Twitter under Musk....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Über Member
It's not important to me but you lot have 4 pages worth of interest in it already?

Well it's pretty big news isn't it?

D

Deleted member 28

Cos the richest man in the world, and as a consequence a very powerful and influential individual already, wants to spend enormous amounts of money, on one of the biggest social media platforms, with a claim of wanting to bring back free speech, that's why.

Humour me, why is this so important then?

Isn't free speech a good thing?

There's always the 'off' button don't forget.

mudsticks

Squire

Because some dangerous, and highly amoral people (often those who have become rich and powerful, through the same mechanism ) will try to spread lies, misinformation, and hate speech under the guise of 'free speech'

See Trump and his claim of the election being 'stolen' and subsequent 'insurrection'

See oil corps and their climate change denying.

See Farage and his brexit lies, and spreading of xenophobia, and racism.

See Yaxley Lennon, and his shenanigans

Some less educated people will fall for an easy lie to in place of discovering the more complicated by truth .
Eg "taking back control"

Especially if it plays to their already formed prejudices, or unconcious biases .

'Free speech' comes with a responsibility of truth telling, and consideration for the welfare of others.

You'll be horrified to discover that not everyone cares about the last two, when they exercise their so called 'free speech'.

D

Deleted member 28

Because some dangerous, and highly amoral people (often those who have become rich and powerful, through the same mechanism ) will try to spread lies, misinformation, and hate speech under the guise of 'free speech'

See Trump and his claim of the election being 'stolen' and subsequent 'insurrection'

See oil corps and their climate change denying.

See Farage and his brexit lies, and spreading of xenophobia, and racism.

See Yaxley Lennon, and his shenanigans

Some less educated people will fall for an easy lie to in place of discovering the more complicated by truth .
Eg "taking back control"

Especially if it plays to their already formed prejudices, or unconcious biases .

'Free speech' comes with a responsibility of truth telling, and consideration for the welfare of others.

You'll be horrified to discover that not everyone cares about the last two, when they exercise their so called 'free speech'.

And there lies the problem with todays society, people not living in that 'real world ' of mine.

Why does twitter even exist, what's wrong with speaking to real people who you actually know and might just be worth taking notice of?

Until I unintentionally stumbled across limpnoodle's post about kneeling down at football matches I always avoided internet discussions on anything other than the forum subject but I must admit I've seen nothing since to think conversing with strangers on the web is anything other than a good way to have a row.

Passes a bit of time though.

Mugshot

Über Member

Free speech is a good thing, allowing any Tom, Dick and Harry to spread bullshit and hate speech to millions on a global platform is not.
Censoring the spreading of bullshit and hate speech is not cancelling or restricting free speech.
What Musk intends doing remains to be seen of course.

WRT the off button, yes it's there, for me and you, the issue is if the off button is turned back on for the charlatans and shysters currently on the twitter block list.

Or, what @mudsticks said.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Free speech is a good thing, allowing any Tom, Dick and Harry to spread bullshit and hate speech to millions on a global platform is not.
Censoring the spreading of bullshit and hate speech is not cancelling or restricting free speech.

WRT the off button, yes it's there, for me and you, the issue is if the off button is turned back on for the charlatans and shysters currently on the twitter block list.

Isn't the problem, who decides what to censor and what to let through?

mudsticks

Squire
And there lies the problem with todays society, people not living in that 'real world ' of mine.

Why does twitter even exist, what's wrong with speaking to real people who you actually know and might just be worth taking notice of?

Until I unintentionally stumbled across limpnoodle's post about kneeling down at football matches I always avoided internet discussions on anything other than the forum subject but I must admit I've seen nothing since to think conversing with strangers on the web is anything other than a good way to have a row.

Passes a bit of time though.
I live in the 'real' world just like you do.
But If i only spoke to people I met in day to day life I"d only get a fraction of the story.

Through work, leisure, and political engagement i meet, and converse with hundreds of different people every year, possibly even thousands, from all sorts of backgrounds, but that doesn't stop me being interested in life online, and how that's conducted too.

Who gets their say, who gets heard, who doesn't..
What lies are told, and believed, where people get their information, who holds power and influence, political and fiscal.

It's all part of 'real life' as it is lived right now.

Pretending it doesn't have an effect on people in the 'real world' is just total nonsense.

Maybe you only find it 'good for a row' because you're either not really interested, or you're the belligerent sort who just likes winding people up for some kind of 'sport'..

Come to think of it you've said as much before..

D

Deleted member 28

So how does all this enhance your life then?

All I seem to hear from you is how cra*p the country is , the government is, the Police are, the treatment of Women etc etc.

Thank f*ck you have a 'brilliant ' life as imagine how bad things would seem then.

And musk suggested to change the current system to an open source system so there is no longer a discussion about what is wrong and what is right.
So that's making the system better an controlable, making the system no longer based on whether the left-wing mob likes you or not.. So no wonder they are the one's crying about how bad it is. If i would have spare time i would dig up their old tweets after trumps ban to expose their sheer hypocrisy (and trump was actually banned, they are just afraid they can't control the rules anymore. )
Isn't the problem, who decides what to censor and what to let through?
that's indeed the point.

Top Bottom