Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
I’m not saying it’s all bad, it has many good points but also can have a darker side. I guess it’s awareness of unfairness in the treatment of others not only makes the world a better place and us better people, it creates a culture in which the marginalised receive empathy instead of blame. When you say it like that you wonder why there’s so many push backs? Also many people have had fair opinions but have been cancelled. Freedom of speech all the way.
Freedom of speech has its limitations - it always has done .

It doesn't mean freedom from consequences for what you say
(If you say horrible things about people it's unlikely they will invite you to their event for example)

If you incite hatred against, or harm done to others with your speech there can be legal, but also social consequences.

I think what has shifted a lot lately (or in part at least is that minorities, and people (such as women) whom hitherto had to put up with horrible things said against them by the dominant class, are standing up and not having it any more.

The 'pushback' comes from people who always used to be 'allowed' to say any old schizzle about anyone else, suddenly being told 'sorry that's not ok' then getting their arrisses in their hands about being told that they need to modify their language, and claiming a false 'victimhood' as a result.

So they claim they've been 'cancelled' when in fact they've just been reminded to have some respect for all other humans..

Milzy

Also you’d be surprised by how many people who call themselves 'feminists' condone physical violence against women, as long as they don't like them.
It's like how so many racists hide under the banner of 'anti-racism'.
Labels mean nothing. Actions are everything.
They wouldn't be interested. What then? What if they started to gain support, what then?

All I know is life is a never ending cycle. Dictators will rise and fall. USA use other less bad dictators to fight more dangerous dictators. Humans will never learn, history repeats itself.

Ian H

Guru
Also you’d be surprised by how many people who call themselves 'feminists' condone physical violence against women, as long as they don't like them.
Got any figures (numbers or percentages)?

mudsticks

Squire

All I know is life is a never ending cycle. Dictators will rise and fall. USA use other less bad dictators to fight more dangerous dictators. Humans will never learn, history repeats itself.
I would be, I know and have met a lot of feminists.

I've never heard any of them condone violence against women, whether or not they 'like' them.

Milzy

I’m not knocking it. In the workplace I hear a lot of bad stuff which doesn’t get reported. If it did half of the staff would be sacked.
I just have a theory that woke is peaking now then soon it will start to fade away. We need more love and respect for each other but we as humans have old tribal traits still built into us. We naturally band together into all different groups and it’s even more fuelled with social media. People become so embedded in their ideologies that they won’t even change their minds if facts are presented. So I think the future won’t get any better. It’s been on the slide for the last 3 years.

calling something woke is a bit meaningless these days.

It is designed to be. Like “levelling up” or “Brexit” or “migrant” it deliberately lacks precision and means whatever anyone wants it to mean.

multitool

Shaman
The current generation maybe, but, there will be a new generation, sort of ‘gammon-x’

Not necessarily.

The gammon were educated at a time when the myth of glorious empire still pervaded. Hence Brexit..the ultimate symbol of failure to come to terms with loss of empire.

What the next generation will be depends on the interaction between current zeitgeist and future events.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Not necessarily.

The gammon were educated at a time when the myth of glorious empire still pervaded. Hence Brexit..the ultimate symbol of failure to come to terms with loss of empire.

What the next generation will be depends on the interaction between current zeitgeist and future events.

That is why I said “sort of gammon-x”.

Being ‘educated’ 1952-1968, I don’t recall much Empire.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom