Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
All I know is life is a never ending cycle. Dictators will rise and fall. USA use other less bad dictators to fight more dangerous dictators. Humans will never learn, history repeats itself.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

Ian H

Guru
No name check for Russia, whose glorious Red Army tore the guts out of the Nazi military machine?

Renovating a house many moons ago I uncovered Daily Express pages used as lining paper. Very early 50s. Front page story praised our friend & ally, Uncle Joe.

Last edited:

Ian H

Guru
Look at that transgender Nashville school shooter. A true real women would never murder 9 year old kids at point blank range with assault rifles and hand guns. I’m pretty sure every US school shooting was done by males.

What was that again?

Milzy

D

Deleted member 121

No name check for Russia, whose glorious Red Army tore the guts out of the Nazi military machine?

You can create a thread about this if you want. I'd love to discuss it without derailing this thread further. But i will say that the contribution by the USSR in WW2 was undeniable and pivotal, the Eastern front was a meat grinder and Churchill understood this as such for the war effort, trying immensely hard to keep Stalin happy, particularly around the North African campaign, Invasion of Italy and D-Day which was a sore point for Stalin for some time. It is undeniable also that the 11,000 Planes, 6000 Tanks and 300,000+ military trucks sent by the US alone to the USSR made a solid impact.
When the Nazi's were in view of Moscow around 40% of their tank fleet was British supplied. It was touch and go there for a while. A British built Valentine (Valentyin) tank was observed along other more modern Soviet tanks by this time, during the assault on the Reichstag 1945.

Ian H

Guru
Back on subject, here's an interesting long read (reviewing a couple of books on the subject). https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v45/n07/daniel-trilling/not-much-like-consent.
‘It’s time for the police to stop virtue-signalling and start catching robbers and burglars,’ the home secretary, Suella Braverman, said at the Conservative Party Conference last autumn. ‘More PCs, less PC.’ It’s not surprising that the government’s most committed culture warrior would use her speech to launch an attack on wokery. What’s strange is that anyone could think that the main problem with the British police is a surfeit of political correctness.

Ian H

Guru
Some more
When a crisis does hit, the Met too often gives the media inaccurate information. After Jean Charles de Menezes, an unarmed civilian, was shot dead by anti-terrorism officers in 2005, Scotland Yard said that he had been acting suspiciously (he hadn’t). When Ian Tomlinson, a passer-by at the G20 protests in 2009, died after being struck by an officer, police briefed that they had been pelted with bottles as they tried to save his life (they hadn’t). When Wayne Couzens was sentenced for Sarah Everard’s murder, many people were enraged by Scotland Yard’s decision to describe him as a ‘former’ police officer (the Met only sacked him after the murder). ‘Policing is very defensive,’ a senior Home Office official [said]. ‘But the Met are absolutely the worst.’

Top Bottom