These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Are you able to elaborate? In my naivety it would seem reasonable to count deaths over a five year period prior to the pandemic, calculate an average, and compare it with 2020 and 2021. Rough and ready but it should be fairly indicative. It also seems to me that it is easy to do for each country and would remove testing and reporting differences quite well.

I'm not sure what this means. My suggestion is that by comparing deaths in an average year (statisticians may wish to quibble about the definition and method of calculation) we can usefully see who did better or worse and seek to emulate best practice.

Are you able to say more? It's ok to say that you don't know, too.

Yes, that seems like a reasonable measure to me.

It will also be interesting (IMHO) to see if the average diminishes over the next five years (ie 2022-2026), but, of course, we cannot know that until 2026 or later.

It will also be interesting (IMHO) to see if the average diminishes over the next five years (ie 2022-2026), but, of course, we cannot know that until 2026 or later.
I’m not a statistician but I guess there will be valid ways to have a rolling average that takes account of the unusual peaks in ‘20 and ‘21.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Are you able to elaborate? In my naivety it would seem reasonable to count deaths over a five year period prior to the pandemic, calculate an average, and compare it with 2020 and 2021.
But some countries had a sharply increased death rate, that meant that stats were slewed. Don't get me wrong, excess deaths is by far the better measure, and the UK still comes out in the top 3 or 4 however it is cut, but the measure can be slewed considerably by a minor data set change.
I'm not sure what this means.
It means that some people are alive today because of the lockdown decisions, including thousands who would have covid and died, but also the approximately 11,000+ fewer deaths due to air pollution?
we can usefully see who did better or worse and seek to emulate best practice.
Again I am afraid this is just too simplistic. If the best practice is shown to be allowed 0 movement, no-one comes into or goes out of the country, house curfew for 20+ hours a day. How do we achieve that in England, and it would have to be England as Wales and Scotland have devolved responsibility for covid policies. A hard border between England and Wales and England and Scotland? People ignored lockdowns, and lets face it, there would be arguments on here about which was the best practice to follow anyway!

swansonj

Regular
Would you hold the government responsible for those issues as well?
Yes, for the unnecessarily large scale of them, absolutely.

By delaying instituting lockdown too long, and by failing to introduce an effective test and trace system, and by failing to create appropriate incentives for people to isolate when necessary, this government ensured that lockdown lasted vastly longer than it need have done, so all those social problems stemming from lockdown are much worse than they need have been.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
By delaying instituting lockdown too long, and by failing to introduce an effective test and trace system, and by failing to create appropriate incentives for people to isolate when necessary, this government ensured that lockdown lasted vastly longer than it need have done, so all those social problems stemming from lockdown are much worse than they need have been.
This could be altered to read By delaying instituting lockdown too long, and by failing to introduce an effective test and trace system, ... the German government ensured that lockdown lasted vastly longer than it need have done, so all those social problems stemming from lockdown are much worse than they need have been.

Merkel was undoubtedly better than Johnson by a long way, but in a situation no-one currently in political leadership had encountered before mistakes have been made by all governments. Johnson was particularly bad at the beginning.

I suspect the number of deaths due to the pandemic will not vary enormously from country to country, as the only options are be vaccinated and be spared serious illness, or be infected and either recover, have serious long-term problems from it or die from it. The willingness to be vaccinated will feature in this.

What will also be telling is the number of deaths due to postponed operations or other treatment where the healthcare system was overwhelmed with covid cases. This will reveal the general quality of healthcare available and show which governments acted promptly enough to flatten the curve and save medical capacity for non-covid illnesses.

But some countries had a sharply increased death rate, that meant that stats were slewed.
Its’s those variations that are interesting.
It means that some people are alive today because of the lockdown decisions, including thousands who would have covid and died, but also the approximately 11,000+ fewer deaths due to air pollution?
I don’t know the reliability of your 11,000 figure, but even if true it is only a few percent of the total, so within an acceptable margin of error.
Again I am afraid this is just too simplistic.
There were and are judgements to be made about how much state control will be tolerated, but I feel it should be possible to make comparisons with similarly democratic, liberal, rich nations.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Strangely, many chose to carry on working to pay the rent and feed their children rather than trying to survive on SSP.
Oh really, where did they all work then? I thought the problem being bemoaned on here for months last year was the fact that all the businesses had closed and furlough wasn't enough? So, a good slogan, but demonstrably incorrect as being on SSP wouldn't have been a thing now would it?

Its’s those variations that are interesting.
There have been some some spike in death rates over the previous 5 years, especially in rich, industrialised countries weirdly! See here
1635453861954.png

I don’t know the reliability of your 11,000 figure, but even if true it is only a few percent of the total, so within an acceptable margin of error.
Well, it would counter-balance the total by somewhere around 9% or so. Again, I think you like to misinterpret me, but the figures of people who didn't die need to be factored in to calculations and comments on the response too.

There were and are judgements to be made about how much state control will be tolerated, but I feel it should be possible to make comparisons with similarly democratic, liberal, rich nations.
And I think we have seen quite clearly that modern, industrialised, rich, western societies are very bad at conforming to any restrictions placed upon them!

classic33

Oh really, where did they all work then? I thought the problem being bemoaned on here for months last year was the fact that all the businesses had closed and furlough wasn't enough? So, a good slogan, but demonstrably incorrect as being on SSP wouldn't have been a thing now would it?

There have been some some spike in death rates over the previous 5 years, especially in rich, industrialised countries weirdly! See here
View attachment 144

Well, it would counter-balance the total by somewhere around 9% or so. Again, I think you like to misinterpret me, but the figures of people who didn't die need to be factored in to calculations and comments on the response too.

And I think we have seen quite clearly that modern, industrialised, rich, western societies are very bad at conforming to any restrictions placed upon them!
"Here" didn't exist two months ago, much less a year ago.

Oh really, where did they all work then? I thought the problem being bemoaned on here for months last year was the fact that all the businesses had closed and furlough wasn't enough?
Not everyone was on furlough. I can’t link to them but there were definitely posts highlighting the pitifully low rate of SSP.

144[/ATTACH]
Interesting. Where is “here”?

[QUOTE="Craig the cyclist, post: 4187, member: 27”]
Again, I think you like to misinterpret me
[/QUOTE]
I have literally asked you to clarify what you mean , so I don’t understand why you would think that.

[QUOTE="Craig the cyclist, post: 4187, member: 27”]
[/QUOTE]
And yet there are still apparently large variations between the outcomes in those societies.

Top Bottom