The NACA Music, Art & General Creativity Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Be worth it, looks very cool!

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Right, I've soldered on a new battery clip.
20240620_103425.jpg

Now at this point you might be forgiven for thinking you could just whack in a 9V battery and off you go, which is how it was when I got it. Actually it runs on 6V and takes one of these cartridges, which I've never come across but are fortunately easy enough to get hold of, which was a nice surprise.
20240620_103453.jpg

It's a bit of a snug fit and I need to MacGyver some sort of battery cover and rubber foot replacement, mainly to keep the dust out.

20240620_103826.jpg

Had a brief play with it and it's working, managed to record and play back a pattern so it doesn't seem like the memory has been damaged. Main problem is that the tone pot is hella crackly so the next job is to take it apart again and see if I can get some switch cleaner in there.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
View attachment 6194

Now at this point you might be forgiven for thinking you could just whack in a 9V battery and off you go, which is how it was when I got it. Actually it runs on 6V and takes one of these cartridges, which I've never come across but are fortunately easy enough to get hold of, which was a nice surprise.
View attachment 6195

It's a bit of a snug fit and I need to MacGyver some sort of battery cover and rubber foot replacement, mainly to keep the dust out.

View attachment 6193

Had a brief play with it and it's working, managed to record and play back a pattern so it doesn't seem like the memory has been damaged. Main problem is that the tone pot is hella crackly so the next job is to take it apart again and see if I can get some switch cleaner in there.

Very, very nice.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
View attachment 6194

View attachment 6195

View attachment 6193

OK, I couldn't get into the pot without desoldering the mount and I'm not about to do that so I settled for spraying a healthy dose of switch cleaner into that little hole and giving it a good twiddle.
20240620_134340.jpg

That seems to have done the trick, it's still got a bit of a crackle when I adjust it but before I only had to lightly touch it and the whole thing went bananas. So here it is.
20240624_220804.jpg

It pre-dates the 16 step chase type drum sequencers which are pretty standard so you have to tap in notes and rests for the whole pattern. Programmable bass drum, snare, rim shot and accent, with hi hats either off, every 8th note or every 16th. Six 4/4 patterns and two 3/4 with A/ B variation. Not much you can do in the way of mixing but you can sort of adjust it via accent and tone (except for the crackle). You need to back the tone off cos the hi hats are really shrill and hissy.

I've seen people grumble about the sequencer but the best bit about it is that there's no cue, it switches patterns immediately so you can actually jam on it and make some quite complex rhythms and fills in real time. Here's me dicking about with it last night.

https://on.soundcloud.com/U3Pdd

Now I need to see if I can use it with some of my newer toys. Should sync OK with 5V pulses into my semi modulars.

Top Bottom