conditions. I thought that NHS staff being underpaid was a pretty poor comparison but 'be grateful that at least nobody is committing literal genocide against you' brings the race to the bottom to new heights.

D

Deleted member 49

Fifteen quid a hour minimum wage and pay rises in line with inflation.Its the least people deserve.
Inflation is all about high profits and certainly not high wages.

Top Bottom