The Queen / The Monarchy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Why, as a matter of interest?

Thinking they're a waste of time/money I can understand, resent their 'given' status/wealth again if you feel cheated I suppose I can see that, but 'hate'?

Is it an 'England ' thing perhaps? you are the Welsh one?

If not discount the last bit.

I'm English. I'm a citizen of Wales. Yes, the English are worse, but even in England, forelock tugging is not the only tradition. There has always been opposition to the monarchy. I've got older friends who remember their parents going out to boo royals visiting their town. How come you've only ever met cap-doffers and flag-shaggers and everything else seems to surprise you? Have you thought about getting out more?

If we didn't have one, then yes, it wouldn't really make sense to start one. However, as we do have one, it does have its uses. It needs to change though.

That's pretty much my take too.

If you started with a clean sheet of paper neither a monarchy nor the current Upper House of Parliament would make it to the final choice, but as we have them and finding an alternative that works would be a 'mare we might as well stay as we are and reform by tweaks as we go along.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
That's pretty much my take too.

If you started with a clean sheet of paper neither a monarchy nor the current Upper House of Parliament would make it to the final choice, but as we have them and finding an alternative that works would be a 'mare we might as well stay as we are and reform by tweaks as we go along.

Tweaks, you say.
Screenshot_20230206-100424.png

D

Deleted member 28

I'm English. I'm a citizen of Wales. Yes, the English are worse, but even in England, forelock tugging is not the only tradition. There has always been opposition to the monarchy. I've got older friends who remember their parents going out to boo royals visiting their town. How come you've only ever met cap-doffers and flag-shaggers and everything else seems to surprise you? Have you thought about getting out more?

As already asked though, don't attempt to start an insult war as I think you may lose, WHY is it you 'hate' them so much?

Do they directly affect your life in any way and why the hatred directed at people who have a different opinion to you, are you so much better than them in your view and who said I've never met people like you before?

I'm certainly not 'surprised' by your attitude I'm just trying to ascertain the reasons behind your contempt.

Ian H

Guru
As already asked though, don't attempt to start an insult war as I think you may lose, WHY is it you 'hate' them so much?

Do they directly affect your life in any way and why the hatred directed at people who have a different opinion to you, are you so much better than them in your view and who said I've never met people like you before?

I'm certainly not 'surprised' by your attitude I'm just trying to ascertain the reasons behind your contempt.

People caring and campaigning for change are the reasons we have the democratic system we have today. If everyone had just accepted the status quo we'd all be working 14hr days, six days a week, and so on.

D

Deleted member 28

People caring and campaigning for change are the reasons we have the democratic system we have today. If everyone had just accepted the status quo we'd all be working 14hr days, six days a week, and so on.

Still no explanation for what's behind the 'hatred' then?

Unless you're answering a different question of course.

Ian H

Guru
Still no explanation for what's behind the 'hatred' then?

Unless you're answering a different question of course.
No.
The more I read about them the more I find that their efforts are almost entirely directed towards maintaining their wealth, privilege and popularity (the latter because it's needed for the other two to be achieved). It's a malign influence on the society we live in.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'm not sure I could muster up enough emotion to 'hate' the monarchy.

I'm just apathetic about the whole institution. It's there, isn't going away any time soon and there really isn't anything I, or anyone else, can do about it as I see it.

There are more important things to care about that I can actually do something about.

D

Deleted member 28

No.
The more I read about them the more I find that their efforts are almost entirely directed towards maintaining their wealth, privilege and popularity (the latter because it's needed for the other two to be achieved). It's a malign influence on the society we live in.

I see, at least we're getting somewhere.

Why is it you're so bothered about it though, do you think YOUR little corner of the world would be a better place to live without them?

D

Deleted member 28

I'm not sure I could muster up enough emotion to 'hate' the monarchy.

I'm just apathetic about the whole institution. It's there, isn't going away any time soon and there really isn't anything I, or anyone else, can do about it as I see it.

There are more important things to care about that I can actually do something about.

I have to admit this is pretty much how I feel, I think they do more good than harm (Andrew aside I guess) but enough people get enjoyment out of them so who cares?

I do enjoy hearing about peoples disgust and anger of them and then when something like a wedding or coronation comes round the true popularity becomes evident, I bet just as they think it's all over the country bathes in a blanket of Red, White and Blue.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Reading around the chip

LOL is that a challenge?

Ian and MT have most of the rationale covered, as far as I am concerned. I don't feel the need to add much to that. I don't hate people who have a different opinion of the royals. My grandmother (the Wulfrunian side 😉) loved them and I have very fond memories of her, although I do find adulation of and deference to the royals utterly cringeworthy. I suppose uncomprehending is a better word than surprised - you seem to struggle to understand perspectives other than your own.

icowden

Legendary Member
It certainly does. It seems highly likely that it is the only thing separating Prince Andrew from a trial.
More subtly reflexive cap-doffing to the monarchy is utilised by the right-wing to defend and deflect.
So yes, icowden, it certainly does have its uses.
On a more positive note, monarchies are generally more stable than republics and in particular Mauro Guillén's study from 2018 shows that on average, citizens of a monarchy are £600 per annum better off than those of democratic republics.

Personally I think Charles will wait until William's kids have grown up before handing over to William (as long as Charles lives that long - he will be 87 when Wills youngest is 18). I think we will see a slimming down and moves towards a Danish style monarchy.

D

Deleted member 28

LOL is that a challenge?

Ian and MT have most of the rationale covered, as far as I am concerned. I don't feel the need to add much to that. I don't hate people who have a different opinion of the royals. My grandmother (the Wulfrunian side 😉) loved them and I have very fond memories of her, although I do find adulation of and deference to the royals utterly cringeworthy. I suppose uncomprehending is a better word than surprised - you seem to struggle to understand perspectives other than your own.

So you still haven't explained why YOU hate the Royal family, I've read what Multi bloke had to say and although I understand it I can't see why that would make you hate someone?

As for Ian all he said was something about democracy?

Obviously you can't (or don't want to) answer but surely coming out with the statement "I hate the motherfookers" you would want to explain exactly why you have such feelings and offer an insight into them?

You mention people being 'cringeworthy' which I understand but do you see people doing this on a daily basis in your life?

Last edited by a moderator:

bobzmyunkle

Mauro Guillén's study from 2018 shows that on average, citizens of a monarchy are £600 per annum better off than those of democratic republics
Sounds re-assuring (actually it sounds like very suspect statistics). Unfortunately, I don't have a cap to doff or a forelock to tug.
It's not a matter of hating them, it's a matter of questioning everything they represent.
And don't get me started on Nicholas Witchell.

Top Bottom