Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Harassment on white lads is not usually random and for no reason. There is always a reason for police presence, like petty crime or antisocial behavior

In any case, I would say that the police had a very good reason to be interested in them on this occasion. This wasn't harassing a group of friends having loud fun in the park, this was an obvious traffic offence.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
If you saw a 16 year old on a £4k bike you would probably want to stop them and ask where they got it.

C R

Über Member
That is quite a loaded statement, and I'm curious as to what underpins it.

In my experience the police know who the problematic people are.

The police are perfectly capable of harassing people for no reason they (the police) know will have little come back. That doesn't seem to be the case in this story.

Regardless of their supposed character, or indeed that of their family, it's an awful tragedy for all involved, including the police officers involved in trying to stop them.

We have a problem around here of young men tearing round farmers fields and along the river bank on motorbikes. Not an issue when they are off road as they are only likely to hurt themselves. Unfortunately to get to the fields they ride in a similar fashion on residential roads; no helmets, masks on, no registration plates on bikes, doing wheelies and not in control of the bike. Could be 15 years old, could be 20. Should the police try to apprehend them before they hit someone? Or stay back in case they kill themselves escaping?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
That is quite a loaded statement, and I'm curious as to what underpins it.

In my experience the police know who the problematic people are.

We've had decades of policy criminalising young people, and years of eviscerating youth services and community facilities. Labelling young people, their families and sometimes their entire communities as 'problematic' is largely self-fulfilling.

albion

Guru
The problem in the UK us that over 20% of secondary schoolchildren are persistently absent. (34% during Covid).

Their parents were the same?

multitool

We've had decades of policy criminalising young people, and years of eviscerating youth services and community facilities.

In what way have the young been 'criminalised'. Which laws have been passed that criminalise them?

Labelling young people, their families and sometimes their entire communities as 'problematic' is largely self-fulfilling.

This is true. But what if they are 'problematic'? What language should we use?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
In what way have the young been 'criminalised'. Which laws have been passed that criminalise them

If you don't remember any of this, it explains why you're always so surprised that everyone hates New Labour.

This is true. But what if they are 'problematic'? What language should we use?

Rather than worrying first about the correct labels, we could just stop pretending that young people are the problem, stop drawing them into the criminal justice system for minor transgressions or because of suspicions about what they might do, and start rebuilding youth and community services.

Top Bottom