The Good News Only - thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Ok I actually fecking hate myself for name dropping....but here goes 🙄
I was fortunate enough to meet Robert Smith a few times,he had or has a fear of flying so sailed on the QE2 and I got to chat with him whilst working.Hes refreshingly as you think,odd shoes and awkward 😍
Other notable stars were Jim Bowen,top bloke used to come to the crew bar get p1ssed and play Bullseye,up for a laugh.
Bob Carlogees absolute prick...thought he was something.
See ive mixed with the stars 😁

multitool

Shaman

View: https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1638549237867708417?s=20

23-15-49-Fr1N2ZoXoAEml7O.jpg

matticus

Guru
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65067321

"Some lawyers vow to not prosecute climate activists"

Blimey! Whilst I applaud their moral stance, it feels like this could be the start of something quite messy:

They now face the prospect of disciplinary action for breaching professional regulations such as the so-called 'cab rank rule', which requires lawyers to take on any case within their competence. The declaration has been organised by climate group Plan B, which said some of the lawyers had self-reported to the Bar Standards Board.

In a statement, the charity said: "This is understood to be the first time in legal history that barristers have engaged in a collective act of civil disobedience."

MP and former solicitor general Robert Buckland said it was a "very odd approach" and "not really consistent with the role of a lawyer."
"When lawyers start picking and choosing, in a way it undermines the independence of the legal profession", he told the Daily Mail.
He added: "There are plenty of people lawyers represent who are deeply unpleasant and deeply unpopular, such as rapists and paedophiles.
"But they are entitled to a fair trial."

multitool

Shaman
Ahhh...but you don't see the cunning behind the stance of such lawyers, one of whom is Jolyon Maugham.

He's a tax lawyer.

icowden

Legendary Member
Tax lawyers don't tend to prosecute climate activists.
Ah - I see your point. Other major signatories are also not criminal lawyers. It would be interesting to know how many criminal lawyers (if any) signed the declaration of conscience.

It also has the unfortunate effect of reinforcing the tabloid notion that Barrister's views are aligned with their clients which is somewhat pernicious and anti-justice.

Top Bottom