The NACA Music, Art & General Creativity Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I never saw it, so can't really judge. Same with the Gagosian installation. It sounds & looks interesting, but I'd have to be there.

Only seen pictures, which is probably why my impression is as it is, but a cool concept.

Beebo

Veteran
I was going to put this in the Palestine thread but decided it was a bit too twee.
But it very simply reveals the folly of war in a simple format.

View: https://youtu.be/wupToqz1e2g?si=tbfoOqjZOZ0kyqru

Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.

Ian H

Guru
Painting over a rejected painting.
IMG_20231016_212311011.jpg

OP
OP
Xipe Totec

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
If you've got a minute - well, eight would be better - here's the most recent creation from my own unpopular beat combo. It is, I understand, obliquely political, but I only twang the strings & press the buttons so what do I know?

Anyway, if you enjoy musical bombast, melodrama & pretentiousness (there's even a little fretless bass solo) you might like this. And if you don't - indulge me anyway. A big screen & decent speakers/headphones are recommended.

View: https://youtu.be/K3_zj3EmpFI?feature=shared

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Last night I went to my first comedy writing workshop, which is specifically for people who identify as LGBTQIA+ hence I figured I'd put it here.

It started last week and I got as far as the front door before chickening out, but I'm glad I made the effort and went last night. I'm not really one for "safe" spaces (I know, I know, terrible queer) but it was comfortable being in a small room of likeminded folk who were just free to speak as they wished, no pressure, just a decent bunch of folks who want to work on being funny in front of strangers.

Had a really enjoyable time and I'm thinking that this is something I could actually be really good at. I've toyed with it in the past, but never committed to actually learning how to construct a set/sketch properly, beyond a few vaguely successful efforts helping other people out.

Brief intro chat round the six of us, followed by a discussion about what constitutes stand up and what we like comedy wise.

After that we had to tell the group a surprising fact about ourselves, didn't have to be funny necessarily, it was more about building confidence speaking and considering what jumping off points could be. I had a couple: I nearly captained the US U16 hockey team and unwittingly took a life drawing class with Michelle Pfeiffer (no, she wasn't a model).

Finally an exercise where we were split into groups, had to pick the same story from our lives and then all 3 of us tell that story for the others to guess who was telling the truth (if you know the bit in Would I Lie to You, you'll know what I mean). I was quite pleased to "win" that, especially as it was my story chosen to riff off: my sister was almost 90% deaf until she was 10 years old, she's now a professional musician with various orchestras around the world.

My notes, such as they are:

IMG20231031081729.jpg

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Bit creative, bit political, I had to decorate (I designed a few of these) my latest two sketchbooks so I could tell them apart.

They'll end up crossed over inevitably, and I'll be looking for jokes and drawings all over the place but that's part of the fun!

IMG20231101150923.jpg

icowden

Legendary Member
Re-watching the BBC's "Tinker, Tailor..", Alec Guinness et al, and marvelling at just how much time there is.
Older movies weren't afraid to leave space. In a similar vein, one of the most useful things I learned at drama school was that you can take your time on stage. There is a tendency to want to get all of the words out, but anything you think is normal speed is usually considerably faster - it's just your adrenalin playing tricks. Never be frightened of a

pause.

Top Bottom