Strike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member

Well, I actually do, thanks for recognising that.

The derogations agreed by the RCN included ED, CCU, ITU etc. It was understood to also cover MIU, SDEC, UTC, Walk-In centres that also provide emergency care. On Thursday this did not pan out and numerous MIUs, SDECs and UTCs were unexpectedly closed and left patients seeking emergency treatment faced with a picket line and not care.

Michael may have nipped out on his break and given a quick interview, but he doesn't see the whole picture.

D

Deleted member 49

Well, I actually do, thanks for recognising that.

The derogations agreed by the RCN included ED, CCU, ITU etc. It was understood to also cover MIU, SDEC, UTC, Walk-In centres that also provide emergency care. On Thursday this did not pan out and numerous MIUs, SDECs and UTCs were unexpectedly closed and left patients seeking emergency treatment faced with a picket line and not care.

Michael may have nipped out on his break and given a quick interview, but he doesn't see the whole picture.

https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/news/uk-rcn-nursing-strikes-nhs-service-exemption-021222
As I said...Nurses already have agreements in place to cover emergency and critical care.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
https://www.rcn.org.uk/news-and-events/news/uk-rcn-nursing-strikes-nhs-service-exemption-021222
As I said...Nurses already have agreements in place to cover emergency and critical care.

As I said, some places that are considered to provide emergency care (SDEC stands for Same Day Emergency Care), UTC (Urgent Treatment Centres) were closed unexpectedly as the RCN allowed the staff to join in the strike and not be part of the derogations agreed.

Have you also noticed what is not on your quoted list? When you spot it I think you will agree that the answer is 'yes' nurses are withdrawing their labour from crit/emergency care.

I don't know if you realised, but emergency care does not just happen in big acute hospitals.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I considered it as a possibility as, although I've no detailed knowledge of the timelines around funding for nurse training, I've come across the issue when doing benefits advice.

If the loan was not accrued doing nurse training it is about as relevant as saying she is paying off a car loan or an Argos store card.

It's the lie that bothers me, clearly told by a Very Senior Nurse to exaggerate the issue, if the nurses are going to stand a chance, lies won't help.

D

Deleted member 28

If the loan was not accrued doing nurse training it is about as relevant as saying she is paying off a car loan or an Argos store card.

It's the lie that bothers me, clearly told by a Very Senior Nurse to exaggerate the issue, if the nurses are going to stand a chance, lies won't help.

The highest of Nurses to be exact!

No, it's a consequence of how the UK funds post 18 education. Not a choice made for luxury or gratification.

You're way to willing to chuck the accusation of lying into the equation.

icowden

Legendary Member
As I said, some places that are considered to provide emergency care (SDEC stands for Same Day Emergency Care), UTC (Urgent Treatment Centres) were closed unexpectedly as the RCN allowed the staff to join in the strike and not be part of the derogations agreed.
So you agree that emergency and critical care were not affected and were covered as planned?
Urgent Treatment is not emergency or critical care.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
No, it's a consequence of how the UK funds post 18 education. Not a choice made for luxury or gratification.

You're way to willing to chuck the accusation of lying into the equation.

If it was debt not related to nursing it is irrelevant in this contex, and you know that the inference is it is debt accrued a a student nurse.

But it is a lie, she qualified 2 years before the charges for nurse training came in, and so is totally untrue. People spreading these stories are a disgrace to the profession.

icowden

Legendary Member
But it is a lie, she qualified 2 years before the charges for nurse training came in, and so is totally untrue. People spreading these stories are a disgrace to the profession.
You make a rather daft assumption here. Whilst you are entirely right that she may not have had to pay for her training, you must be aware that people have to live somewhere and eat whilst they are training? Student loans came in in the 90s and grants were scrapped in 1997, and it is therefore not unreasonable to assume that if she did not come from a wealthy background that she accrued a considerable student loan to pay off her living costs. My grants was about £1000 a term when I was at Uni in the early 90s and I finished with an 8k student loan. If I had not had the grant I'd have finished with a debt of about £20k.

Repayment of that loan doesn't kick in until you re earning a decent wage - say £35,000 as a Band 6 Nurse, at which point you have to start paying slabs of it back.

It is therefore entirely plausible that the Nurse in question has substantial student debt to pay back.

Tanis8472

Regular
I'm doing my best here, never having claimed a penny in benefits so bear with me, if I was earning £35 and living in Wolverhampton with 2 teenage kids and no partner I could claim £600 per month for rent and £640 in UC as well as my £2k take home pay from the NHS?

If however I didn't have any kids then I would have to rely on just my salary?

Yes you have. Children's allowance.

Top Bottom