War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I trust America about as much as I trust Russia.In this case I hope there wrong.

yeah that's the issue here, i wouldn't trust the EU/UK and certainly Ukraine itself either, still don't understand what the EU, UK etc. are looking for in Ukraine an disfunctional corrupt former part of Russia

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

The media keep lying saying Russians will invade soon. No they won’t. They’d have done it by now.

The media keep lying saying Russians will invade soon. No they won’t. They’d have done it by now.
I hope this bold statement doesn’t age too quickly.

Trust nobody on this. Even if they know, why are they saying what they say?

Last edited:

Moodyman

The war hysteria is predominantly coming from the UK/USA. The French, Germans and the Ukrainians, who are most likely to be impacted, are far less concerned.

The war drums are beating louder and louder in Washington, it's as if they need to magnify the Russian threat for a) greater justification for encroachment into the Russian backyard (NATO expansion) and, b) keep EU countries within the US economic and security orbit.

It's the same with China. Magnify the Chinese threat to keep the South Koreans, Japanese, Taiwanese, Aussies under US stewardship.

The UK? Well, ever since WW2 the UK has been subservient to US interests.

Everybody is saying Russia is going to invade Ukraine, except Russia and Ukraine...
Maybe because they all have their own interest by using Ukraine as a distraction, the US because Bidens approval rates are well not very great. The Uk want to prove itself after Brexit and the EU is trying everything to upheld the imagine Ukraine is a reliable and viable partner instead of a corrupt dysfunctional state. Because otherwise that association agreement mind sound a bit is ''stupid'' the right word?

I can’t find much to disagree with here. Tom Tugendhat on the Russia situation.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1492830556358328321.html

Can't find much to disagree with? I don't know.

Surely the indignation is a bit rich, from a man who objected to Britain's support of UN resolution 2334 condemning Israeli settlements in occupied Palestine. He said "the conflict doesn't matter".

To attribute Putin/Russia's evilness to Russian objection to NATO enlargement around the Russian border generally, and Ukraine joining NATO in particular, is frankly infantile. Didn't WW3 nearly happen due to the Cuban missile crisis, when the shoe was on the other foot?

In case anybody says NATO is only a mutual defensive arrangement, do look up what NATO did in purely internal conflicts that were Libya and Kosovo - the latter a particularly painful lesson for Russia - NATO's actions were never sanctioned by the UN due to objection by Russia.

For those interested, this might help to explain why Russia feels cheated, and why all this could have been avoided, if not for the hubris of the winners of the Cold War.

Tugendhat's crude indignation shows him to be just a lightweight ex journalist / PR consultant / TA officer who sees the world in black and white, and would say anything to burnish his political prospects. But then what do we expect?

Surely the indignation is a bit rich, from a man who objected to Britain's support of UN resolution 2334 condemning Israeli settlements in occupied Palestine. He said "the conflict doesn't matter".
I found his comments about Russia-Ukraine plausible.
I disagree with him on the importance of the misery in Palestine.
I have no difficulty holding both opinions at the same time, but I’m always happy to learn more about either subject.

D

Deleted member 49

I found his comments about Russia-Ukraine plausible.
I disagree with him on the importance of the misery in Palestine.
I have no difficulty holding both opinions at the same time, but I’m always happy to learn more about either subject.
For a moment you could forget Tom is a Tory MP....the party that's quite partial to a few Rubles in donations when it suits.Against Russian "agression" but willing to turn a blind eye to Israel murdering Palastinians.... Hypocrite !

Rusty Nails

Country Member

To attribute Putin/Russia's evilness to Russian objection to NATO enlargement around the Russian border generally, and Ukraine joining NATO in particular, is frankly infantile. Didn't WW3 nearly happen due to the Cuban missile crisis, when the shoe was on the other foot?

In case anybody says NATO is only a mutual defensive arrangement, do look up what NATO did in purely internal conflicts that were Libya and Kosovo - the latter a particularly painful lesson for Russia - NATO's actions were never sanctioned by the UN due to objection by Russia.

For those interested, this might help to explain why Russia feels cheated, and why all this could have been avoided, if not for the hubris of the winners of the Cold War.

Tugendhat's crude indignation shows him to be just a lightweight ex journalist / PR consultant / TA officer who sees the world in black and white, and would say anything to burnish his political prospects. But then what do we expect?
Are the countries bordering Russia wrong to be concerned about the possible actions of Russia which does after all have a history of invasions of other countries, even in the 21st century? None of those countries, some of which in recent times have been under the control of Russia/USSR, or have been invaded stand a chance of defending themselves on their own and see NATO membership as a deterrent.

Russia feeling cheated is as much to do with what people like Putin feel about the loss of their former empire, and the need to show strength to their people.

There is no threat to Russia's territory but it is a battle for influence between the West and Russia, in which Russia seems to see invasion/war or the barely disguised threat of it, as a justifiable tactic.

Do you believe an invasion of Ukraine would be acceptable if it would stop the further spread of NATO?

Personally I doubt that NATO would want Ukraine to join given the extra tension in the area that it would bring and I hope that these recent exercises are just part of the power game that Putin is playing.

You mentioned the Cuban crisis and, of course, that did not end in war. I hope this does not.

For a moment you could forget Tom is a Tory MP....the party that's quite partial to a few Rubles in donations when it suits.Against Russian "agression" but willing to turn a blind eye to Israel murdering Palastinians.... Hypocrite !
Sorry Adam, I can’t tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me here.

Top Bottom