Would you recognise Angela Rayner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Oooh, it is getting very tricky now.........

Several MPs and aides present, curry, pizzas, beer, wine, Met police outside, the story develops. He has given some very short uppity answers in response to questions about the event.

I wonder, if he gets a fine will he resign?

Why would he? The police investigated and said it was not illegal, and no offence was committed. Why would this change?

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
So Keir Starmer feeds 'dozens' of MPs, their aides, the met police, campaign staff, etc etc with a £200 curry.

What did he do for an encore? Heal some lepers? Walk on water?
Another one arguing with the detail that has already been admitted by the Labour Party, and happily ignoring the fact that Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner, David Lamy and the Labour party press office continually lied, and now this is painfully dripping out.

It's not the event, it's the cover up. It has pretty much done for Boris, now it is coming for Keir too!

Steer clear of going in to politics everyone.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
There is no doubt that this issue has been raised at this time, and jumped on by the Tory supporting newspapers, because of the proximity of the local elections and their fear that the results will be affected by Partygate and the Johnson lies.

But does anyone seriously not think that if the situations were reversed the Labour Party and the left leaning newspapers wouldn't be doing exactly the same thing?

There may or may not be anything in these allegations but this is all part of the dirty world of party politics, and if there is any chance at all of the mud that is being slung around sticking it is a legitimate, if unpleasant, tactic.

FWIW I have no more reason to believe that Starmer is completely innocent in this than I believed the serial liar Johnson over the Partygate lies, and cynically believe that it is possible that the Durham police have not investigated it to the same level as the Met did with Partygate.

There will continue to be a fuss until Durham police make a statement to say that they have looked into this and are satisfied that no rules were broken, otherwise Starmer just has to ride it out the best he can.

icowden

Legendary Member
There will continue to be a fuss until Durham police make a statement to say that they have looked into this and are satisfied that no rules were broken, otherwise Starmer just has to ride it out the best he can.

Do you mean like this one?

Asked if he had been questioned by officers again since Mr Holden's letter, Sir Keir told GMB: "I think [Durham Police] put out a statement last week saying they're not reinvestigating and they haven't spoken to me."
He then described the event, saying he and his team were "in the office preparing" for the by-election.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Do you mean like this one?

No.

Edit: This is what Durham Police said "Earlier this year, Durham Constabulary undertook a review of video footage recorded in Durham on April 30, 2021. We stated that we did not believe an offence has been established in relation to the legislation and guidance in place at the time the footage was taken and would therefore take no further action in relation to the matter.

“We have since received a number of further communications relating to this matter and will now consider the contents of those communications and respond in due course. For clarity, Durham Constabulary is not currently investigating this incident.”

It took the Met a long time to declare they would be fully investigating the Partygate claims, and the Durham Police statement gives plenty of wriggle room to Labour and the Tories. There is no detail in the statement about the form their investigation took and who was, or wasn't, interviewed.

This whole episode displays the dirty side of politics and does not surprise me.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
Latest news update on the event. It has just been on the radio too about the Met Police and other MPs and aides being there.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/18452395/labour-takeaway-curry-starmer-lockdown/
Ah, a good impartial news report from the Sun. That's what we need here!

Again - so what? No rules were broken, and the Police don't want to "re-investigate" as no substantial new information has come to light. Sir Keir has been very clear that they were working through the night and ordered in a curry so that people could eat. This was permitted under the rules whether it was a bunch of cleaners, or the Pope and his Pontiffs taking a break to eat.

The Conservatives a re *desperate* to draw attention away from Boris. Yes, it's surprising that no-one remembered whether Angela Rayner was present given her super-powers with her legs an' all, but it's not really relevant is it?

OP
OP
C

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Ah, a good impartial news report from the Sun. That's what we need here!
Ha, it does seem that the only impartial reporting that is accepted by the vast majority on here is from The Guardian :laugh:

Yes, it's surprising that no-one remembered whether Angela Rayner was present given her super-powers with her legs an' all, but it's not really relevant is it?
It is when you consider Keir Starmer, David Lamy and the press office all said she definitely wasn't there!

fozy tornip

fozympotent
They're all as bad as each other.
At least Johnson's compassionate conservatism stretches to buses on which the pauperised elderly can huddle together all day to share bodily warmth.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
They're all as bad as each other.
At least Johnson's compassionate conservatism stretches to buses on which the pauperised elderly can huddle together all day to share bodily warmth.

For free as well. I'm sure that could be taxed as a benefit in kind.

icowden

Legendary Member
It is when you consider Keir Starmer, David Lamy and the press office all said she definitely wasn't there!
Well yes, if that were the case. As far as I can gather, Starmer said that she was there, but when the Labour Press Office were asked, they said she wasn't. Lamy was interviewed and I think repeated the official line from the Press Office. Starmer has since clarified that she was there and said that the Press Office made a mistake.

The important question is this though; Why does it matter whether she was there or not?

D

Deleted member 49

If only this was the worse thing about Starmer....

Top Bottom