Time for a PEP talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I thought the same.

If you were on your way to work in Barclays in The Strand you'd be tempted to spit on Coutts' window as you walked past.

Just imagine the 1000 yard stare at the next banking convention :laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
Just imagine the 1000 yard stare at the next banking convention :laugh:

On a more serious note, the banks up to now have been given increasing responsibilities to deal with money laundering.

I hope they don't now say 'sod it, anyone can have an account and we'll turn a blind eye to all the transactions'.

It should be possible to differentiate the two - political leanings and suspicious transactions - but Coutts seem to have got themselves a little confused over it.

CXRAndy

Guru
On a more serious note, the banks up to now have been given increasing responsibilities to deal with money laundering.

I hope they don't now say 'sod it, anyone can have an account and we'll turn a blind eye to all the transactions'.

It should be possible to differentiate the two - political leanings and suspicious transactions - but Coutts seem to have got themselves a little confused over it.

I'm all for checking for fraudster, illegal laundering.

They do it all the time with my bank. I constantly get messages over me buying a bottle of wine from the local Coop, have to clear/verify payment. Then the bank doesn't bat an eye lid when I drop £50k on a car with a debit card.

CXRAndy

Guru
At 2am, NatWest’s chairman Sir Howard Davies said: “The Board and Alison Rose have agreed, by mutual consent, that she will step down as CEO of the NatWest Group. It is a sad moment.” :cry:

Dame Alison thanked her colleagues “for all that they have done”, adding: "I remain immensely proud of the progress the bank has made in supporting people, families and business across the UK,:wacko: and building the foundations for sustainable woke growth.”

This morning, city minister Andrew Griffith said it is “right” she resigned. :wahhey:

“The next question is: what will the NatWest board do?

"Only yesterday they were declaring full confidence in her. How can they expect customers, shareholders and the taxpayer to retain confidence in them?”

Sack the bloody lot of them

Now we want to see robust rules on protecting customers from banks with woke affirming agendas.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Now we want to see robust rules on protecting customers from banks with woke affirming agendas.

Sorry that ship sailed years back..

'Ethical' banks and building societies have been a thing for years.

I've had a mortgage and done banking (including business banking) with at least three of them over the years.

'Coutts' wasn't one of them.

What exactly is a 'woke affirming' agenda in your view.??

Reactions: C R

CXRAndy

Guru
Example

Just look at this the opposite, the banks are all right wing supremacist leaning. You as a black person are told you're not allowed a bank account anymore ,because you openly support black rights for equal opportunity. Would you think that was fair, No I dont think so?

I don’t believe you’ve thought this through, have you? :whistle:

'Ethical' banks and building societies have been a thing for years.

I've had a mortgage and done banking (including business banking) with at least three of them over the years.

They should now be reigned in and made to do just banking for every customer in the UK.

what did you think of the example I gave, is it fair?

mudsticks

Squire
They should now be reigned in and made to do just banking for every customer in the UK.

what did you think of the example I gave, is it fair?

Who is 'they'??

Are you saying ethically inclined banks shouldn't be allowed to operate like that.??

That they shouldn't be allowed to offer services to people who would rather avoid investing in exploitative, or damaging activities such as the arms trade, oil corps, tobacco etc.

The example you gave of your (personal) fantasy of a racist right wing authoritarian take over of the financial world, is so risable as to not be worthy of comment.

CXRAndy

Guru
The example you gave of your (personal) fantasy of a racist right wing authoritarian take over of the financial world, is so risable as to not be worthy of comment.

You cant acknowledge that when the boot is on the other foot, it squashes your argument flat. :laugh:

It was never about Nigel Farage, but your disdain for him has locked you into a no win position.

Its about the common person losing their bank accounts.

If a person the banks thought they could cancel without a noise, have made one of the biggest mistakes in recent history.

This is a primary topic for discussion in government. Lets see what happens come September when recess is over.

mudsticks

Squire
You cant acknowledge that when the boot is on the other foot, it squashes your argument flat. :laugh:

It was never about Nigel Farage, but your disdain for him has locked you into a no win position.

If a person the banks thought they could cancel without a noise, have made one of the biggest mistakes in recent history.

This is a primary topic for discussion in government. Lets see what happens come September when recess is over.

It doesn't squash anything flat I'm afraid - it's just fantasy bahoolix of yours..

No one was 'cancelling' Farrige, they just preferred not to have to do business with the nasty shyster.
Yes I have utter disdain for him and his behaviour.

Alison has been dismissed (or stood down) for being indiscreet about talking about the matter to the press.

This is not about the 'common man' losing rights to a bank account at all.
We're talking about a bank that trades on wealth and (supposed) prestige, wanting to drop someone they see as a risky client .

You still haven't said whether, and if so why you would want to see ethical banking ended.

Nor what this 'woke agenda' that seems to trouble you so, actually is .

This is not a primary topic for government discussion come September - that should be tackling the climate crisis, and the dire poverty in which some people find themselves.

But they probably will make some noise about banks and finance - as money (mainly getting more of it for themselves) is their primary driver.

And it will be another handy distraction from real issues.

multitool

Pharaoh

With Farage, it is always about Farage

Lol.

You are contradicting yourself. You were telling us Farage lost his account because of his high-profile political views. Now you are telling us it isn't about high-profile people.

You lap up Farage's nonsense so easily

CXRAndy

Guru
With Farage, it is always about Farage

Lol.

You are contradicting yourself. You were telling us Farage lost his account because of his high-profile political views. Now you are telling us it isn't about high-profile people.

You lap up Farage's nonsense so easily

It's about having the right to an account without background checks on your politics. There are many other incidences of this. Plus the right to have a bank account.

I like the fact they the banks picked on the wrong fella :laugh:

Top Bottom