War with Russia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Why are Russia quite aggressive towards the U.K?
We could have great trade deals & more of an alliance if we tried. Sure they’re corrupt but the U.K. are friends with other corrupt countries.

stowie

I imagine poisoning people using nerve agent on UK soil would put a crimp in friendly relations. Especially as this wasn't the first time.

Plus, of course, all the hacking and social media manipulation.

Oh, and the annexing of Crimea.

Russia has a rogue government under international sanctions. The UK doing a bigly trade deal would probably raise eyebrows and prompt some rather searching questions.

Banderill

I get the impression Putin has been trying for years to reshape Russia into a superpower again, regardless of what any other country in the world thinks. One to be careful of when looking at trade deals perhaps? Especially considering the brazen attacks of his agents on foreign soil; posturing and chest puffing and showing the world Russia doesn't give a monkies - dangerous stuff.

FishFright

Russia and the UK have a long history of animosity but nowadays they really don't give a monkey's about us geopolitically .

Remember the fuss about Corbyn, life long CND supporter, saying he wouldn't push the nuke button while all the butch Tories saying they would ? Russia's response was a curt we could wipe you off the map .

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Nuclear weapons, everybody has got them, nobody has the balls to use them.

Hopefully, that is true, and, remains so. ;)

Nuclear weapons, everybody has got them, nobody has the balls to use them.

Not sure I'd use the word balls - or the sentiment it reflects.

In the NATO theatre it's likely that the certainty of reprisal ensures that they're not used. The cultural legacy of Nagasaki/Hiroshima also still rest heavy on Western conscience. Though I'm not sure that would have stopped Trump.

OTOH I suspect that India or Pakistan, or any other country with the resources to access the 70 year old technology may just regard them as a 'bigger bang'.

Lilliburlero

Russia and the UK have a long history of animosity but nowadays they really don't give a monkey's about us geopolitically .

Remember the fuss about Corbyn, life long CND supporter, saying he wouldn't push the nuke button while all the butch Tories saying they would ? Russia's response was a curt we could wipe you off the map .

So if we were attacked by nuclear weapons from an aggressor we don`t retaliate?

It`s a deterrent and it`ll only be used to pay back in kind.

Top Bottom