The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I, like you, have no idea of the nationality of those who arrive on boats.

If they are Syrian and can make a similar case to the Ukrainians, why do they arrive with no papers?

Also, the majority of those from Ukraine seem to want to stop, or at least they are content to stop, in a neighbouring country.

That's probably because they are patriots and want to return one day.

The people who arrive on the boats want to hide their nationality and embed themselves in UK society.

You've not answered my question which was about why Syrians cannot have the same safe route as identically assaulted Ukrainians.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You are not doing too well today - you can't get a straight answer out of Claud either.

Mind, that's always been the case, she blows a fuse if anyone challenges her.

Experience shows @glasgowcyclist is made of more grown up stuff, so there's hope with him yet.

Still waiting for your friend @multitool to answer the question about which positions we common folk are de-barred from.

Pale Rider

Veteran
You've not answered my question which was about why Syrians cannot have the same safe route as identically assaulted Ukrainians.

I've no idea, you'll have to study Syria's land borders and their government's attitude to incomers, and the attitudes of the countries Syrians can realistically reach by sea.

Even you can't blame the British government for that international situation, but that won't stop you trying.

I've no idea, you'll have to study Syria's land borders and their government's attitude to incomers, and the attitudes of the countries Syrians can realistically reach by sea.

Even you can't blame the British government for that international situation, but that won't stop you trying.

I'm not blaming the UK government for any international situation.

Given that parts of both Syria and Ukraine have been reduced to rubble by Russian bombs with mucho civvy casualties and homelessness etc I'm asking why the UK government won't treat Syrians in the same way as Ukrainians.

D

Deleted member 28

Because that would be against the law until their asylum claim has been processed.

They can't make use of these young men until the asylum claim has been processed and they are cleared to work.

Try actually reading something.

Most asylum seekers don't want or need a room in someone's house, they need to be processed so that they can get work, go and find family or friends and get themselves set up.

Why care about breaking the law, get them nestled down in the parlour, sort them out with a bit of cash in hand and then get their applications rolling, easy peasy.

You're all full of sh*t, ginger bird runs a veg patch she must be desperate for a bit of cheap labour.

BoldonLad

That would be my guess too, although I can cite no official source for that.
What made you ask in the first place?

It occurred to me at the time, mainly from BBC News coverage, and, a little from personal experience that the Ukrainian refugees/asylum seekers arriving in UK appeared to be almost exclusively women and children.

Even coverage of Ukrainians arriving in other countries (Poland, Hungary, Germany, France) suggested they were almost exclusively women and children.

I did not recall seeing any footage or reports which suggested that any of them had arrived via small boats, that doesn't preclude that possibility of course, I just had not observed it.

Last edited:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It occurred to me at the time, mainly from BBC News coverage, and, a little from personal experience that the Ukrainian refugees/asylum seekers arriving in UK appeared to be almost exclusively women and children.

Even coverage of Ukrainians arriving in other countries (Poland, Hungary, Germany, France) suggested they were almost exclusively women and children.

I did not recall seeing any footage or reports which suggested that any of them had arrived via small boats, that doesn't preclude that possibility of course, I just had not observed it.

The male population of the Ukraine is not allowed to leave the country. Not even to visit family in western nations when on leave.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

Ukrainians have no need of crossing via traffickers with small boats since the UK gov treats them differently to others fleeing bombs, and provides a sanctioned and safe route, to the extent that Ukrainians are given NI numbers and permitted to seek employment straight away. The ship they were accommodated on in Glasgow for six months even had a job centre on it.

If that safety net wasn’t provided, there’s no reason to believe that Ukrainians wouldn’t also be part of the small boat crossings.

Quite the contrast in treatment to all the others seeking refuge, isn’t it?

BoldonLad

Ukrainians have no need of crossing via traffickers with small boats since the UK gov treats them differently to others fleeing bombs, and provides a sanctioned and safe route, to the extent that Ukrainians are given NI numbers and permitted to seek employment straight away. The ship they were accommodated on in Glasgow for six months even had a job centre on it.

If that safety net wasn’t provided, there’s no reason to believe that Ukrainians wouldn’t also be part of the small boat crossings.

Quite the contrast in treatment to all the others seeking refuge, isn’t it?

How do they prove they are Ukrainians?

Top Bottom