USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
GH5sPaGWcAEhGJX.jpeg

Bazzer

Trump claims he is unable to get a bond to cover the $464m judgement against him from the New York civil fraud trial.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...d-464-million-judgment-lawyers-say-rcna143860
Given he has a history of lying, including among many other matters, about his wealth and assets, Trump's claims will presumably be listened to by the court with a Lot's wife size block of salt.
Edit. He also pulled the same stunt when having to post his bond in the E Jean Carroll defamation appeal. But when his claim for a reduced bond was rejected, a couple of days later he posted the full amount of the bond. It also transpired from the bond filing, that at the time the application was made to lodge a reduced amount of bond, Trump did actually have a bond in place for the full amount required.

Last edited:

Beebo

Veteran
Trump claims he is unable to get a bond to cover the $464m judgement against him from the New York civil fraud trial.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...d-464-million-judgment-lawyers-say-rcna143860
Given he has a history of lying, including among many other matters, about his wealth and assets, Trump's claims will presumably be listened to by the court with a Lot's wife size block of salt.
Edit. He also pulled the same stunt when having to post his bond in the E Jean Carroll defamation appeal. But when his claim for a reduced bond was rejected, a couple of days later he posted the full amount of the bond. It also transpired from the bond filing, that at the time the application was made to lodge a reduced amount of bond, Trump did actually have a bond in place for the full amount required.
BBC reports that he’s incurring interest of $112,000 per day. Which is $40.8mill pa. That’s a lot of interest!

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
When I read stuff like this the figures are so huge that it's really hard to even get your head around. Wonder if any US presidents have ever ended up bankrupt.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Grant did, so did Jefferson. Lincoln was pretty much skint until he became a lawyer but I don't think he was ever bankrupt. There might have been others but American History from high school is a bit hazy...

Bazzer

BBC reports that he’s incurring interest of $112,000 per day. Which is $40.8mill pa. That’s a lot of interest!
And unlike the first E Jean Carroll civil rape hearing, when Trump put up the $5m bond in cash, using a bond company carries a further kick.
In the second E Jean Carroll hearing Trump posted a bond totalling $91.6m. Chubb/Federal Insurance who provided the bond, are likely to have taken a non refundable sum as their fee, as well as securing their risk against assets. Typically I think this is fee around 10% of the bond. Trump may have negotiated a lower rate, but given Chubb/Federal has external investors, brokers and customers, whoever negotiated with Trump would have to be mindful of them and the possible backlash if a sweetheart deal became public knowledge.
I believe an alternative is for bank to issue a letter of credit to a bond company. Essentially the bank would act as guarantor to the bond company. This route would mean the bond company charges a much smaller fee. However, the bank would charge a fee for the issue of the letter. The fee being a %age of the amount being covered by the letter of credit.
A bit like buying a house, but with many more zeros. You just seem to have an open wallet for everyone connected with the transaction to help themselves.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it would appear that Barry O's visit to Sunak on Monday wasn't popular in some quarters...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/comm...visit-rishi-sunak-trump-special-relationship/

To be honest, I've never really bought into the whole "Special Relationship" thing as it seems to have been more hassle than it's worth and only wheeled out when it suits either country.

It's also like some kind of seedy code for dude-bros who are into each other but you know, "no homo" (but that's just me being childish really).

icowden

Legendary Member
I wasn't really sure where to put this, but it would appear that Barry O's visit to Sunak on Monday wasn't popular in some quarters...

From wikipedia:-
Nile Gardiner is a British conservative commentator. He is the director of the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom at The Heritage Foundation, and was for a time an aide to former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. He is also a commentator on U.S. and British television; he is a frequent contributor to the Fox News network and to the London Daily Telegraph.
I think this tells you all you need to know to completely ignore anything this moron has to say.

bobzmyunkle

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/comm...visit-rishi-sunak-trump-special-relationship/

To be honest, I've never really bought into the whole "Special Relationship" thing as it seems to have been more hassle than it's worth and only wheeled out when it suits either country.

It's also like some kind of seedy code for dude-bros who are into each other but you know, "no homo" (but that's just me being childish really).

A reminder, if one was needed, of how unhinged the telegraph is
'a bad strategic decision to host a left-wing anti-British former president who actively tried to undermine Brexit and the democratic will of the British people'

AndyRM

Elder Goth
From wikipedia:-

I think this tells you all you need to know to completely ignore anything this moron has to say.

I did have to look him up as his name was a new one to me. I'm surprised GBeebies haven't snapped him up for whatever constitutes their prime time slot for the 60 seconds or so people actually watch it.

albion

Guru
I wonder how much dosh Trumps flip flop on Tiktok gives him from Republican mega-donor Jeff Yass. Yass is a supposed $33 billion Tiktok shareholder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru

I don't buy that Biden is particularly anti-Britain, nor that Trump would give a flyingfark about us either. We were a much more useful ally when we were at the top table and had influence in the EU, we screwed that up so we're somewhat less 'special' than we were. Globally our influence is much diminished.
Still seem to find plenty of enthusiasm for doing conflict together though....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't buy that Biden is particularly anti-Britain, nor that Trump would give a flyingfark about us either. We were a much more useful ally when we were at the top table and had influence in the EU, we screwed that up so we're somewhat less 'special' than we were. Globally our influence is much diminished.
Still seem to find plenty of enthusiasm for doing conflict together though....

I suppose, that makes sense, the only time the Americans have won, I think, is when they we with us (WW1, WW2) :laugh:

Top Bottom