American bombshell? Roe vs. Wade....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
It mentions wider family pressures later in the article.

But I don't think that was surveyed as such, so wouldn't figure in the numbers I don't suppose..

I have plenty views on the responsibilities that men should take if they've fathered a child, yes.

But it's not all about me..

Let's allow some other folks a say, shall we..??

And anyhows, I have to get ready for my evenings work now 👍🏼

Don’t be shy in letting us/me know your views, after you have finished your chores.

D

Deleted member 28

Don’t be shy in letting us/me know your views.

No fear of that.

mudsticks

Squire
Don’t be shy in letting us/me know your views, after you have finished your chores.

No no..
Someone else can go first.

And anyway, I'm going out for drinks after class.

'I may be some time'..

I can't really imagine my feminist views on equity in childcare responsibilities will come as any great surprise to anyone...

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
If we take as read, that women should have control of their own body, and, that the right to terminate a pregnancy should the woman’s personal free choice. At which point is it felt that the sperm donor (ie father), should have any responsibilities and/or rights?

Rights regarding the termination or otherwise of a pregnancy?

Absolutely none, zero, nothing, in any way, shape or form.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Coerced abortion is a huge problem in India, to the point where there is now a population imbalance between males and females.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ld-lead-to-68m-fewer-girls-being-born-by-2030

I don't know if it's different now but when my children were born the hospital had a policy of not telling you the sex at the 12 week scan because some people would prefer not to have a girl (or have another girl).

Re male input into a decision about termination. You would hope that most people were in relationships where they could come to the decision that was right for them together. But ultimately it has to be the woman's decision because pregnancy can be physically dangerous and having a child you don't want can be hugely psychologically damaging. That's not to say that these issues don't affect the male; most men are devasted by a partners miscarriage for example. However, the risks and hardships of pregnancy, both medical and emotional, are almost exclusively borne by the woman so the decision must lie with them.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Coerced abortion is a huge problem in India, to the point where there is now a population imbalance between males and females.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ld-lead-to-68m-fewer-girls-being-born-by-2030

I don't know if it's different now but when my children were born the hospital had a policy of not telling you the sex at the 12 week scan because some people would prefer not to have a girl (or have another girl).

I'll have to dig out the Jen Gunter article on sex selective abortion but the gist of it was that it's probably better for a woman to terminate a pregnancy than it is for her to carry multiple female pregnancies to term in hope of a male, in terms of her own health and for the children concerned. She concludes that sex selective abortion is a symptom of patriarchy, which needs dismantling at a more fundamental level.

Here we go:

https://drjengunter.com/2016/04/12/...cts-before-discussing-sex-selective-abortion/

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Rights regarding the termination or otherwise of a pregnancy?

Absolutely none, zero, nothing, in any way, shape or form.

Thank you for your contribution.

do you have a view reference rights/responsibilities of the male participant after birth, assuming pregnancy is not terminated?

Should all boys have to have some sort of hormonal therapy immediately after puberty to keep them infertile until their gametes are required? Or maybe some kind of surgical implant would be better. Either way you could require some sort of contractual responsibility agreement, perhaps with a financial bond, before the effects were reversed.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Until women in the developing world are valued as much as men, abortion will continue to be a tool of the patriarchy. Controlling women's reproduction has always been a means of oppression. It's only when women are freed from the treadmill of endless pregnancies and child rearing that they have the opportunity to do the stuff men do. And it's why women's reproduction needs to be controlled, because then you can stop them muscling in on 'men's stuff', like education and jobs outside the house, by keeping them tied to the home. That's the patriarchy.

Should all boys have to have some sort of hormonal therapy immediately after puberty to keep them infertile until their gametes are required? Or maybe some kind of surgical implant would be better.

As I recall, there were trials of a male contraceptive implant but it was abandoned as the participants didn't like the side effects.

Persuading young men to have as much responsibility for contraception as women have to have would go a long way to reducing the abortion rates. But as they have a lot less to lose it's always going to be an uphill job.

icowden

Legendary Member
It's often said that if men got pregnant there would be an abortion clinic on every street corner, and there's certainly some truth in that.

There is also a meme going round to this effect:

Given that there is a safe, reversible method of permanent contraception for males, lets being in legislation to give all young men vasectomies. The vasectomy can be reversed when they are ready to create a baby. What's that? You shouldn't bring in legislation to force surgical contraceptive intervention on a male, because they have the right to control their own body?

Well mind your own business about abortions then.

Rusty Nails

Country Member

do you have a view reference rights/responsibilities of the male participant after birth, assuming pregnancy is not terminated?

As someone who is very fond of asking questions of others what is your view on abortion or the rights of fathers/sperm donors?

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed

Unless the discussion has broadened its scope to general child-rearing ethics, responsibilities and obligations, then no.

Top Bottom