Will Smith. What a knobber. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
Does he have some well off relatives who might be able to take him in for a while and provide him with some guidance?
Uncle Phil’s dead!

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
I wouldn't take back the Oscar, personally. It was given for work done before he had his moment of madness. It was for a specific piece of work not an overall honour like a Kighthood. They could expel him from the Academy; no more visits to the Oscars ceremony, nominated or not. I doubt he will ever be nominated again, so giving him another award is probably not an issue.

As mentioned, others have done far worse, and in the case of Polanski the film industry has continued to turn a blind eye. I think the public will probably forgive him as he doesn't have any previous form, and he's a big enough star to still get films made despite putting a dent in his reputation. I envisage the usual period of reflection, probably some therapy, then business as usual by Christmas.

matticus

Guru
Does he have some well off relatives who might be able to take him in for a while and provide him with some guidance?
Seems like the BBC correspondent is attuned to you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60909449
"Almost four decades ago it was "one little fight" that landed the Fresh Prince in trouble and saw the fictional Will moving to live with his auntie and uncle in Bel Air.
That scripted altercation on a basketball court launched the teenager's career as a comedian and actor - but now it's a real-life bust-up that could derail the life of an undisputed Hollywood superstar.
..."

Gets a little less light-hearted later:

"Smith has been candid about growing up in a home plagued by domestic violence. The first chapter of his autobiography, Will, opens with a harrowing description of his father attacking his mother and the actor writes that the incident defined his childhood, and ultimately led to his career.
"Within everything that I have done since then... there's been a subtle string of apologies to my mother for my inaction that day," Smith writes. "No matter how successful I've become … there is that subtle and silent feeling always pulsating in the back of my mind: that I am a coward." "

As is being pointed out, there have been more offensive things happen at previous Oscar ceremonies, and people guilty of worse things have been given and allowed to keep awards. Roman Polanski and Harvey Weinstein for example. All Smith has done is embarrass them a bit on stage.

Is he the best actor or not? If he is then let him keep the award, anything else would be hypocritical.
He's certainly not one of Holywood's big hitters....

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Seems like the BBC correspondent is attuned to you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60909449
"Almost four decades ago it was "one little fight" that landed the Fresh Prince in trouble and saw the fictional Will moving to live with his auntie and uncle in Bel Air.
That scripted altercation on a basketball court launched the teenager's career as a comedian and actor - but now it's a real-life bust-up that could derail the life of an undisputed Hollywood superstar.
..."

Gets a little less light-hearted later:

"Smith has been candid about growing up in a home plagued by domestic violence. The first chapter of his autobiography, Will, opens with a harrowing description of his father attacking his mother and the actor writes that the incident defined his childhood, and ultimately led to his career.
"Within everything that I have done since then... there's been a subtle string of apologies to my mother for my inaction that day," Smith writes. "No matter how successful I've become … there is that subtle and silent feeling always pulsating in the back of my mind: that I am a coward." "

It's a bit of a shame he hasn't spent any of his vast wealth on a decent bit of therapy for himself.

He could have been helped to realise that it was never him that was a coward.

The coward was his father.

As a young child witnessing the abuse, he was a victim too.

But it could go some way to explaining the whole 'rescuer' 'knight in shining armour' - 'violence is an answer' schtick that he seems to be carting about..

Last edited:

Milzy

Where do you get the idea that 'most people are ok with it'? Russia Today? Your pals on Facebook?

The organisers of the Oscar's have condemned it and launched an investigation.

The whole thing is unsavoury all round and will probably rumble on for quite some time.

Smith is producing and starring in quite a few films over the next few years, and Rock is in a few things too. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Where do you get the idea that 'most people are ok with it'? Russia Today? Your pals on Facebook?

The organisers of the Oscar's have condemned it and launched an investigation.

The whole thing is unsavoury all round and will probably rumble on for quite some time.

Smith is producing and starring in quite a few films over the next few years, and Rock is in a few things too. It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Wake up. It was all staged. It almost had me though.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Been suggested today that Smith was asked to leave the building after the incident and refused to do so. That alone would be grounds for expulsion from the Academy and exclusion from further awards, I would have thought.

I understand Chris Rock hasn't made a complaint to the police. In the UK it doesn't require a complaint from the victim to proceed with prosecution but perhaps things work differently in the US.

I'm finding the refrain being trotted out on social media (not on here) that 'love can make you crazy and violent' quite depressing. It's almost always a choice to lose control.

matticus

Guru
I'm finding the refrain being trotted out on social media (not on here) that 'love can make you crazy and violent' quite depressing. It's almost always a choice to lose control.
Just as Rock had a choice what to put in his speech.

I think he knows he played a big part in this, and wouldn't seek any further punishment for Smith. Events may prove me wrong ...

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Wake up. It was all staged. It almost had me though.

I'm at a point now where I'm pretty much sure everything you post is just trollish nonsense.

But I'll indulge you, because I am bored.

What possible reason do you think this was staged for?

It's not like Chris Rock, Will Smith or Jada Pinkett-Smith need the publicity.

And for all his cultivated "nice guy" image, it's not like Will Smith is looking to create some "tough guy" persona - he's literally in a film called 'Bad Boys' and played Muhammad Ali (other examples are available).

And it wasn't some weird publicity stunt to raise awareness about alopecia, which has barely been mentioned in the aftermath.

And the Oscars hardly need the publicity, if anything this has detracted from the event; and regardless of how you view them, they are essentially the World Cup of cinema and meaningful to a lot of people in different ways.

So what is it then? Why was it staged?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Yes, Rock chose to say something unpleasant for laughs, but nasty comments are hardly equivalent to physical violence. Rock probably realises there's no punishment the law could give (which would likely be a fine costing less than Will Smith's hourly rate) that will be worse than the damage Smith has inflicted to himself. It was more an observation that a victim shouldn't need to complain for action to be taken.

Top Bottom