Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Normal people would have been prosecuted or sanctioned for less than this. Somehow Zahawi is allowed to quietly pay his arrears.

Odd that this investigation by Dan Neidle has been picked up by The Sun of all papers. I wonder what Zahawi has done to upset Murdoch. I won't link to that paper but here's a later take from The Independent.

Neidle's blog is well worth a read. Zahawi's lawyers have done their best to intimidate home and failed.

Screenshot_20230115-144636.png

https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/01/15/zahawi_pay_up/

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Normal people would have been prosecuted or sanctioned for less than this. Somehow Zahawi is allowed to quietly pay his arrears.

Odd that this investigation by Dan Neidle has been picked up by The Sun of all papers. I wonder what Zahawi has done to upset Murdoch. I won't link to that paper but here's a later take from The Independent.

Neidle's blog is well worth a read. Zahawi's lawyers have done their best to intimidate home and failed.

View attachment 2866
https://www.taxpolicy.org.uk/2023/01/15/zahawi_pay_up/

The story is on Mail Online too. I will not provide a link for obvious reasons. I came across it when searching for news about death of woman attacked by several dogs.in Caterham.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Careless, not deliberate.
I dare say it evens out, that as many tories carelessly overpay tax, carelessly undercharge for VIP lane PPE, carelessly over-declare interests, carelessly decline payment and voluntarily lobby for commercial concerns.
Swings and roundabouts, most likely.

Bazzer

On the assumption the events took place after the introduction of FA 2007, he may describe it as "careless", but HMRC may describe it differently.
Unfortunately, if the reference to 30% is correct, that does not identify how HMRC treated the offence. A careless offence would carry a maximum penalty of 30%, but to hit the maximum, that would mean Zahawi had not been (speaking generally) particularly cooperative with HMRC.
Or the penalty of 30% could have been charged for the more serious offences of deliberate, or deliberate and concealed, but he would qualify for a lower penalty if he contacted HMRC about the liabilities, rather than the other way round, and he (speaking generally) had been particularly cooperative with HMRC.

Top Bottom