Time for a PEP talk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You do if they think they can make political capital out of it.

That.

Exactly.

multitool

You also don't get the prime minister, the chancellor, and some other senior bloke in the treasury poking their noses in if there's nothing to smell.

Oh, do you not?

Screenshot_20230727_073323_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fool.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Veteran
OK, OK, it's all a political conspiracy.

Someone in Conservative Central Office worked out they could profit from a sector wide debanking scandal led by Nigel Farage.

Quite how, they weren't sure, but it seemed worth a go.

Thus Sunak told MI5 to find out where Farage banked.

The snoops did their job, finding it was Coutts.

Sunak and the chancellor immediately jumped into a fast black to meet Alison Rose.

They told her she would have to prevail on the Coutts chief exec to close Farage's account, pepper the paperwork with nasty allegations, but she would handle the leak.

She readily agreed, knowing it would lose her her £5m a year job.

D

Deleted member 159

£850 million wiped off the flat lining share price of NatWest. Probably data breach enforcement from the information commissioner, fines that could run into hundred of millions.

Economic secretary hauled the banks into a meeting

Economic secretary Andrew Griffith told the bosses of some of the UK’s biggest banks on Wednesday that it is important to protect freedom of expression.

Mr Griffith added: “I hope the whole financial sector learns from this incident. Its role is to serve customers well and fairly – not to tell them how or what to think.”

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, he said: “It is absolutely important, the Government has been crystal clear throughout, that no one should be de-banked because of their political opinions or something within the law that they have said.”

The Treasury said the bank bosses at the meeting had committed to “the principle of non-discrimination based on lawful freedom of expression.”

They also said they would bring their policies in line with the Government’s planned reforms as soon as possible.

The new rules will mean banks have to give 90 days’ notice before closing an account and spell out the reasons for shutting it down. Banks can avoid giving reasons if doing so would interfere in a criminal investigation.

How a bank would do this without alerting a customer to an ongoing criminal investigation was not explained.

The meeting was attended by Barclays UK chief executive Matt Hammerstein, HSBC UK boss Ian Stuart, Philip Robinson, a managing director at Lloyds, Nationwide boss Debbie Crosbie, NatWest retail banking head David Lindberg, Santander UK boss Mike Regnier, Sheldon Mills from the Financial Conduct Authority and James Babbage from the National Crime Agency.

multitool

That's the trouble with conspiracy theories - they make the theorist look stupid.

Yep, as do strawman.

Wouldn't it be a funny coincidence if we found that GBeebies owners shorted NatWest? I'm not saying the whole thing could have been planned in detail but I have no doubt that manufactured turmoil can be used to advantage.

D

Deleted member 159

Wouldn't it be a funny coincidence if we found that GBeebies owners shorted NatWest? I'm not saying the whole thing could have been planned in detail but I have no doubt that manufactured turmoil can be used to advantage.

He shorted the position last year on Natwest

multitool

Oh dear, 'binary', 'strawman', what next 'false equivalence', 'mansplaining'?

Let's all play internet bullshite bingo.

Or let's not.

Instead, why don't you - or one of the others alleging similar - explain how this is all a Tory plot?

I don't need to. Nor does anyone else, because this is a fabrication all of your own. A strawman.

You really are astoundingly thick, aren't you :laugh:

multitool

No answer, as ever.

To what? Your strawman? :laugh:

straw man

noun
noun: strawman
  1. 1.​
    an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument.
    "her familiar procedure of creating a straw man by exaggerating their approach"

That mixture of unmerited pomposity and sheer stupidity is really quite special. Few can manage it. :notworthy:

Top Bottom