Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

If you don't remember any of this, it explains why you're always so surprised that everyone hates New Labour.

That is a non-answer.

Do you meant anti-social behaviour laws? Do you feel anti-social behaviour should not be policed?

Rather than worrying first about the correct labels, we could just stop pretending that young people are the problem, stop drawing them into the criminal justice system for minor transgressions or because of suspicions about what they might do, and start rebuilding youth and community services.

Another non-answer that tries to evade the issue of what to do with people who blight their own communities.

There is a junkie who lives 50 yards from my house. He, and his partner are terrorising his elderly neighbours who live in council sheltered bungalows. He has threatened them, entered their house and stolen from them. Yesterday his partner stole something from my front garden. They hide their drugs in street grit bins and in the phone box library.

Should I propose that they join the local bee-keeping club instead?

ps It was Cameron's government that had the 'Troubled families' policies, not New Labour.

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Another non-answer

9pm curfews, asbos, naming and shaming for 10 year olds, 'mosquito' devices, repeated cuts to single-parent benefits and forcing single parents to work, hoodie bans, increased stop-and-search powers, cuts to disability benefits and fit-to-work tests, cuts to housing benefit , further criminalisation of minor and recreational drug use, hiking tuition fees, jailing 1K children for breaching asbos, benefit cuts for long-term unemployed, lie-detector tests for benefit claimants, scrapping maintenance grants... and that's before you get to the raft attacks on refugees, asylum seekers, Muslims and GRT people. Yes, I know that is a mixture of legislation, policy and rhetoric, but that's largely because some things were successfully opposed. This article gives a flavour of the Blair government's implacable hostility and authoritarian approach to young people, for those with short memories.

There is a junkie who lives 50 yards from my house. He, and his partner are terrorising his elderly neighbours who live in council sheltered bungalows. He has threatened them, entered their house and stolen from them. Yesterday his partner stole something from my front garden. They hide their drugs in street grit bins and in the phone box library.

Yes that's definitely what I'm saying. But at least you'll get a like from Bolders.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
That is a non-answer.

Do you meant anti-social behaviour laws? Do you feel anti-social behaviour should not be policed?

Another non-answer that tries to evade the issue of what to do with people who blight their own communities.

ps It was Cameron's government that had the 'Troubled families' policies, not New Labour.

There's a little bit of shep in all of us, plainly.
How about, ooh I dunno, a treatment rather than criminalising model; a stabilising, harm-reducing script of whatever junk junkie's addicted to and the offer of help when he's able to receive it? Then y'all can get your Burroughs and St Aubyn and Jim Carroll from the phone box library without stumbling across his stash.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
You have to be kidding? New Labour introduced the ASBO, amongst other things which @theclaud has pointed out.

As for your junkie neighbour, you seriously expect us to believe they "hide" their drugs in public places? Very good. Although to entertain this fanciful notion, how do you know? Are these spots drops for you?

albion

Guru
I'm entirely in favour of a crackdown on speeding and pavement parking, if that's what you mean.

Schools turn a blind eye to absenteeism. It ensures they do not fail all the exams they have not sat.
Is it not Germany where failing pupils pupils simply repeat a year in order to catch up?

theclaud

Reading around the chip
You have to be kidding? New Labour introduced the ASBO, amongst other things which @theclaud has pointed out.

As for your junkie neighbour, you seriously expect us to believe they "hide" their drugs in public places? Very good. Although to entertain this fanciful notion, how do you know? Are these spots drops for you?

Multers despairing of the work ethic of minor local cartel members.

breaking-bad.jpg

Last edited:

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Schools turn a blind eye to absenteeism. It ensures they do not fail all the exams they have not sat.
Is it not Germany where failing pupils pupils simply repeat a year in order to catch up?

I'm gonna have to ask @Adam4868 for an explanation of the relationship between this reply and my post.

They honestly don't, but it's more complicated that just sending the wag man round. There are a number of factors involved, of which lack of parental support is a big one. If they won't attend Year 11 with their mates they are unlikely to attend when they have to repeat it. Lockdown hasn't helped either.

There's a huge number of things that contribute to kids and anti-social behaviour and there needs to be more intervention at an earlier age, eg Surestart, nursery places, support for parents. We shouldn't underestimate the absolute misery that a small number of kids can cause, even 10 year olds, to their neighbours, shopkeepers etc though. You can balance prevention with intervention of other services, like the police, if there's the political will, and money, to do it. I'm sure the police would rather not be called out to deal with abusive kids vandalising stuff.

Last edited:

albion

Guru
They honestly don't, but it's more complicated that just sending the wag man round. There are a number of factors involved, of which lack of parental support is a big one. If they won't attend Year 11 with their mates they are unlikely to attend when they have to repeat it. Lockdown hasn't helped either.

There's a huge number of things that contribute to kids and anti-social behaviour and there needs to be more intervention at an earlier age, eg Surestart, nursery places, support for parents. We shouldn't underestimate the absolute misery that a small number of kids can cause, even 10 year olds, to their neighbours, shopkeepers etc though. You can balance prevention with intervention of other services, like the police, if there's the political will, and money, to do it. I'm sure the police would rather not be called out to deal with abusive kids vandalising stuff.
Exam tables mean it is in schools interests to not have children sit exams. A problem is, many of the parents never attended school so they often assist their own kids absenteeism.

We can be certain that failing kids find it less stressful to be absent, thus the German system, in some cases helps.

D

Deleted member 49

I'm gonna have to ask @Adam4868 for an explanation of the relationship between this reply and my post.
I think maybe it was that it couldn't be the same parents that don't send there kids to school parking on pavements and speeding, obviously they were all sat on their arses at home watching daytime tv on their humongous flat screens ?
But I could be wrong....

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That is a non-answer.

You live in the same street as junkies and (shudder) Council Houses? I am shocked ;)

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Exam tables mean it is in schools interests to not have children sit exams. A problem is, many of the parents never attended school so they often assist their own kids absenteeism.

We can be certain that failing kids find it less stressful to be absent, thus the German system, in some cases helps.

Daughter No2 is a Maths teacher in a County Durham Comprehensive, when I hear her talk about it, it sounds more like a Containment Centre than a place of education, and, that of course is considering those who do attend.

Top Bottom