The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
If we didn't have one, then yes, it wouldn't really make sense to start one. However, as we do have one, it does have its uses.
It certainly does. It seems highly likely that it is the only thing separating Prince Andrew from a trial.

More subtly reflexive cap-doffing to the monarchy is utilised by the right-wing to defend and deflect.

So yes, icowden, it certainly does have its uses.

D

Deleted member 49

Brings a tear to my eye...."once a week" lol.
Charles is inviting people 'who cannot afford to heat their homes' to use two of his grand Scottish properties as 'warm spaces' once a week

Salty seadog

Perhaps Charlie's coronation will be a good measure of it's popularity, followed by William's.

I would wager the anti monarchists will have a while to wait until they can fully empty their sacks at the thought of a Royal family free Britain.

It's getting closer though isn't it?

multitool

Shaman
Usually, but is there any great appetite amongst most of the UK public to completely abolish the monarchy, right now? I think most people would like to see it gradually slimmed down quite a bit and Charles has that view too.

Oh dear. Speaking on behalf of 'most people' again? :whistle:

The answer to whether there will be a monarchy in 30 years time lies in attitudinal shifts.

The data below suggests that the majority of 18-24 age group want to see an end to the constitutional monarchy, with only 34% supporting it. The key shift is that 8 years ago it was 50/50.

Screenshot_20230205_062632_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Oh dear. Speaking on behalf of 'most people' again? :whistle:

The answer to whether there will be a monarchy in 30 years time lies in attitudinal shifts.

The data below suggests that the majority of 18-24 age group want to see an end to the constitutional monarchy, with only 34% supporting it. The key shift is that 8 years ago it was 50/50.

View attachment 3037

No, just speaking from experience. Not seeing anybody marching in the streets to overthrow the monarchy, but hear lots of grumbling about hangers on. Unfortunately for the 52% of 18-24 year olds who don't want Charlie on the throne, the ones who do will be around for a few years yet. Not that 52% is exactly an overwhelming vote. People get more (small c) conservative as they age so those 52% might feel differently at 50. Could be a while yet. As Shep said, I doubt it's going to trouble the demographic on this forum.

Screenshot_20230205_174036.jpg

Top Bottom