These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Regular
At the 11th hour, I got a call from the schools vaccination service to say one of my children must NOT have the covid jab.
I won't go into personal medical details, but we hope a jab will still be possible. We await further information/recommendation from a consultant.

SChool has been the most likely source of infection for this family, so hopefully there was otherwise a good update of the vaccine. (For example, my other child did have it).

We've all seen or heard how healthy and fully jabbed can be quite ill with Covid. Now imagine that in a person who is frail or has underlying health issues. Most of us can think of several friends, colleagues and family that fall into vulnerable cohorts. Or there are plenty of members of CC who are well into retirement; age itself has a strong correlation with poor outcomes from Covid.

These are some of the reasons I don't like anti-vax and mask-sceptic attitudes. FFS why not retain basic precautions of masks and social distancing whilst we're in the midst of this pandemic?

Archie_tect

Mum [89] had her booster yesterday at the local chemist- easy to just turn up and the turn-around was very quick and efficient.

If Plan C is on the cards already we could yet have 'D-Day' cancelling Christmas, with households banned from mixing... that'll go down well and I expect any such rule will be as blatantly ignored as it was by many last year.

lazybloke

Regular
At the 11th hour, I got a call from the schools vaccination service to say one of my children must NOT have the covid jab.
I won't go into personal medical details, but we hope a jab will still be possible. We await further information/recommendation from a consultant.

SChool has been the most likely source of infection for this family, so hopefully there was otherwise a good update of the vaccine. (For example, my other child did have it).

We've all seen or heard how healthy and fully jabbed can be quite ill with Covid. Now imagine that in a person who is frail or has underlying health issues. Most of us can think of several friends, colleagues and family that fall into vulnerable cohorts. Or there are plenty of members of CC who are well into retirement; age itself has a strong correlation with poor outcomes from Covid.

These are some of the reasons I don't like anti-vax and mask-sceptic attitudes. FFS why not retain basic precautions of masks and social distancing whilst we're in the midst of this pandemic?
It's surely bad form to reply to myself, but there's breaking news in the form of a letter through the front door a moment ago. It says "your child needs to have two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. This is because they have been identified as having an increased risk of complications from Covid 19". This comes 8 days after a nurse said not to have the jab at all because of a risk of fatal reaction.

Well that was unexpected.
There's no information to quantify the relative risks, so how do I choose between complications from Covid 19 and a potentially fatal reaction to the jab? Peachy isn't it; sometimes it sucks being a parent and having to make such decisions (and not for the first time).
Time to speak to the GP and consultant again, see what info I can garner before my wife gets home.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I still haven't got over having had mask wearing presented as a matter of personal conscience. But mask wearing is not a personal matter - it's a social matter. We should never have the free choice to endanger other people and, jabbed or not, we can still harbour covid and transmit it to others. And we do.

The Zoe app currently calculates 92,954 daily new cases. We're approaching the 100,000 figure more like it was a target than a scourge.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I still haven't got over having had mask wearing presented as a matter of personal conscience. But mask wearing is not a personal matter - it's a social matter. We should never have the free choice to endanger other people and, jabbed or not, we can still harbour covid and transmit it to others. And we do.

The Zoe app currently calculates 92,954 daily new cases. We're approaching the 100,000 figure more like it was a target than a scourge.
C41,000 last I saw, true, it’s a lot, but, not “approaching” 100,000 in my view.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
C41,000 last I saw, true, it’s a lot, but, not “approaching” 100,000 in my view.
Government figures are just below 44,000 but testing is only at 50% capacity over the last 7 days. Don't test, don't find, particularly during half term holidays. I've found the Zoe figures to be more up to date - they're adjusted daily according to live reporting.

BoldonLad

Government figures are just below 44,000 but testing is only at 50% capacity over the last 7 days. Don't test, don't find, particularly during half term holidays. I've found the Zoe figures to be more up to date - they're adjusted daily according to live reporting.

Don't recall where I read it, but, apparently Germany test figures are significantly lower than our, so, on the "don't test don't find" principle, does that mean their quoted infection rates may not be as much better than ours?

Don't recall where I read it, but, apparently Germany test figures are significantly lower than our, so, on the "don't test don't find" principle, does that mean their quoted infection rates may not be as much better than ours?
Am in Germany as I write. A big difference here is that everybody wears masks in public and you will be challenged if you don't. Also Covid passes are required for Hotels etc.
It would surprise me if their rates are higher than ours.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Their current death rates are around half ours. (141.14 v 79) Source: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/germany?country=DEU~GBR So, they've either got less of a problem or they're significantly better at looking after their patients. Could be a case of and, rather than either/or

BoldonLad

Their current death rates are around half ours. (141.14 v 79) Source: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/germany?country=DEU~GBR So, they've either got less of a problem or they're significantly better at looking after their patients. Could be a case of and, rather than either/or

Or, since most (not all) of our fatalities had pre-existing conditions, they may have fewer people with pre-existing conditions.

My point is, comparing figures is somewhat pointless, unless they are compatible, the old "comparing apples with pears" from school days.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
It's surely bad form to reply to myself, but there's breaking news in the form of a letter through the front door a moment ago. It says "your child needs to have two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. This is because they have been identified as having an increased risk of complications from Covid 19". This comes 8 days after a nurse said not to have the jab at all because of a risk of fatal reaction.

Well that was unexpected.
There's no information to quantify the relative risks, so how do I choose between complications from Covid 19 and a potentially fatal reaction to the jab? Peachy isn't it; sometimes it sucks being a parent and having to make such decisions (and not for the first time).
Time to speak to the GP and consultant again, see what info I can garner before my wife gets home.
Without more information this is really tricky.

What condition has your child got for the nurse to give that judgement? What underlying condition does your child have which means you believe that they may be at more risk if they catch it? How do the two interact? What precautions are you taking? What does your child think? What else are they taking?

These are all rhetorical by the way, you don't have to answer them!

However.......... you make these decisions 00,000s a time when a child is growing up, essentially this one is no different at all. This just seems harder. If your child could have a potentially fatal reaction to the Covid vaccine, and this is top line because I don't know your child, then that risk is pretty much there with every other new medicine they may ever take, and my guess is you didn't hesitate with HPV, Meningitis and any of the dozens of other vaccines they will need and may need as they get older.

Also there are different types of vaccine remember, so if definitely allergic to A, there is B, C and soon D as options which may be clinically more suitable.

Good luck

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Am in Germany as I write. A big difference here is that everybody wears masks in public and you will be challenged if you don't. Also Covid passes are required for Hotels etc.
It would surprise me if their rates are higher than ours.
That would surprise me a lot as well as their whole approach seems to have been better than ours, but I don't believe that the way infection statistics are arrived at and the difference in testing regimes across countries are giving us any really meaningful comparisons.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
At the risk of being accused of using an inappropriate analogy, I remember a phrase I last heard years ago; "statistics are like a bikini, what they show is interesting but what they hide is vital"

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Or, since most (not all) of our fatalities had pre-existing conditions, they may have fewer people with pre-existing conditions.

My point is, comparing figures is somewhat pointless, unless they are compatible, the old "comparing apples with pears" from school days.
What assumptions would you need use to arrive at the conclusion that they may have fewer people with co-morbidities?

Top Bottom