The UK’s broken asylum system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
What you want my work schedule? No wonder @Pale Rider called you creepy stalker

Get back to work, you shirker

mudsticks

Squire
Shouldn't this be in the tackling the housing crisis thread??
(That you started)

There is indeed a shortage of affordable housing in many parts of the UK
Many of us have been at the sharp end of that for a lot of years.

But putting it here suggests that you think asylum seekers are the ones causing the issue, rather than it being a symptom of the disfunctional housing 'market'.

As a retired person I can rightly say you are all shirkers.

If you lot don't work harder the country won't be able to afford my triple-locked pension increases.

I endorse this message.

Shouldn't this be in the tackling the housing crisis thread??
(That you started)

There is indeed a shortage of affordable housing in many parts of the UK
Many of us have been at the sharp end of that for a lot of years.

But putting it here suggests that you think asylum seekers are the ones causing the issue, rather than it being a symptom of the disfunctional housing 'market'.

I can and will. I put it here particularly as 'evidence' in response to @icowden point.

Just to be absolutely crystal clear; I am not saying that the dysfunctional housing market is due to immigration, but that others will certainly weaponise it. Furthermore as I said upthread - there seems to be little mention in today's political debate as to what happens when people are released from their current incarceration in hotels (as Starmer want's to do by speeding-up the asylum process - which I wholeheartedly agree with), and either need to be looked after by the state or enter an already depleted rental system. I think that will be more fuel for the right than the current hotel situation....

Last edited:
Seriously - you can't google your own studies?
I can, that's exactly why i was asking because in this case i don;t need to rely on studies as there are some numbers and that is that people 97% off people with an status are still on benefits 10 years later in the Netherlands. Now the numbers for the uk could be different off course, would be great if the uk released hose numbers too but so far i known they don't. But from ''they work harder'' to 97% is quite the difference. Party it surely is true, i mean those Bulgarian Poles etc. come here (western europe) when there young they make a lot of hours so they have some savings a few years later.

However that is just one group, that won't even show in all many numbers because they are temporarly workers.

icowden

Legendary Member
Weirdly I can't find anything to substantiate what seems like a pretty outlandish claim on your part.

Here is some actual research:-
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/about-department/fiscal-effects-immigration-uk
That's from 2014 a bit dated, more recent(2018) is this one https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/resource/the-fiscal-impact-of-immigration-on-the-uk/ Showing in the pdf that natives cost the state, non-eea migrants cost the state and eea migrants bring in more then they cost. and their overall conclusion is that migration brings in 26billion or something.

icowden

Legendary Member
That's from 2014 a bit dated, more recent(2018) is this one https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/resource/the-fiscal-impact-of-immigration-on-the-uk/ Showing in the pdf that natives cost the state, non-eea migrants cost the state and eea migrants bring in more then they cost. and their overall conclusion is that migration brings in 26billion or something.
You cherry picked whilst also misunderstanding the report.

The study found that
  • The average UK-based migrant from Europe contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances in 2016/17 than the average UK adult. In comparison, each UK born adult contributed £70 less than the average, and each non-European migrant contributed over £800 less than the average.
  • The average European migrant arriving in the UK in 2016 will contribute £78,000 more than they take out in public services and benefits over their time spent in the UK (assuming a balanced national budget), and the average non-European migrant will make a positive net contribution of £28,000 while living here. By comparison, the average UK citizen’s net lifetime contribution in this scenario is zero.
  • Taken together, this means that the migrants who arrived in 2016 will make a total net positive contribution of £26.9 billion to the UK’s public finances over the entirety of their stay. The value of this to the UK’s public finances is equivalent to putting approximately 5p on income tax rates (across all marginal rate bands) in that year.
This report supports that immigration is good whether it be from Europe or not.

Top Bottom