Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Another one today. Off duty Met sergeant sexually assaulted drunk woman on his stag night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-beach-stag-telling-having-rubbish-night.html

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
They might share certain character traits but I'm not sure the most overwhelming similarity amongst those charged is personality type.

mudsticks

Squire
You might almost think that policing attracts a certain kind of character.
You might think that.

Or maybe being in this sort of institutionalised 'gang' just emboldens and enables a type of behaviour and attitude that isn't really so unusual in the population at large

Of course very few people will admit such tendencies openly.
And there will be plenty that ignore, gloss over, or diminish the import and impact of the issue.

You only have to look at the popularity of gruesome material, and misogynistic attitudes on t'internet in general, to see that people like this, and their apologists aren't nearly so rare as we'd like them to be.

What is weird is that these two people found each other...

Not weird, depressingly routine, from what we hear repeatedly.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Or maybe being in this sort of institutionalised 'gang' just emboldens and enables a type of behaviour and attitude that isn't really so unusual in the population at large

Agreed.

Coppers, in general, are a strange body of men, which I don't doubt is partly due to the unique institution they are part of.

Pre-polis, they were probably ordinary people, but a few years in the job changes a man, or possibly a woman.

I say possibly, because in my experience of talking to hundreds of coppers, the females remain more like the rest of us.

Agreed.

Coppers, in general, are a strange body of men, which I don't doubt is partly due to the unique institution they are part of.

Pre-polis, they were probably ordinary people, but a few years in the job changes a man, or possibly a woman.

I say possibly, because in my experience of talking to hundreds of coppers, the females remain more like the rest of us.

I can agree with the thrust of that. There's a form of arrogance/confidence they must be taught at Coppering school. It comes out in day to day encounters too. Less so perhaps with those who rise to senior ranks - above Inspector level - and stay grounded.

If you're right about the women that'll be because (a) they were not admitted to the male club and (b) they're looking after kids and parents so much more contact with the non Coppering world.

All uphill

You might think that.

Of course very few people will admit such tendencies openly.
And there will be plenty that ignore, gloss over, or diminish the import and impact of the issue.

You only have to look at the popularity of gruesome material, and misogynistic attitudes on t'internet in general, to see that people like this, and their apologists aren't nearly so rare as we'd like them to be.

Not weird, depressingly routine, from what we hear repeatedly.

I imagine an essential part of being a police officer is the ability to quickly take control of whatever situation is in front of them.

Add that to effect of dealing with the most difficult situations every day and the normalisation in our society of men exercising power over women and children and you have a toxic mix.

Closer monitoring, clear leadership and safe whistleblowing procedures would help, and maybe better care for officers who are likely to go way beyond compassion fatigue is needed.

mudsticks

Squire
I imagine an essential part of being a police officer is the ability to quickly take control of whatever situation is in front of them.

Add that to effect of dealing with the most difficult situations every day and the normalisation in our society of men exercising power over women and children and you have a toxic mix.

Closer monitoring, clear leadership and safe whistleblowing procedures would help, and maybe better care for officers who are likely to go way beyond compassion fatigue is needed.

Yup all that.

Plus a general, all round, society wide 'denormalising' of the idea that men should naturally have 'power and control' over women and children.

We're getting somewhere, but it's patchy.

And the push back is strong.

Unsurprisingly those who enjoy the benefits of dominating in an unequal power balance, don't give up their power so easily.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Well, I suppose it makes a change from allegations of sexual misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66360634

A senior Metropolitan Police officer who wrote the force's anti-drugs strategy took LSD and magic mushrooms while off duty and smoked cannabis before work, a tribunal has heard.
Cdr Julian Bennett is also accused of failing to provide a sample for testing and lying about why he would not do so.
The officer is facing a gross misconduct hearing over three allegations of discreditable conduct.
Cdr Bennett, who joined the Met in 1976, denies all the allegations.
He has been suspended on full pay since July 2021.
The hearing in central London was told that in the autumn of 2019, Cdr Bennett regularly smoked cannabis before work.

'Denying it'

Sheila Gomes, a nurse who used to live at the officer's flat, told the hearing: "It would start early in the morning, before breakfast and before he would leave and go to work."
She said he was "extremely controlling", "anxious" and "narcissistic".
"He is still denying it," she told the hearing. "He is still denying something that I saw in front of me when I was living with him."

Pale Rider

Veteran
Well, I suppose it makes a change from allegations of sexual misconduct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66360634

A senior Metropolitan Police officer who wrote the force's anti-drugs strategy took LSD and magic mushrooms while off duty and smoked cannabis before work, a tribunal has heard.
Cdr Julian Bennett is also accused of failing to provide a sample for testing and lying about why he would not do so.
The officer is facing a gross misconduct hearing over three allegations of discreditable conduct.
Cdr Bennett, who joined the Met in 1976, denies all the allegations.
He has been suspended on full pay since July 2021.
The hearing in central London was told that in the autumn of 2019, Cdr Bennett regularly smoked cannabis before work.

'Denying it'

Sheila Gomes, a nurse who used to live at the officer's flat, told the hearing: "It would start early in the morning, before breakfast and before he would leave and go to work."
She said he was "extremely controlling", "anxious" and "narcissistic".
"He is still denying it," she told the hearing. "He is still denying something that I saw in front of me when I was living with him."

He should worry, he's been paid about £150K for doing nowt, and even if sacked, will retire on a pension of about £1,000 a week.

Top Bottom