USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159

WTF! "Judge" Aileen Cannon has dismissed the Trump classified documents case!
Will she now be dismissed herself, and replaced by a relatively neutral judge?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles...t_campaign=Social_Flow&at_campaign_type=owned

The case was falling apart at the seams . Then the supreme court decided that Presidents are immune from prosecution when involved in presidential matters. This judge was then presented with the decision to review after supreme announced.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

Bazzer

The case was falling apart at the seams . Then the supreme court decided that Presidents are immune from prosecution when involved in presidential matters. This judge was then presented with the decision to review after supreme announced.
How was the case falling apart?
It's got nothing to do with presidential immunity.The corrupt judge decided the special counsel was not legally appointed.

spen666

It's really telling and sad that so many cannot condemn the attack on a politician in a democratic election campaign without adding riders to it, blaming the victim for their views etc.

Any attack on any politician in a democratic process is wrong, irrespective of whether you like that person's views or not.

Democracy requires us to accept others have the right to hold views we may not agree with

multitool

I'll say it again:

Trump has encouraged the environment where political violence flourishes. He denied the democratic election. He tried to foment a coup in which people died. He has vowed to free and pardon the people who intended to kill Pence and Pelosi. He praised violent fascists at Charlesville. He jeered and mocked when Nancy Pelosi's husband was nearly killed in an act of political violence. He uses the language of violence, typical of fascists.

It's hugely ironic that he has fallen victim to something he created.

It's very telling that some people can't see this and are stuck with simplistic political notions, voiced with grandiose pomposity.

It is entirely consistent to think that assassinations are (generally) a bad thing whilst wishing bad things upon an incipient fascists authoritarian leader.

Last edited:

spen666

I'll say it again:

Trump has encouraged the environment where political violence flourishes. He denied the democratic election. He tried to foment a coup in which people died. He has vowed to free and pardon the people who intended to kill Pence and Pelosi. He praised violent fascists at Charlesville. He jeered and mocked when Nancy Pelosi's husband was nearly killed in an act of political violence. He uses the language of violence, typical of fascists.

It's hugely ironic that he has fallen victim to something he created.

It's very telling that some people can't see this and are stuck with simplistic political notions, voiced with grandiose pomposity.

It is entirely consistent to think that assassinations are (generally) a bad thing whilst wishing bad things upon an incipient fascists authoritarian leader.

So you can't simply condemn an act of violence against a participant in a democratic process?

That is a very sad reflection of the way you see democracy

multitool

So you can't simply condemn an act of violence against a participant in a democratic process?

That is a very sad reflection of the way you see democracy

I very much doubt you know how I "see democracy".

You seem to want to ground this discussion in simplistic platitudes somewhat redolent of discussions about 'free speech'.

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
How was the case falling apart?
It's got nothing to do with presidential immunity.The corrupt judge decided the special counsel was not legally appointed.

From the BBC news:

"Legal experts say Judge Cannon's ruling is likely to be overturned but that the further delay to the case could prove beneficial to Trump's campaign.

"Her ruling has no chance of being sustained on appeal as it conflicts with decisions of the Supreme Court and other lower courts, but it will have the effect of preventing any more embarrassing revelations before the election," said David Super, a professor at Georgetown University Law Center
."

Bazzer

From the BBC news:

"Legal experts say Judge Cannon's ruling is likely to be overturned but that the further delay to the case could prove beneficial to Trump's campaign.

"Her ruling has no chance of being sustained on appeal as it conflicts with decisions of the Supreme Court and other lower courts, but it will have the effect of preventing any more embarrassing revelations before the election," said David Super, a professor at Georgetown University Law Center
."
Unfortunately, the Supreme Court justices appointed by Trump appear to have no problem in reversing what was believed to be established law; for example Roe v Wade.
And if Trump gets elected, the likes of Thomas, Alito and possibly Roberts, will likely be persuaded "to seek" retirement from the Supreme Court, but will then take well paid directorships at some business run by one of the billionaire backers of Trump. - Thomas in particular appears to enjoy a lifestyle that his salary of $280,000 cannot provide.
That will leave Trump with two, possibly three posts to fill with much younger even more right wing justices. Barring some very unexpected turn of event/s, that would leave the newly appointed justices, together with Kavanaugh (born 1965), Coney Barrett (born 1972) and Gorsuch (born (1967) to oversea law making in the USA for many years to come.

Edit. Yes, I was aware of what legal experts say and addressed above. My concern was addressing two statements which prima facie were peddling bullshit.

Last edited:
  • Sad

multitool

GSjRYVlWMAAwdS0.jpeg

spen666

I very much doubt you know how I "see democracy".

You seem to want to ground this discussion in simplistic platitudes somewhat redolent of discussions about 'free speech'.

Your reluctance to condemn the use of violence against a political candidate in a democracy tells me all I need to know

Ian H

Legendary Member
Your reluctance to condemn the use of violence against a political candidate in a democracy tells me all I need to know

Giving reasons as to why it might happen, or adding context, is not condoning. You surely aren't that obtuse.
Two people are dead and others injured. If Trump's inflammatory rhetoric has contributed to that then he deserves condemnation.

Top Bottom