War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
As I said, IMHO, the risk of a Nuclear attack as a "first strike" option by a functioning Nation State, is vanishingly small (thank goodness), but, the risk from the extreme and/or the unhinged is more worrying.

By definition the extreme/unhinged are irrational and will risk all on ideological gestures, determinedly oblivious to consequences.

See also: Brexit

It has thousands of war heads & China.
China is no guarantee, we have Nato. Using Warheads is the end for Russia (and everybody else). Russia will only make wars with those it can bully into submission and where it has sufficient resources and the UK ain't one of those.
So rest easy. Russia's main issue is it's own people.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

China is no guarantee, we have Nato. Using Warheads is the end for Russia (and everybody else). Russia will only make wars with those it can bully into submission and where it has sufficient resources and the UK ain't one of those.
So rest easy. Russia's main issue is it's own people.
Yeah they are just like the USA & U.K. in that respect.

Moodyman

Britain has contributed to the frosty relations with the Russians. It's not all been one way.

Britain (along with the US) not only encouraged Saakashvili in Georgia but had military advisers there.

They supported the 2014 coup in Ukraine against an elected leader.

Britain also had a hand in the Libya and later, Syrian war prior to the Russians joining.

A closer examination of our own actions is a good starting place.

Archie_tect

Destabilising a foreign nation is only useful to an aggressor when the opportunity to acquire their assets can be done without losing any popularity back home... Blair is a prime example. 'Freeing' Russians from Ukraine domination in the Crimea makes Putin look good at home and gets him access to warm ports... but doesn't rock the boat in Europe quite enough to stop him.

D

Deleted member 49

Destabilising a foreign nation is only useful to an aggressor when the opportunity to acquire their assets can be done without losing any popularity back home... Blair is a prime example. 'Freeing' Russians from Ukraine domination in the Crimea makes Putin look good at home and gets him access to warm ports... but doesn't rock the boat in Europe quite enough to stop him.
I think Putin/Russia has done plenty of meddling in our country with the aim of destabilizing Europe...Brexit ?
Here's a nice message to COP 26....sorry I can't make it love Vlad.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...-europe-pipeline-stops-data-shows-2021-10-30/

Archie_tect

I think Putin/Russia has done plenty of meddling in our country with the aim of destabilizing Europe...Brexit ?
Here's a nice message to COP 26....sorry I can't make it love Vlad.
https://www.reuters.com/business/en...-europe-pipeline-stops-data-shows-2021-10-30/
Meanwhile, Riussia has been quietly acquiring Europe's assets for years... well, when I say Russia, I mean the oligarchs, not the state/ people.

Beebo

Veteran
Is it all about to kick off in Ukraine?
BBC we’re suggesting that Putin was trying to bluff NATO, but now he has no way of saving face.
Urgent deescalation is needed but it will take a lot of goodwill on both sides.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Since this thread was started the Russia/Ukraine situation has been virtually non-stop on national news with all sorts of doom laden forecasts of what could happen, but no comments on here so far this year.

I don't really have any more idea than anyone else about what will happen but I hope it is just another instance of Putin trying to cause mischief, uncertainty and instability in the West and show toughness to his own people by making the rest of the continent and the US nervous. Unfortunately leaders with internal troubles often try to deflect those troubles by looking tough to other countries.

I can see both sides of the argument in that Russia is concerned about the possibility of having even more NATO forces on their border, but also the worries of Ukraine who have already seen Russia invade their country, both overtly and covertly.

Makes Downing Street scandals seem like a kindergarten party...literally.

no comments on here so far this year.
I don’t know enough to have a strong opinion about what will happen. If pressed I would say that I think Russia causing instability among her neighbours is the goal rather than territorial gains. Even that is a dangerous game to play.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Since this thread was started the Russia/Ukraine situation has been virtually non-stop on national news with all sorts of doom laden forecasts of what could happen, but no comments on here so far this year.

I don't really have any more idea than anyone else about what will happen but I hope it is just another instance of Putin trying to cause mischief, uncertainty and instability in the West and show toughness to his own people by making the rest of the continent and the US nervous. Unfortunately leaders with internal troubles often try to deflect those troubles by looking tough to other countries.

I can see both sides of the argument in that Russia is concerned about the possibility of having even more NATO forces on their border, but also the worries of Ukraine who have already seen Russia invade their country, both overtly and covertly.

Makes Downing Street scandals seem like a kindergarten party...literally.

Me either. My uneducated view is:

Putin is playing a little game of rattling NATO's cage, and, causing a bit of economic instability (in Europe) as a bonus, plus making him look "the big man" at home.

Putin is demonstrating to himself, if no-one else, how totally dis-united the West is, with individual leaders talking big, delivering nothing and posturing for their home audience.

It will come to nothing, this time around, unless there is a miss-step by one side or the other, in which case, hang on to your hat, and, buy a woodburner, if you don't already got one.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Über Member
I don’t know enough to have a strong opinion about what will happen. If pressed I would say that I think Russia causing instability among her neighbours is the goal rather than territorial gains. Even that is a dangerous game to play.
Agreed. It's kinda tricky to know who or what to believe, which makes having an understanding or even an opinion a little tricky.

Do I think Putin is a wrong-un that'll take any opportunity to try to destabalise the West and keep his own stock high at home? Yep
Do I think the US (sorry NATO) will stick a load of bases in Ukraine given the chance? Yep.
Would I want US (sorry NATO) bases surrounding my country is I was Russia? Nope
Would I say that the US were planning on putting bases in Ukraine if I was Putin, even if they weren't? Yep.
Do I think Russia should invade Ukraine? Nope.

Top Bottom