The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's indeed a good point, back to western europe i read something this week they had a project where they mixed asylum seekers with students, did'nt really work for they girls they moved back to their parent just to feel safe.. that lead me to thinking without going the ukip route maybe it's time we do a little bit of both too? Demand a certain set of values from the poeple seeking asylum? Would that be an ''racist'' idea?

multitool

Shaman
That's indeed a good point, back to western europe i read something this week they had a project where they mixed asylum seekers with students, did'nt really work for they girls they moved back to their parent just to feel safe.. that lead me to thinking without going the ukip route maybe it's time we do a little bit of both too? Demand a certain set of values from the poeple seeking asylum? Would that be an ''racist'' idea?

To be honest I can never understand what point you are trying to make because your English is so poor.

It is a British forum you are posting on. Perhaps you should try a bit harder.

Whilst it's admirable that Labour wish to speed-up the asylum process and reduce the numbers rotting in hotels (an idea I fully support), there's a slight snag however. Let's assume a large percentage get granted, where are they all going to live?
When is this small land if hope and glory face-up to the reality that we are desperately short of decent small houses and appartments? When will successive governments wake-up to the fact that the inflated housing market due to lack of supply in the UK is a major drag on the economy and the welfare of citizens?

mudsticks

Squire
Whilst it's admirable that Labour wish to speed-up the asylum process and reduce the numbers rotting in hotels (an idea I fully support), there's a slight snag however. Let's assume a large percentage get granted, where are they all going to live?
When is this small land if hope and glory face-up to the reality that we are desperately short of decent small houses and appartments? When will successive governments wake-up to the fact that the inflated housing market due to lack of supply in the UK is a major drag on the economy and the welfare of citizens?
A large proportion of the 'wealth' in this country is tied up in property.

Property capitalism and the ever increasing divide between the haves and the have nots enriches the 'haves' year on year

Including all the property owners subsidies via buy to let, and paying private landlords to house people who should be able to get access to decent social housing.

Until we start building proper amounts of properly regulated social housing, and even allow people to build their own homes and communities, instead of leaving it all in the hands of property developers (who will build the absolute bare minimum of 'affordable' houses) it will be ever thus.

But let's not start suggesting that it's 'immigrants' that are causing the housing crisis...

Unless you're going to speak about those second home owners, air bnb'ers or rich retiree's pricing locals out of affordable accommodation in less well off areas - there's definitely a bit of an issue there.

icowden

Legendary Member
Demand a certain set of values from the poeple seeking asylum? Would that be an ''racist'' idea?

We do. We demand that they follow our laws and ask that they respect and integrate with our culture. Where I do think we fall down is in not also finding out and welcoming aspects of the culture of the person who has come here. Often there is a negative reaction to "foreigners" due to lack of understanding or the idea that they aren't going to become integrated.

We often see "well meaning" ideas that actually create a bigger problem than they solve. My local Sainsbury for example decided that in the cold meats aisle they should create a "Polish food" section. This got a lot of complaints - not least because it was creating difference rather than harmony. The same isle has German meats, Italian meats, Spanish meats etc but there is no need to have it is a separately marked out section by country. People are quite able to tell the difference between ham, chorizo, Kiełbasa piaszczańska etc

The British are just as bad when abroad - for example the French hate British ex-pats who move to France and then refuse to learn the language etc.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
To be honest I can never understand what point you are trying to make because your English is so poor.

Fairly straightforward on this occasion with just a bit of effort to allow for English not being his first language.

200_d.gif

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

How very tolerant and diverse.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
You don't need to. You can go back and see what it was a response to, if you can be bothered.

Why not both?:laugh:

I read and understood the post you were responding to, but missed the subtlety, if it was the dig about values of asylum seekers needing to change.

On the second sentence, good idea. In future I will use the rapier...and bash it in with the club just to make sure.

Top Bottom