The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
This isn't some eternal or inevitable fact of nature - it's more likely just an effect of the most fortunate generation in history consolidating its gains and protecting its privileges. Gen X onwards is arguably likely to get more radical.

Yes, I wonder whether there will be enough to incentivise breaking rank in the near and mid-term future.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
This isn't some eternal or inevitable fact of nature - it's more likely just an effect of the most fortunate generation in history consolidating its gains and protecting its privileges. Gen X onwards is arguably likely to get more radical.
Agreed, up to a point.

Not Gen X. They are mostly too long in the tooth and worn out to get more radical, and will already be starting to get the inheritances from the Boomers.

Millennial onwards are the ones with the energy left to change things and who have been shafted the most.

I suspect that the real battle for the future of the monarchy will start when the current Boomer King dies and the first Millennial ruler's turn comes, which given their comfortable life and family longevity could be in another 20 years or so.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yeah....errr, it will do. It's surveying a different group.
You haven't learnt your lesson from the last time you tried to compare surveys that actually surveyed different populations:rolleyes:

And you haven't learnt from your both this and your 51% bog poll that neither 51 nor 52% are the overwhelming endorsements you seem to think they are. Fair to say old folks like the royals more than youngsters, but that's about all.

Totally agree with the first bit. I think it depends how things go with the economy whether we see an increase in radical action and a demand for more radical policies from politicians.

multitool

Shaman
And you haven't learnt from your both this and your 51% bog poll that neither 51 nor 52% are the overwhelming endorsements you seem to think they are.

I think we all know by now that you could start a fight in an empty room, but it would be nice if you actually read people's posts rather than leaping feet first and making a perpetual arse of yourself. Let's try again shall we:

I put up a poll result showing that support for the constitutional monarchy amongst current 18-24 Yr olds is 34%, whereas 8 years ago the same demographic were 50% in favour. This is significant.

You then put up a different poll with a higher % in favour to counter mine, but in your haste you hadn't noticed it was a different demographic (18-34) and so not a valid comparison.

Then you post this crap because you STILL haven't realised its a different demographic despite me telling you.

Your next post will be you trying to tell me that you knew all along and you were making a different point;)

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I think we all know by now that you could start a fight in an empty room, but it would be nice if you actually read people's posts rather than leaping feet first and making a perpetual arse of yourself. Let's try again shall we:

I put up a poll result showing that support for the constitutional monarchy amongst current 18-24 Yr olds is 34%, whereas 8 years ago the same demographic were 50% in favour. This is significant.

You then put up a different poll with a higher % in favour to counter mine, but in your haste you hadn't noticed it was a different demographic (18-34) and so not a valid comparison.

Then you post this crap because you STILL haven't realised its a different demographic despite me telling you.

Your next post will be you trying to tell me that you knew all along and you were making a different point;)

52% want an elected head of state. You know that was the figure I was quoting because it's literally the headline on your own graph.

Of course it was a different demographic, it says on the charts which age group was surveyed. It's still 'young people'. The point remains that: 52% isn't exactly an overwhelming number wanting an elected head of state, and, unsurprisingly, different surveys of younger people give different outcomes on the issue so your survey is hardly the last word.

I think I enjoyed your 5 pages on the invisible bog survey more tbh.

We can analyse the latest surveys on the popularity of Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP next if you like.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

There is little or no doubt that opinions of people about the popularity/future existence of the Monarchy is lower than it has been in the past. But opinion polls are transient, depending on the latest good/bad publicity, and tend to vary much more among younger people.

The attached chart shows poll results over some of the past 30 years and the variation among the youngest group (although this is not the 18-24 group that you refer to) is very noticeable so, as the financial ads say "past performance is not indicative of future results".

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/...est-among-young-britons-but-thats-nothing-new

Get a couple of the King's kids or grandkids doing well on Love Island or I'm a Celebrity and the numbers could rise among the young and fall among the old.

I believe the Monarchy is definitely on its last legs but am cynical enough to believe that those legs will still be moving when everyone else's on this forum have stopped.
file-20220912-16-5yc2g7.png

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be surprised if support for the monarchy went up over the next 18 months, before dipping again. The death of the Queen will possibly have softened attitudes in some people, bit of pomp and circumstance with the next coronation will give some of us a brief lift, before the slide back into reality of real life and the grimness of a general election with a choice of parties nobody trusts to run anything anymore.

multitool

Shaman
52% want an elected head of state. You know that was the figure I was quoting because it's literally the headline on your own graph.

Of course it was a different demographic, it says on the charts which age group was surveyed. It's still 'young people'. The point remains that: 52% isn't exactly an overwhelming number wanting an elected head of state, and, unsurprisingly, different surveys of younger people give different outcomes on the issue so your survey is hardly the last word.

I think I enjoyed your 5 pages on the invisible bog survey more tbh.

We can analyse the latest surveys on the popularity of Nicola Sturgeon and t SNP next if you like.

My post was purely about attitudes amongst the young, not about the population as a whole.

Standard Aurora tactics, trying to move the goalposts and hope nobody notices.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

I'm quite old and I hate the motherfuckers.

Why, as a matter of interest?

Thinking they're a waste of time/money I can understand, resent their 'given' status/wealth again if you feel cheated I suppose I can see that, but 'hate'?

Is it an 'England ' thing perhaps? you are the Welsh one?

If not discount the last bit.

multitool

Shaman
I'm sure TC will give her reasons, but they may include a belief that the monarchy is the pinnacle of a hierarchy that represents unmeritocratic privilege and influence. It may be the belief that the monarchy represents a retarding infantilising force that should not exist in a modern state. It may be because examples of exploiting this unmerited position are all too clear to see (Prince Andrew escaping justice for example, with the help of his mother, the Queen).
It may be that inbred idiots are not a suitable choice for the figurehead of a nation.

Or it might be that the mere sight of this family waving on the balcony, with that look on their face that they can't quite believe they are still getting away with it, really sticks in the craw.

D

Deleted member 28

I'm sure TC will give her reasons, but they may include a belief that the monarchy is the pinnacle of a hierarchy that represents unmeritocratic privilege and influence. It may be the belief that the monarchy represents a retarding infantilising force that should not exist in a modern state. It may be because examples of exploiting this unmerited position are all too clear to see (Prince Andrew escaping justice for example, with the help of his mother, the Queen).
It may be that inbred idiots are not a suitable choice for the figurehead of a nation.

Or it might be that the mere sight of this family waving on the balcony, with that look on their face that they can't quite believe they are still getting away with it, really sticks in the craw.

It could be all those things but does one really allow them to affect you in such a way it makes you 'hate' people you would never meet or have no influence on your daily life?

Time to concentrate on your own life if the answer to any of the above is YES, but WTF do I know?

Seems to me some need to concentrate on improving their own lives, if however they're completely happy with 'their lot' then find something less destructive to occupy their thoughts.

Haters will hate as the saying goes.

Mr Celine

I wouldn't be surprised if support for the monarchy went up over the next 18 months, before dipping again. The death of the Queen will possibly have softened attitudes in some people, bit of pomp and circumstance with the next coronation will give some of us a brief lift, before the slide back into reality of real life and the grimness of a general election with a choice of parties nobody trusts to run anything anymore.

I'll strongly support* even the most corrupt and anachronistic institution if it means an extra day off.

*Terms and conditions apply. Support strictly limited to a period of 24 hours. Support will not include flag shagging or waving or watching any of the proceedings.
Support may be limited to taking advantage of cheap beer promotions or just going for a bike ride.

Top Bottom