The Nasty Party (AKA the Tories), it's back!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It will be an interesting by-election.

Edit, ah, at the next election.

A bully and a coward then.

Reactions: C R
Same here. I was really looking forward to not voting for him and watching him beaten by the Lib Dems.
I wonder who will stand in his place?

There must be, as in the period before 1997, a chicken run of current MPs, some in ministerial office, who are in seats they'll struggle to hold. Some will be Boundary Changes but others, like Raab, are vulnerable to demographic change - as well as polling moves against the Tories. I don't think anybody with a current seat will rush for this one. The candidate next time will be somebody new off the list of approved PPCs for whom a loss will pave the way to a better prospect in 2028/9.

NAdine Dories' seat, or Henley must be prime territory. Will Johnson's profession of loyalty to the now pretty marginal Ruislip hold?

I doubt it.

ebikeerwidnes

My wife was looking at the number of MPs that are not standing at teh next election

I think it is currently 44 Tories
plus the ones who have lost the whip

If I was running an organisation employing about 400 people and 40plus of them decided to leave then I would be wondering what I was doing wrong

Beebo

Veteran
My wife was looking at the number of MPs that are not standing at teh next election

I think it is currently 44 Tories
plus the ones who have lost the whip

If I was running an organisation employing about 400 people and 40plus of them decided to leave then I would be wondering what I was doing wrong
There will be an awful lot of ex Tory MPs chasing the high paying non executive directorships.

ebikeerwidnes

There will be an awful lot of ex Tory MPs chasing the high paying non executive directorships.

My thoughts are that, if I was a Tory MP, I would be looking at the polls and local election results and thinking of how I earn money after the next election

and if I declare I am leaving now then I can start looking for possibilities before the rush and look better as I am leaving as a decision and not because I was kicked out

the snail

There must be, as in the period before 1997, a chicken run of current MPs, some in ministerial office, who are in seats they'll struggle to hold. Some will be Boundary Changes but others, like Raab, are vulnerable to demographic change - as well as polling moves against the Tories. I don't think anybody with a current seat will rush for this one. The candidate next time will be somebody new off the list of approved PPCs for whom a loss will pave the way to a better prospect in 2028/9.

NAdine Dories' seat, or Henley must be prime territory. Will Johnson's profession of loyalty to the now pretty marginal Ruislip hold?

I doubt it.

Dorries and a couple of others are due to be booted into the HoL thanks to Johnsons resignation honours, so we may have some amusing bye-elections soon.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My thoughts are that, if I was a Tory MP, I would be looking at the polls and local election results and thinking of how I earn money after the next election

and if I declare I am leaving now then I can start looking for possibilities before the rush and look better as I am leaving as a decision and not because I was kicked out

Quite, do, it’s not really surprising is it?

lazybloke

Regular
Just saw in the news that the government has refused to hand over the unredacted information to the Covid enquiry, which might be a criminal offence. Haven't heard anything from the Attorney General on the matter, so I wonder who's (potentially) on the hook for criminal charges?
And surely the government's position is breaking Nolan principles (Accountability and Openness as a minimum).

Is this just posturing, or are serious implications and outcomes possible for the government?

Beebo

Veteran
How many times were we told to wait for the public enquiry before jumping to conclusions?
Then they refused to hand over documents before its even started.

Top Bottom