USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Whose job is it to interpret the constitution?

Who decides who holds that job?

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

Elder Goth
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Bazzer

Who decides who holds that job?
There are a limited number of Supreme Court justices.
The President puts forward nominations, a Senate hearing takes place and the Senate then votes. A simple majority is all that is required.
Trump fell lucky in that three posts became vacant during his Presidency and a majority of like minded Senators pushed his nominations through. This allowed Trump to nominate not just a right wing justice on each occasion, but originalists such as Amy Coney Barret and Neil Gorsuch, who believe the constitution should be interpreted as it was understood to be at the time of its adoption.
There were already right wing justices on the SC such as the corrupt originalist Clarence Thomas. Trump's nominations ensured an overwhelming majority on the Supreme Court and sealed the fate of, for example, women's rights over their own bodies.
Trump has bragged numerous times of how he, through loading the SC with right wing justices, was responsible for the Dobbs decision which overturned Roe v Wade.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
There's no constitutional limit on the number of supreme court justices.

Bazzer

There's no constitutional limit on the number of supreme court justices.
I don't think neither @the snail nor I said there was. The number of judges is not fixed. That is a matter for Congress.
The present composition of the Supreme Court, or more particularly many of their decisions, has been the subject of the ire of a number of members of Congress, in particular Senator Sheldon Whitehouse.
Given the current majority judges' interpretation of laws involving women's rights, guns and gerrymandering, I shouldn't be surprised that if by some long shot, the Democrats were to take the triple of Presidency and both Houses, steps were taken to correct the current imbalance.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Having seen a few of Harris' speeches/debates over the years I'm quite looking forward to her up against Trump, especially if he isn't allowed to keep interrupting like a petulant child.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3rd1yzgl0qo

ebikeerwidnes

Having seen a few of Harris' speeches/debates over the years I'm quite looking forward to her up against Trump, especially if he isn't allowed to keep interrupting like a petulant child.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3rd1yzgl0qo

If she is lucky she will drive him so mad that he looses it totally and calls her some bad names

b**** would be good

the old N word would sink him - and is entirely possible if he looses it totally

I suspect his minders would have a way of pulling him out if he gets too angry
but wither way it would look bad

AndyRM

Elder Goth
If she is lucky she will drive him so mad that he looses it totally and calls her some bad names

b**** would be good

the old N word would sink him - and is entirely possible if he looses it totally

At least one of his speeches has been cut (live) because of his rambling incoherence. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again should he go totally off track again.

In the debates I've seen Harris has generally let her opponents dig their own hole and has kept her cards close to her chest because she's fully aware (or at least her team have briefed her well) of how the media twists things.

b**** would be good

The strange thing about Trump supporters is that no matter how racist he is they keep supporting him.
I think the republican's senators publicly not backing him hurts him more also electoral then him being racist once again.

Beebo

Veteran
Trump has accused Harris of being nasty to Mike Pence.
When he’s the person who threatened the life of Mike Pence during the Capitol riots.

icowden

Legendary Member
Trump has accused Harris of being nasty to Mike Pence.
When he’s the person who threatened the life of Mike Pence during the Capitol riots.

It just beggars belief. He "suggested" that Pence should be hung for treason.

Top Bottom