Will Smith. What a knobber. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

It checks out. I've done some research and it turns out the guy who slapped Chris Rock is a professional actor.

(Did we already do this one, or did I nick it off twitter? Too much plagiarism, I can't keep up.)

mudsticks

Squire
We all have resources of words and body language. I don't understand why his resources "should" be better than yours or mine.

That suggests the "image" is a front. You're in favour of some sort of faked public persona?

Uh because he's a person in the public eye, his words and acting skills are resources upon which he trades.

Of course we modulate our behaviour somewhat depending on our audience, and the company present

I behave differently with family and friends, to how I do in a professional situation with customers and clients.

To when I'm teaching, to when I'm at a conference or on a discussion panel , or taking part in an action where I'm representing an organisation, whose reputation I need to consider .

Even when I'm on CC ..

None if it's 'fake' it's all just appropriate to situation .

Violence isn't appropriate in in any of those situations.

I'm sure Mr Smith is well abreast of all that .
Hence his apology .

matticus

Guru
I'm sure Mr Smith is well abreast of all that .
Hence his apology .
As you would expect.

Once the adrenaline had died away, and he could talk calmly (and privately) to his wife, agent and lawyers.

I liked his choice of words:
"Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."
Seems a perfect summary of the situation to me.

mudsticks

Squire
As you would expect.

Once the adrenaline had died away, and he could talk calmly (and privately) to his wife, agent and lawyers.

I liked his choice of words:
"Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally."
Seems a perfect summary of the situation to me.

Ah the old 'reacted emotionally' defence for violent behaviour..
Using supposed defence of 'honour' or hurt male pride or supposed 'chivalry' orwhatever is pretty old.

We all have emotional reactions to things.

Being a grown up is supposed to mean we can control our actions, unless were directly threatened and need to use it for self defence , violence shouldn't be in the mix of responses ..

Of course violence, machismo, toxic masculinity are all routine in our culture, and even 'entertainment' so no big surprise in if they spill over into 'real' life..

And that others defend it..

Last edited:
I told this joke to my wife over breakfast so she had to explain it to our 6yo and it got so convoluted that it turned into a conversation about Ukraine and distraction and masculinity and I don't think she even got close to explaining the punchline.

Just imagine trying to explain it to someone who has no idea what the Oscars are, who Will Smith is or what the Fresh Prince was and who may have a vague notion at best of the concept of dusting for prints and a rudimentary understanding of gender politics. In three minutes while rushing to eat breakfast and get ready for school.

View: https://twitter.com/annalisa_m84/status/1508699709635977220?s=21&t=nGL9hTqWSZ2EWSVdkeJ8gw

matticus

Guru
We all have emotional reactions to things.

Being a grown up is supposed to mean we can control our actions, unless were directly threatened and need to use it for self defence , violence shouldn't be in the mix of responses ..
Quite important, those little words in bold.

(Incidentally, Jada Smith's face displayed some pretty strong emotions when she heard the joke made at her expense, and looked at her husband.)

mudsticks

Squire
Quite important, those little words in bold.

(Incidentally, Jada Smith's face displayed some pretty strong emotions when she heard the joke made at her expense, and looked at her husband.)

Of course they are important, and no one said living up to them was easy.

And that's why we have more respect for people who can control themselves.
Even when provoked.

But it still doesn't excuse a violent reaction.

I'm sure Jada feelings were hurt.
There was no need for that bullying comment from Mr Rock..
Inexcusably poor taste.

So maybe Mr Smith could to have better spent his energies supporting his wife.

Anyway, in the whole scheme of things it's small fry.

The 5yr olds approach, 'be nice and have a cup of tea' is probs the most mature approach by far..

The slap was shocking enough, but I was further dissapointed by his apology. He was paying lip service to Chris Rock but basically said "I'm apologising but I had to do the manly thing and get violent...it wouldn't have happened if he'd left my wife out of it...so technically he forced me to do it". It's about the same level of excuse that any abuser would try to justify their abuse of others.

I thought Smith was cool but he's gone right down the list of people I want to watch in a film now.

And various comments about "it was a girly slap" etc... He definately wanted to hurt him, he only lashed out at close quarters so that he'd have the element of surprise, but you can see by the speed of the swing he meant it. And in front of not only a large audience, but millions of viewers on the TV? What did he expect; applause??

mudsticks

Squire
I told this joke to my wife over breakfast so she had to explain it to our 6yo and it got so convoluted that it turned into a conversation about Ukraine and distraction and masculinity and I don't think she even got close to explaining the punchline.

Just imagine trying to explain it to someone who has no idea what the Oscars are, who Will Smith is or what the Fresh Prince was and who may have a vague notion at best of the concept of dusting for prints and a rudimentary understanding of gender politics. In three minutes while rushing to eat breakfast and get ready for school.

Just you wait --

Bring em up too conscious - and you'll get

"Muum (or in your case Daaad) - Your privilege is showing"

- When (slightly) mithering about having to perform a third rewrite of a sensitive document ... :angel:

--- Makes you proud ^_^

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Just you wait --

Bring em up too conscious - and you'll get

"Muum (or in your case Daaad) - Your privilege is showing"

- When (slightly) mithering about having to perform a third rewrite of a sensitive document ... :angel:

--- Makes you proud ^_^
Over dinner she said that she thought buses and trains should be free so there's less pollution and homeless people could get about. So I tried to explain to her how tax works and how some people think we should pay more or less to pay for buses and stuff, and it ended up with her rearranging her brother's food and using broccoli as currency.

Top Bottom