By-election

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
We'll be voting shortly for Neil Parish's successor. All the candidates have been declared. Who do I vote for?
  • Labour was a distant second at the last election (26,000 deficit).
  • Historically the Lib-Dems have been in second place.
  • There is historically a strong tradition of Liberal and independent politics in the South-West.
  • Labour nationally is rumoured to have an unofficial pact with the Lib-Dems with regard to Wakefield and this constituency.
  • The local Labour candidate is campaigning hard, as are the others.
  • This constituency (& its forerunners) has been rock-solid Tory for many years, despite some pretty dim MPs.

Am I wasting my time even thinking about tactical voting?

Tanis8472

Regular
Yes

Hth

Beebo

Veteran
It’s a no brainier.
Vote Liberal. I imagine even die hard Labour voters will be doing that.

D

Deleted member 49

We don't have any of those, just some "As long as its my version of Labour" voters. :whistle:
Some like their Labour with shades of Blue...whatever floats your boat I guess.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Some like their Labour with shades of Blue...whatever floats your boat I guess.

I'm colour blind when it comes to politics. Red, green, blue, yellow... it's all about the policies (or lack of them)

I've never believed in this "the people's flag is deepest red" (or palest pink) shite.

D

Deleted member 49

I'm colour blind when it comes to politics. Red, green, blue, yellow... it's all about the policies (or lack of them
So if it's all about the policies or lack of them....what attracts you to Labour ?
Take your time.....

Rusty Nails

Country Member
So if it's all about the policies or lack of them....what attracts you to Labour ?
Take your time.....

At the moment it's more down to what repels me about the Tories.

I would be happier if there was a more vociferous statement about their principles and policies than we are getting from Starmer. It was probably the right thing to do in his election campaign to emphasise he was not Corbyn, but having won that important battle we now need to know from him more about what he is rather than what he is not. He cannot now just rely on not being Boris.

OP
OP
Ian H

Ian H

Guru
I'm colour blind when it comes to politics. Red, green, blue, yellow... it's all about the policies (or lack of them)

I've never believed in this "the people's flag is deepest red" (or palest pink) shite.

Party politics, like trades unionism, is based on the strength-in-numbers principle. You'll never achieve anything if you don't make common cause with others of similar persuasion. Flags and stuff are just a convenient shorthand for a coherent set of policies.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Party politics, like trades unionism, is based on the strength-in-numbers principle. You'll never achieve anything if you don't make common cause with others of similar persuasion. Flags and stuff are just a convenient shorthand for a coherent set of policies.

Or camouflage for a lack of them.

Top Bottom