Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you read the original post, I didn’t go to school in the 70’s ;)

If you read the post that you quoted you will see that I was contrasting my experience with yours a decade or so earlier.

mudsticks

Squire
Verge?! 😁

I think the anti woke brigade don't like such improvements as may have been made in recent years to be put into reverse by such divisive thinking, or more accurately emoting.

Could you clarify what you mean by 'divisive' thinking?

Or 'emoting' ?

And also enlighten as to which improvements have been put 'into reverse' in your opinion.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Shaman
I don’t think that. 😊

Go back and look what you posted...

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not actual empire, but the tropes of the glorious empire, and plucky Britain winning the war all by itself were still pervasive.

Even as a kid in the 50s it was clear that we would not have won without the US and our allies, including soldiers from our former 'colonies'.

My older relatives who fought in the war certainly were under no illusions about that.

mudsticks

Squire
Even as a kid in the 50s it was clear that we would not have won without the US and our allies, including soldiers from our former 'colonies'.

My older relatives who fought in the war certainly were under no illusions about that.

I think if anything, the attitudes that glorify war and empire and other such travesties, will flourish the further into history they go.

They just get selectively remembered second hand by those who weren't there to witness the true horror.

There are still plenty of people in their early middle age who will put say Churchill on an unquestioned 'heroic' pedestal, because it's a nice simplistic idea..

There are still wayy more than enough football idiots who will go around chanting 'Two world wars and one world cup' if England is drawn against Germany.

Jingoists abound, and grifters like Farrige etc know exactly how to tap into their blinkered proclivities.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Didn’t John Wayne, Alan Ladd etc win the war single handedly? 😀

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.

No name check for Russia, whose glorious Red Army tore the guts out of the Nazi military machine?

Top Bottom