Time for a PEP talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Coutts broke a golden rule of internet use.

Never type anything on a computer which you are not prepared to see on the front page of a newspaper.

Also, do not make “amusing” little speeches which may be videoed on mobile phone(s) 😊

CXRAndy

Guru
I wonder if N Farage can get access to the file that seems to have blocked his attempts with other banks. A secret sharing of information between banks. -black list

Coutts internal paperwork says he was booted out due to his views and public persona.

Seems at first they tried to portray it as a financial decision.

This has been an object lesson on how not to respond to a story.

Just to be certain, that's the only reason?

Can 'private' organisations not pick and chose these days who they deal with in certain parts of their business?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran

Can 'private' organisations not pick and chose these days who they deal with in certain parts of their business?

Only reason as far as I can gather.

Your second point is an interesting one.

A simple retail sale is said to be 'an invitation to treat'.

The retailer is offering the goods, but it's entirely up to him if he proceeds with an offer to buy.

I imagine banking, being an all but essential service, operates under different regulations.

CXRAndy

Guru

They can, but also they're obliged to provide a basic account to almost everyone, even those without an address.

Nigel Farage would like to have a business account also

BoldonLad

I would imagine it depends on the basis that they “pick and choose”. For example, I can’t see any business or private organisation “getting away with” refusing to deal with women. (Not saying they should get away with it).

Last edited:

spen666

They can, but also they're obliged to provide a basic account to almost everyone, even those without an address.

To take a slightly different line... how do banks comply with money laundering regulations in opening a bank account for a homeless person?

Craig the cyclist

Über Member

Quite clearly not. There have been all sorts of challenges from confirming this.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
To take a slightly different line... how do banks comply with money laundering regulations in opening a bank account for a homeless person?

My ex-bank manager brother told me what should happen is account activity is more closely monitored.

You would expect a homeless person's account to turn over little money.

If it turns over lots, or there's a big spike, enquiries should be made to see if there's anything afoot.

Nigel Farage would like to have a business account also

They have offered a Nat West Account - was that business or personal?
Was his Coutts account business or personal?
Coutts will turn down business if it's not suitable for them.

I would imagine it depends on the basis that they “pick and choose”. For example, I can’t see any business or private organisation “getting away with” refusing to deal with women. (Not saying they should get away with it).

At what point does discrimination law kick-in? Can you discriminate in businesson the basis of political belief/past activity/potential future risk?

If you run a 'green' bank can you refuse to give accounts to oil businesses.

BoldonLad

At what point does discrimination law kick-in? Can you discriminate in businesson the basis of political belief/past activity/potential future risk?

No idea. Consult an appropriately qualified expert.

A hotpotch of laws, often introduced as a knee jerk reaction ensures the legal profession is a safe bet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran

I suspect the banks have a freer hand with business accounts, particularly if limited companies.

Companies generally have less rights in terms of being libelled or discriminated against compared to an individual.

Not directly relevant, but it's more or less impossible to libel a business or a local authority, although McDonald's had some impact on the former.

Worth remembering you can libel an employee of a company and both elected members and officers at the local authority.

Quote/
"Farage later obtained evidence that suggested both factors were considered by the bank’s bosses.

The politician said documents released to him by the bank under data protection laws showed senior staff had taken into account his “xenophobic, chauvinistic and racist views”, as well as the risk to the organisation’s own reputation by dealing with him, alongside an assessment of his adherence to its wealth criteria when deciding to close his accounts."/ End

This suggests that his views were a part of the consideration, not the whole consideration - the other being financial suitability....

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...outts-bank-account?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Mind you, be intetesting to see what other unpleasants Coutts provide safe harbour....

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom