The role of gender and words...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Legendary Member
I was speaking from my experience as a child, having to participate in a wasted afternoon of sport when I would have much rather been doing pretty much anything else.

I agree, but this is where good teaching and changes in teaching practice come in - if you have a school capable of delivering that.
Whereas in my time, Rugby was an exercise in avoiding being pummelled into the mud by the more thuggish members of the year group in the freezing cold, my daughter has the benefits of astroturf and enough staff that the less sporty can actually be taught how a particular sport works, and be grouped accordingly, and has the benefit of encouragement and positive reinforcement.

In my day that consisted of "TAKE THE BL**Y BALL COWDEN AND RUN" when I would much rather have been many miles away from the ball in a comfortable chair, with a good book. Most of the time I was an excellent judge of being close enough to the ball to look involved but far away to not be actually involved. Cricket was my favourite as involved being able to read for most of the afternoon, with only a very short period of having a massively heavy missile aimed at me.

D

Deleted member 28

By now I think we all get that there was a time when your sperm was motile enough to stir itself in the direction of an ovum, but need you lever reference to your then fertility into every thread?
What the fook are you talking about now?

Most on here make reference to their kids, if they have any, what's your problem?

Pale Rider

Veteran
what's your problem?

Someone taught him the meaning of a few words, but forgot to teach him how to string them together.

But there's hope, because it's reckoned if you give a chimp a keyboard the animal will eventually produce Shakespeare.

I agree, but this is where good teaching and changes in teaching practice come in - if you have a school capable of delivering that.
Whereas in my time, Rugby was an exercise in avoiding being pummelled into the mud by the more thuggish members of the year group in the freezing cold, my daughter has the benefits of astroturf and enough staff that the less sporty can actually be taught how a particular sport works, and be grouped accordingly, and has the benefit of encouragement and positive reinforcement.

In my day that consisted of "TAKE THE BL**Y BALL COWDEN AND RUN" when I would much rather have been many miles away from the ball in a comfortable chair, with a good book. Most of the time I was an excellent judge of being close enough to the ball to look involved but far away to not be actually involved. Cricket was my favourite as involved being able to read for most of the afternoon, with only a very short period of having a massively heavy missile aimed at me.
Much the same here!
I was told by my PE teacher that Rugby was 'Character Building', he was right, it turned me into a wimp. Being 7 stone in teams of Devon Farmers boys was a route to being flattened into into the red mud - same with football. I was no athlete, but not a bad swimmer.
Hockey in the 6th form on the other hand was an altogether different situation, armed with the same weaponry as everyone else evened things up and I got no shoot on the field at all then.
I was a good standard squash player and weekends were taken-up Surfing on North Devon or hiking on Dartmoor, but until 6th form school sports were no great joy.

Anyhow, we digress.....

mudsticks

Squire
What would a Venn diagram of the relationship between the sets 'things you understand' and 'things that can be understood' look like?

I guess in truth that for most of us, that would look like a dried pea inside an overinflated balloon.

The difference between us, being more in our temperamental acceptance of that reality

For some of us, our curiosity is ignited by a desire for greater knowing.

In others it seems to produce an antagonistic, nay bad-tempered, resistance to any fresh learning.

Underscored by the implication that the precise use of words, that contain more than one syllable, indicates a deliberate intent to obfuscate.

Really, we should take away the spectacles of educated people, and stamp on them.

They're just not to be trusted ...

mudsticks

Squire

I was ok at netball and basketball..
Being tall was my main 'sporting talent'

Anything involving, hard hurty balls, and aggressive people with big sticks, I was getting away as far away as possible.

Cross country running was ok, cos you got out and about..

Does that count as 'sport'??

By the time my kids (sorry quigong) were at school they'd broadened the range so that there were physical activities available to suit nearly all temperaments.

The idea being to find something they'd enjoy and hopefully keep up doing later into life.

Anyway..Gendered language...

swansonj

Regular
What would a Venn diagram of the relationship between the sets 'things you understand' and 'things that can be understood' look like?
There was some commentary somewhere around these parts recently about how when you get far enough to the left or far enough to the right politically, you can start to look quite similar. But, judged by the sample of left-wingers and right-wingers presented to us here, I think there's one pretty clear difference: it's only the right-wingers who take pride in closing their minds to learning from other people.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

You did actually learn a useful life skill from your sports lessons then… ie the ability to look like you were taking part. ;)

D

Deleted member 28

Much the same here!
I was told by my PE teacher that Rugby was 'Character Building', he was right, it turned me into a wimp. Being 7 stone in teams of Devon Farmers boys was a route to being flattened into into the red mud - same with football. I was no athlete, but not a bad swimmer.
Hockey in the 6th form on the other hand was an altogether different situation, armed with the same weaponry as everyone else evened things up and I got no shoot on the field at all then.
I was a good standard squash player and weekends were taken-up Surfing on North Devon or hiking on Dartmoor, but until 6th form school sports were no great joy.

Anyhow, we digress.....
You got over that 7 stone phase, well done. 😀

There was some commentary somewhere around these parts recently about how when you get far enough to the left or far enough to the right politically, you can start to look quite similar. But, judged by the sample of left-wingers and right-wingers presented to us here, I think there's one pretty clear difference: it's only the right-wingers who take pride in closing their minds to learning from other people.
Cancelling someone, Terf should i go on? all examples of exclusions more related to left wing than right. But there is always an shitty excuses if it's closer to your own affiliation right?

Pale Rider

Veteran
I guess in truth that for most of us, that would look like a dried pea inside an overinflated balloon.

The difference between us, being more in our temperamental acceptance of that reality

For some of us, our curiosity is ignited by a desire for greater knowing.

In others it seems to produce an antagonistic, nay bad-tempered, resistance to any fresh learning.

Underscored by the implication that the precise use of words, that contain more than one syllable, indicates a deliberate intent to obfuscate.

Really, we should take away the spectacles of educated people, and stamp on them.

They're just not to be trusted ...

Cobblers.

Everyone on here is pretty much intransigent, you very much included.

All you seem to want to do is lecture people into your way of thinking.

As usual, those who preach tolerance the most are the most intolerant.

Aww, bless.

Too many syllables? ^_^

Yes, but I don't expect you understand why.

Try having a read around 'fog factor'.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

You may THINK that, but, do you have any evidence, or, dare I say, proof, of that?

Personally, I see little or no evidence that anyone on this forum, regardless of political persuasion, has learned, or even listened, to anyone of a differing view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom