Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

You have to be kidding? New Labour introduced the ASBO, amongst other things which @theclaud has pointed out.

It's the preserve of the middle-classes to never have to imagine an environment blighted by anti-social behaviour.

As for your junkie neighbour, you seriously expect us to believe they "hide" their drugs in public places? Very good. Although to entertain this fanciful notion, how do you know? Are these spots drops for you?

No you are right. The junkie was clearly being civic minded and intended to grit the pavement outside the old-peoples bungalows, in May, before settling down to a nice relaxing read of War and Peace from the phonebox.

multitool

a treatment rather than criminalising model; a stabilising, harm-reducing script of whatever junk junkie's addicted to and the offer of help when he's able to receive it? Then y'all can get your Burroughs and St Aubyn and Jim Carroll from the phone box library without stumbling across his stash.

I'm all in favour of that.

But it isn't going to happen, at least in the immediate future, so in the meantime, what is your solution.

multitool

I literally work in an open-door environment in the middle of Swansea High Street every day.

A city high street with permanent CCTV, City rangers, and...most importantly a PSPO prohibiting all sorts of behaviours

Screenshot_20230529_141301_Samsung Notes.jpg

Also, you don't live there. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't live in Townhill or Penderry either. And here is the thing, it's the residents of these areas that suffer the effects of ASB.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
A city high street with permanent CCTV, City rangers, and...most importantly a PSPO prohibiting all sorts of behaviours

View attachment 3957

Also, you don't live there. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't live in Townhill or Penderry either. And here is the thing, it's the residents of these areas that suffer the effects of ASB.

LOL the PSPO is just one of many failed authoritarian measures supposedly addressing the social problems of the area, of which I like to think I have some understanding on account of the fact that we've been carving out a community space in a city centre dominated by the interests of developers and neglected by top-down strategies for well over a decade. Occasionally some goon from a security firm dressed up as a business support organisation will drop in expecting me to display a poster exhorting people not to give money to homeless people. I am indeed quite glad that I can leave at the end of the day and sleep somewhere quieter and safer after a short and usually pleasant bike ride, but it's ridiculous to suggest I'm not affected by antisocial behaviour when I have to deal with it most days on or immediately outside the premises, and when I'm formally responsible for the safeguarding and wellbeing of others. I've watched people die of drug overdoses, been both assaulted and harassed by visitors, suffered theft and vandalism, and am perpetually having to keep an eye on people who may present a risk to me or others. It's fine to make a distinction between workers and residents, and I'd agree that residents are on the sharp end, but it's not necessary to pretend that a grassroots organisation is not part of its community or that its workforce is detached from reality. I doubt you'd make the same judgement about the politicians and police chiefs who enforce stuff like PSPOs, but I promise that they don't live in the Dyfatty Flats either.

Meanwhile, a few hundred yards up the road from my house in a posher (and safer, if you ignore the threat of being run over by a 4x4) bit of town, another facility for addicts manages to exist mostly in peace and harmony with the neighbourhood - not because the residents are angels, but because they are provided with support services and a liveable environment, not bothered by the cops unless they actually do something criminal, and not treated as if their existence is inherently problematic.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's the preserve of the middle-classes to never have to imagine an environment blighted by anti-social behaviour.

No you are right. The junkie was clearly being civic minded and intended to grit the pavement outside the old-peoples bungalows, in May, before settling down to a nice relaxing read of War and Peace from the phonebox.

I've lived in some of the most deprived areas in Newcastle, Sunderland and Gateshead. Still do as it happens, but you assume away.

And yeah, I probably am. No junkie or dealer is stashing anything in a gritter or a phone box unless it's a pick up point.

multitool

And yeah, I probably am. No junkie or dealer is stashing anything in a gritter or a phone box unless it's a pick up point.

Oh, that's OK then

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
LOL the PSPO is just one of many failed authoritarian measures supposedly addressing the social problems of the area, of which I like to think I have some understanding on account of the fact that we've been carving out a community space in a city centre dominated by the interests of developers and neglected by top-down strategies for well over a decade. Occasionally some goon from a security firm dressed up as a business support organisation will drop in expecting me to display a poster exhorting people not to give money to homeless people. I am indeed quite glad that I can leave at the end of the day and sleep somewhere quieter and safer after a short and usually pleasant bike ride, but it's ridiculous to suggest I'm not affected by antisocial behaviour when I have to deal with it most days on or immediately outside the premises, and when I'm formally responsible for the safeguarding and wellbeing of others. I've watched people die of drug overdoses, been both assaulted and harassed by visitors, suffered theft and vandalism, and am perpetually having to keep an eye on people who may present a risk to me or others. It's fine to make a distinction between workers and residents, and I'd agree that residents are on the sharp end, but it's not necessary to pretend that a grassroots organisation is not part of its community or that its workforce is detached from reality. I doubt you'd make the same judgement about the politicians and police chiefs who enforce stuff like PSPOs, but I promise that they don't live in the Dyfatty Flats either.

Meanwhile, a few hundred yards up the road from my house in a posher (and safer, if you ignore the threat of being run over by a 4x4) bit of town, another facility for addicts manages to exist mostly in peace and harmony with the neighbourhood - not because the residents are angels, but because they are provided with support services and a liveable environment, not bothered by the cops unless they actually do something criminal, and not treated as if their existence is inherently problematic.

You clearly have quite an insight into "how the other half lives". It often occurs to me, when I encounter my day-to-day acquaintances that many of them have absolutely no idea of the above. Not their (my day-to-day acquaintances) fault of course, just the hand that life has dealt them.

multitool

But making stuff up about addicts is?

I think perhaps you misunderstood my post. It was a sarcastic retort to your suggestion that the drugs stashing was just for a pick-up, as if that is entirely acceptable. This is a village with young children, including my own.

As for your suggestion that I am lying, you can go and fück yourself.

Let me put some meat on the bones of this for you, given your predilection for pronouncing on matters about which you know nothing...

Two weeks ago the police searched his bungalow and came out with evidence bags. Three days ago a near neighbour watched a car known to the police pull into a yard by her house. The junkie got in, sat in there for 20 minutes, then money was passed to him. The car is known to the police for drug activity. An hour later another car pulled up. Occupants sat in there and waited for 20 minutes, until one got out and tried to piss on neighbours house.

The car was chased off by neighbour. Junkie's girlfriend then got in car for a bit.

So, pick ups are not happening in the grit bin and phone box. They are happening by my neighbours house. I don't think they are keeping quantities of drugs in the house because they know they police may come again.

They are quite right. The police will come again, because me and a couple of others are co-ordinating it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom