These Covid Polices Are Going Well .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I have not been to France this year but when I was over there in August 2000 their mask compliance was better than in the UK.

Mrs B was challenged by Security in the Hypermarket for wearing a faceguard rather than a mask. In the UK she's borderline exempt because she's had several episodes of breathing difficulty and associated panic while wearing a mask; mostly linked with physical exertion, for example on lengthy staircases.
Yes, we were in Spain when the “COVID thing” kicked off, then, travelled back to UK, via France. At that time, compliance with various rules, appeared patchy, in both Countries, from what we saw.

Schools, and therefore progress in education, continue to suffer:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ools-struggling-to-cope-as-covid-wreaks-havoc

OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

Is there any evidence that any of the many, many countries, which are performing better than UK, have higher mask wearing figures? In particular, any of our European or Scandinavian cousins?

Is there evidence to the contrary ?

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Is there evidence to the contrary ?

As I have said, more than once, I don't dispute that we appear to be doing badly. However, when looking for reasons, I just think it may be best to apply a bit of logic to the process.

Over the months of Covid, we have had various hysterical outbursts about people going to the beach, parks, etc etc., all allegedly causing increased transmission.

My point, in short, is, does anyone actually know? Are we being told the truth?

As I have said, more than once, I don't dispute that we appear to be doing badly. However, when looking for reasons, I just think it may be best to apply a bit of logic to the process.

Over the months of Covid, we have had various hysterical outbursts about people going to the beach, parks, etc etc., all allegedly causing increased transmission.

It is, I think, accepted scientific fact that the virus is primarily transmitted by airborne particles. I'm also assuming the numbers reported for infections, hospitalisations and deaths are accurate and that in so far as they're not the level of inaccuracy is consistent.

As far as beaches and parks go then I don't think hysteria, as a description of media coverage, political statements and police etc action is far off beam. Festivals, where people are much closer together moshing etc may however be a vector. So might footie matches - outdoors but in close proximity to strangers.

The main vector though is schools, university, workplace, family/friends etc etc. My own employer has re-introduced a policy of mandatory masks away from your desk and particularly in common areas like staircases and the general office. I suspect return to the office may be slowed and re-opening for face to face and drop ins will be postponed.

Government seems to be exactly where it was last year when faced with scientists advising a 'circuit breaker' lockdown; hostages to the libertarian wing on their own benches.

the snail

Seems fairly clear, it's not rocket science. IMO, the government has made a cynical political judgement - they face pressure from the right to lift restrictions, but don't seem to suffer any backlash over tens of thousands of excess deaths, so they abandoned all restrictions, despite more infectious variants, a faltering immunisation campaign, so now we're in a similar or worse position than a year ago, when we were looking at another lockdown. Johnson has been pathetic right the way through this crisis.

lazybloke

Regular
So might footie matches - outdoors but in close proximity to strangers.
I assume it was the Euros that caused the early summer spike of UK cases.
Maybe people in close proximity in stadia; but pubs surely were superspreader venues.

Bit of a shame the Covid app was nobbled by data privacy concerns; otherwise it could have provided the most fantastic dataset.

Beebo

Veteran
Bit of a shame the Covid app was nobbled by data privacy concerns; otherwise it could have provided the most fantastic dataset.
If you can remember as far back as June last year we were promised a world beating app. And that Lockdown was dependent on everyone having the app.
Then it was quickly brushed under the carpet and all bets were off.

Milzy

My brother and sister in law came from Canada to attend a funeral. Now my sister in law has Covid & must stay for another two weeks. My brother was negative so rushed back to North America for the kids and dog.
My sister in law is devastated & misses her family. She’s been living with an unvaxxed family & they’re all negative.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
So, the south-west, which has been doing so well compared to much of the rest of the UK, gets an estimated 43,000 negative PCR results from Immensa, the ''fast track,'' no-tender, government-licensed testing company of Wolverhampton. An estimate of the number of cases this might have led to was 200,000 - I heard this on BBC Radio 4 but didn't understand all that the expert was saying. Now, No10 is denying that the false negatives have had any bearing on the fact that the SW now has the highest infection rates in the country. According to No10, they were simply catching up with the rest of the country. Guardian link.

Anyway, if giving inaccurate results is so harmless, it makes me wonder what is the point of bothering with testing in the first place. We'd had could have saved the taxpayer the £119 million contract going to Immensa. Unless, of course, it has actually been very harmful.....

Milzy

I’m afraid our Government has allowed Covid related things like wearing of masks to become a culture war. It’s now fully political. We are stuck with Covid & people won’t wear them for the next 50 years. It has become a type of Brexit on stances.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
The graph is very striking, and you’re right about the per population metric. But Germany, France, Italy and Spain are all on the list. And anyone with an understanding knows that these countries have large populations.
Which ever way you cut it the UK is doing badly.
Even those figures per population don't tell the full story. UK, for example has tested around six or more times as many as Germany and one scientist today said they test a tenth of our numbers. If confirmed cases/infections result from that testing cohort then Germany is always going to look much better than us.
A figure based on cases per 1000 tested would give a better idea of true infection rates.

I am not defending or attacking the UK performance on infections but saying that the whole issue is too complex to base on one type of statistic, and too open to bias or confirmation bias.

OP
OP
FishFright

FishFright

I’m afraid our Government has allowed Covid related things like wearing of masks to become a culture war. It’s now fully political. We are stuck with Covid & people won’t wear them for the next 50 years. It has become a type of Brexit on stances.

Darwinism in action , let those who think a small piece of cloth is a cross worth dying on get their wish. I just hope they don't take too sensible people down with them.

Top Bottom