Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

Shaman
Say it ain’t so.

Police officers are switching off their body-worn cameras when force is used, as well as deleting footage and sharing videos on WhatsApp.
A BBC investigation has uncovered more than 150 reports of camera misuse by forces in England and Wales - described as "shocking" by a leading officer.
In one case, siblings faced a two-year legal battle over footage showing officers' use of force against them.
The Home Office says police use of cameras must be lawful and justified.
The roll-out of body-worn cameras, costing at least £90m over the past decade, was intended to benefit both victims and the police - protecting officers against malicious complaints and improving the quality of evidence collected.
But during a two-year investigation, the BBC has obtained hundreds of reports of misuse from Freedom of Information requests, police sources, misconduct hearings and regulator reports.
The cameras were introduced to improve policing transparency, but we found more than 150 camera misuse reports with cases to answer over misconduct, recommendations for learning or where complaints were upheld

The most serious allegations include:
  • Cases in seven forces where officers shared camera footage with colleagues or friends - either in person, via WhatsApp or on social media
  • Images of a naked person being shared between officers on email and cameras used to covertly record conversations
  • Footage being lost, deleted or not marked as evidence, including video, filmed by Bedfordshire Police, of a vulnerable woman alleging she had been raped by an inspector - the force later blamed an "administrative error"
  • Switching off cameras during incidents, for which some officers faced no sanctions - one force said an officer may have been "confused"
The failures uncovered by the BBC are "unlawful" in some cases, says the National Police Chief Council's lead for body-worn video, Acting Chief Constable Jim Colwell.
"Those incidents go to the heart of what undermines confidence in policing," he says.
He believes more footage should now be released in order to improve public trust.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66809642

I am extremely well-acquainted with some firesarms officers, and I would say that they are at the most professional end of the service.

But they still have trophy photos ( nothing gruesome) that would see them dismissed and lose their pension.

That is the thing about group cultures. Boundaries get crossed and unacceptable behaviour gets normalised. Within the group the behaviour gets justified.

They don't.

Six officers have been killed in the last decade, and none of them were armed officers.
You're point? According to @newfhouse all/many of the ''old sweats'' will retire so you would get a other situation from highly trained and experienced to new recruits, so result from the past offer no forecast for the future in this (hypothetical)case
In that same period the police have killed 30.
No 30 suspects have died in police custody or during arrest that is something else. The london Bridge terrorist was also killed for example due to the mere fact he didn't stop when ordered to do so and he had an (with hinsight fake) suicide vest on, so his death was completely his own making.

...is that no armed police have died in service in a decade.
yeah the bit you leave out is important too, if you replace or are forced to replace officers with years of experience officers with far less experiences the chances of more officers being wounded or killed during their job is bigger. Also Note i did not suggest hordes of officers are being killed during their job, i responded to the question ''what could possibly go wrong?'' with a possible scenario.

Bollocks.

Just this year so far there have been 14 deaths in custody, 8 during pursuits and one RTI.

223 deaths in custody in the last decade.

Multitool knows nothing.
So lets take those 8 pursuits deaths for example, do you seriously claims it's all the Police's fault? if not why that fixation on number of criminals dead? I mean it's quite clear the number off criminals death is always gonna be much higher then the number of officers, but it sounds like somehow you think that the officers fault or something?

multitool

Shaman
yeah the bit you leave out is important too, if you replace or are forced to replace officers with years of experience officers with far less experiences the chances of more officers being wounded or killed during their job is bigger. Also Note i did not suggest hordes of officers are being killed during their job, i responded to the question ''what could possibly go wrong?'' with a possible scenario.

So lets take those 8 pursuits deaths for example, do you seriously claims it's all the Police's fault? if not why that fixation on number of criminals dead? I mean it's quite clear the number off criminals death is always gonna be much higher then the number of officers, but it sounds like somehow you think that the officers fault or something?

All of that is just a series of strawmen.

Are you actually mental?

All of that is just a series of strawmen.

Multitool is actually mental

No it was about police officers, but nevermind i made my point clear you don't have to agree with it.

What a lucky lad.

IMG_3933.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...water-pistol-off-bike-and-pointed-guns-at-him

Pale Rider

Veteran
In other Met news, I see we are - eventually - going to get the name of the firearms officer accused of murdering Chris Kaba.

The notion of an anonymous murder defendant simply cannot be allowed to take hold.

The copper was charged a month or so ago.

Following applications by the media, he will be named at a hearing in January, next year.

Better late than never, I suppose.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67259635

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

It appears that possibly their former colleagues, as well as members of the public, feel they’ve been hard done by and a fundraiser has accumulated £149,000 so far for the sacked pair.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-67261517

Comments on the site describe their dismissal as "scandalous appeasement and scapegoating" and "an utter disgrace".
Ms Williams' solicitor said in a statement: "The comments of the apparently serving officers not only demonstrates an unwillingness to be held to account but it exposes just how toxic the culture in the Met is, and how far off change seems to be.
"The commissioner should immediately come out to publicly support the panel's decision and the importance of accountability in the Met if public confidence in the police stands a chance of being restored in London."

Top Bottom