Time for a PEP talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Pharaoh
Anyway, the really funny thing about the apology letter is this bit:

" To this end, I would also like to personally reiterate our offer to you of alternative banking arrangements at NatWest."

...which is a pointed way of saying they are still not letting him back into Coutts.

That letter is far from what it seems at first glance. It's designed to kill the story, but it is also a "fûck you" to Farage.

multitool

Pharaoh

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Dear God.

I didn't know it was humanely possible to produce that much cheese.

It's OK, no bacterial microbes were harmed in its production.

Are you sure it's journalism that you do?

Farage has said that Coutts were forced into it by the treasury. All they have apologised for is the comments in the minutes that he obtained, pretty much all of which were factual and based on reportage of Farage (and much of which was generated by Farage himself directly or indirectly).

They have also said that they will not reinstate him and have again offered him a Natwest account. Nigel by return is still frothing.

It's lucky that no-one has been denied financial services based on whether they have exercised their lawful right to free speech. They just stopped owing the bank money and weren't rich enough to continue having a bank account reserved for the rich and powerful - so they got offered an ordinary bank account. Like ordinary people have.

Are you sure it's comprehension that you do?

My brother has dealt with Ms Rose a couple of times.

She won't have liked having to make that apology, and I wouldn't want to be whoever it was in Coutts/RBS who wrote that insulting, and incredibly dumb, memo.

But this is not just about Farage.

What part of that do you not understand?

He has sparked the dreaded 'full review' by RBS into how they deal with PEPs, the other banks are bound to do the same, and the government is circling with legislation in mind.

All that is aimed at the other, mostly unnamed account holders who may, or may not, have been dealt with badly under the PEP rules.

That's a pretty good result for any campaign that has only been running a few weeks.

multitool

Pharaoh
That's a pretty good result for any campaign that has only been running a few weeks.

And in that we have the truth.

This is all about Farage. Farage is always about Farage and keeping himself in the news, because otherwise his grift dies, and therefore his revenue stream. As ever with these crypto-fascists it's about casting themselves as victims of a secret elite. As if Coutts is just an everyday bank.

The curious thing is how the RW press AND a large coterie of Tory politicians including Sunak have been co-opted into this. Its an unholy pact of ghouls pushing a culture war agenda against 'woke', that irritating meaningless word. I think it is symptomatic of the threat posed by Labour that these people, nominally enemies, are co-operating.

Also, as I've already said, you are misreading the apology letter. It's a carefully crafted two-fingered salute to Farage. An intelligent reading of it shows that actually it doesn't give Farage anything that he wants.

CXRAndy

Guru
And in that we have the truth.

This is all about Farage. Farage is always about Farage and keeping himself in the news, because otherwise his grift dies, and therefore his revenue stream. As ever with these crypto-fascists it's about casting themselves as victims of a secret elite. As if Coutts is just an everyday bank.

The curious thing is how the RW press AND a large coterie of Tory politicians including Sunak have been co-opted into this. Its an unholy pact of ghouls pushing a culture war agenda against 'woke', that irritating meaningless word. I think it is symptomatic of the threat posed by Labour that these people, nominally enemies, are co-operating.

Also, as I've already said, you are misreading the apology letter. It's a carefully crafted two-fingered salute to Farage. An intelligent reading of it shows that actually it doesn't give Farage anything that he wants.

Give him some love, poor thing. :laugh:

multitool

Pharaoh
Like him or not

he is

The most influential political figure in the UK of the 21st century

He has again made an institution tremble its knees in fear

Not in a good way, though. He is, as intelligent people have always known, purely destructive. He offers no solutions to anything.

That's the nature of populism. It seduces idiots.

CXRAndy

Guru
Remind us how many times Farage stood to be an MP, and how many times he was successful.

Tell me which person who wasn't an MP, steered the UK out of the EU, by forcing the government into a referendum, where the majority voted to leave the EU.

multitool

Pharaoh
Tell me which person who wasn't an MP, steered the UK out of the EU, by forcing the government into a referendum, where the majority voted to leave the EU.

The majority didn't vote for Farage. They voted against him.

As for Brexit, the fools who were seduced by it are now remorseful, which is why the UK will rejoin within a generation.

CXRAndy

Guru
The majority didn't vote for Farage. They voted against him.

As for Brexit, the fools who were seduced by it are now remorseful, which is why the UK will rejoin within a generation.

Its a shame you're not likely to see it with your blood pressuring issues.

You take care now - try and calm down a little :okay:

Screenshot_20230721_074428_Chrome.jpg

multitool

Pharaoh
Psychological research shows that people are only able to assess the intelligence of others up to, but not beyond, their own level.

I think that is what is going on here.

Top Bottom