Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dutchguylivingintheuk

Ăśber Member
I know I'm going to regret asking this - sometimes I just can't help myself 🙄
but what does
"Go woke and you'll go broke" even mean.??
Gilette had a commercial in which they (according to some) implicitly implied all men where rapist and that was obviusly a big flop and so are there more examples of how going woke actually mean going broke, especially if it includes overly virtual signaling etc.
Act with political and social awareness, and you will become destitute ?

Have some empathy, and concern for the well being and situation of other humans, especially those not like yourself, and all your businesses will fail ??

Or what ??
Those values have nothing whatsoever to do with wokism. Do you actually known what wokeism is?

D

Deleted member 121

Those values have nothing whatsoever to do with wokism. Do you actually known what wokeism is?

Isn't it the culinary art of cooking with a wok?

If it is then i am an expert.

ayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FcJsAAOSwuytcUxJ1%2Fs-l400.jpg

mudsticks

Squire
Gilette had a commercial in which they (according to some) implicitly implied all men where rapist and that was obviusly a big flop and so are there more examples of how going woke actually mean going broke, especially if it includes overly virtual signaling etc.

Gillette ran a campaign which clearly overestimated the intelligence of rather a lot of men.

They implied, not that all men are rapists but that men should primarily be the ones to encourage other men away from toxic behaviours, towards more positive ways of being, and relating.

Which of course they should be.

The fact that there was an offended 'backlash' against this idea, just goes to show how far we have to go in changing attitudes.

I got a very pungent whiff of it on the 'other side' when discussing how a group of young men had displayed horrible behaviour towards a young woman on a bicycle.

Anyway I actually asked @Milzy what they meant by it.

There's still still time for them to enlighten us.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Milzy

Gillette ran a campaign which clearly overestimated the intelligence of rather a lot of men.

They implied, not that all men are rapists but that men should primarily be the ones to encourage other men away from toxic behaviours, towards more positive ways of being, and relating.

Which of course they should be.

The fact that there was an offended 'backlash' against this idea, just goes to show how far we have to go in changing attitudes.

I got a very pungent whiff of it on the 'other side' when discussing how a group of young men had displayed horrible behaviour towards a young woman on a bicycle.

Anyway I actually asked @Milzy what they meant by it.

There's still still time for them to enlighten us.

When people who are "woke" call out or cancel those they perceive not to be woke (or woke enough). "Canceling" someone occurs when one person says or does something to which others who are woke object and then that person gets roundly shamed and criticized, usually on social media. That person's reputation is sometimes ruined, and he or she might not ever be able to recover from being canceled. It’s totally wild and wrong. Much of the population have had enough of it.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Ăśber Member
When people who are "woke" call out or cancel those they perceive not to be woke (or woke enough). "Canceling" someone occurs when one person says or does something to which others who are woke object and then that person gets roundly shamed and criticized, usually on social media. That person's reputation is sometimes ruined, and he or she might not ever be able to recover from being canceled. It’s totally wild and wrong. Much of the population have had enough of it.

That’ not a definition of woke, only a (your?) view on what happens to people as a consequence of someone being woke.

What do you consider “woke” to mean?

mudsticks

Squire

So you don't think people should ever be criticised for what they say.?
That there should be no consequences?

For example if someone says all cyclists are @+&ÂŁ#@*s and should be prevented from cycling on the roads, then we as cyclists can't object, or can't decide not to have anything to do with that person from now on?

Or does 'freedom of expression ' only go one way, and only have consequences for one party??

And as @glasgowcyclist says you've not yet defined 'woke' itself nor wok(e)ism.

It gets used a lot as a perjorative but no one using it as such, seems to have a clear definition.

Those of us against whom its used seem to have more of an idea - Curiously 🤔

And we don't generally mind being 'accused' of being socially and politically aware, and of having some degree of empathy for others...

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Woke is the perfect insult.

It allows those people who it is used for and against to feel better about themselves.

An insult and a badge of honour at the same time. Win-win. A pejorative for our time.

Milzy

So you don't think people should ever be criticised for what they say.?
That there should be no consequences?

For example if someone says all cyclists are @+&ÂŁ#@*s and should be prevented from cycling on the roads, then we as cyclists can't object, or can't decide not to have anything to do with that person from now on?

Or does 'freedom of expression ' only go one way, and only have consequences for one party??

And as @glasgowcyclist says you've not yet defined 'woke' itself nor wok(e)ism.

It gets used a lot as a perjorative but no one using it as such, seems to have a clear definition.

Those of us against whom its used seem to have more of an idea - Curiously 🤔

And we don't generally mind being 'accused' of being socially and politically aware, and of having some degree of empathy for others...

I’m not saying it’s all bad, it has many good points but also can have a darker side. I guess it’s awareness of unfairness in the treatment of others not only makes the world a better place and us better people, it creates a culture in which the marginalised receive empathy instead of blame. When you say it like that you wonder why there’s so many push backs? Also many people have had fair opinions but have been cancelled. Freedom of speech all the way.

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
So you'd be cool with people taking to the streets to call for the death of Jews and homosexuals then? Free speech all the way etc.

Reactions: C R

Milzy

So you'd be cool with people taking to the streets to call for the death of Jews and homosexuals then? Free speech all the way etc.

I would sit those F’ers down and try to change their minds. And all these celebrities who got cancelled didn’t say anything like that.
Also you’d be surprised by how many people who call themselves 'feminists' condone physical violence against women, as long as they don't like them.
It's like how so many racists hide under the banner of 'anti-racism'.
Labels mean nothing. Actions are everything.

Top Bottom