Continuation of Covid Vaccine post from the main site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I think the real question is how do we attract more staff to nursing and medicine.

I had a similar waiting experience with a broken leg in 2009, and that was before the junior doctors were thrashed and the nurses obliged to pay for their training on the job.

Also it was a bad idea to sell off so many hospital and treatment premises.

Last edited:

mjr

Possibly, but I’m prepared to forgive them such a low level intrusion. When compared to the major errors of policy and judgement it doesn’t register at all with me. I don’t believe it is the thin end of a wedge.
I don't think it is the thin end of a wedge and I agree that much worse has been done, but those do not seem good reasons to excuse this, so I am not willing to forgive them spamming. It may be minor compared to other things, but it is yet another sin.

What do we do about the unvaccinated who appear to be filling the hospitals?
They get medical help, and if it is to late, they die. That's the choice they made by refusing vaccination, alltough even vaccinated you can still die of the virus but the chances are smaller.

I don't think it's a good idea to start separate things for unvaccinated people, i think it's creating an divide we shouldn't want to be creating. Other countries who have already done this also show it isn't an big success, it does not have an noticeable effect on admissions and the number of cases.

I think the real question is how do we attract more staff to nursing and medicine.

I had a similar waiting experience with a broken leg in 2009, and that was before the junior doctors were thrashed and the nurses obliged to pay for their training on the job.

Also it was a bad idea to sell off so many hospital and treatment premises.
I agree that more staff is certainly needed but if you look at the numbers there is one interesting one and that is the amount of patients, doctors, nurses etc. infected in the hospital. While with an highly infectious virus it won't be possible to get it to zero they got to do better.
A other thing is considering that attracking more nurses and doctors is an time consuming thing, looking at ways to ease the pressure for example by having a other person teach person on crutches how to walk the stairs. I would say a cardio physiolist would be able to do that too. or the guy you go to with sport injuries. maybe even an personal trainer.

Paying for training on the job is almost as strange as different pay based on gender for the same job, it shouldn't happen.

matticus

Guru
Someone asked on the London-Edinburgh-London FB page if riders would need to be vaxed. (Its hopefully running in August) riders apply this week, so it kinda makes sense to ask the question ...
Can of worms exploded, unsurprisingly!

PaulB

It wouldn't surprise me if 'feasibility studies' have been discussed to have a two-tier system for the vaccinated V the unvaccinated. Then it's a logical step to expanding the current two-tier 'Private' V NHS patient. After that, a designated 'Asset Checker' riding in every ambulance to make sure the patient has the funds to pay for the likely treatment required.

Someone asked on the London-Edinburgh-London FB page if riders would need to be vaxed. (Its hopefully running in August) riders apply this week, so it kinda makes sense to ask the question ...
Can of worms exploded, unsurprisingly!
I thought it was still a cycling event....

Are the unvaxed worried about wheel-sucking somebody who might be vaccine shedding?

What do we do about the unvaccinated who appear to be filling the hospitals?

[Anecdote alert] A friend broke her leg on a dry ski slope on the 27th Dec. An ambulance was going to be at least an hour, so she got a taxi to A&E (large city somewhere oop north). Having been admitted and assessed, she was told they'd have to operate and scheduled it for the following day.

The date quickly slipped a couple of days, then no firm date available. In a panic & in pain she discharged herself, thinking to get to he local hospital (smaller town, likely less stretched). They didn't have a bed when she got there. She was in various corridors for hours. Eventually things calmed down so that she was admitted. The op happened yesterday.

Today the place has gone into meltdown with ambulances queued up outside. She's waiting for training to use crutches on stairs before they'll discharge her. Nurses already treating her as a bed-blocker.

I have no idea how hospital staff can cope with that kind of pressure for any length of time.
Me neither.
I've watched a few of the better 'medical' fly on the wall docs recently and what is abundantly clear is the pressure on staff and lack of beds was clearly an issue even before Covid. The pandemic has simply added insult to injury. With a limited resource all that can be done is prioritise and create an ever bigger backlog.
The answers are in fact simple, it's the political will that's difficult.
Prioritise prevention over treatment (so many beds are filled with people with ailments that are lifestyle related and preventable)
Increase hospital capacity - beds/theatres/Ambulances
Increase staff - currently 65000 vacancies or thereabout. To solve this the medical profession especially nursing and primary care needs to be more attractive - that's readily solvable too

The above needs to be paid for, a progressive tax system needs to be developed and ringfenced - like NI which is really NI.

matticus

Guru
[ LEL ] :
I thought it was still a cycling event....

Are the unvaxed worried about wheel-sucking somebody who might be vaccine shedding?
I don't think so! Some of the vax-ed are unhappy about sharing buildings (food, accommodation etc) with the unvaxéd.
I can see the can being reopened nearer the event if the pandemic hasn't faded away a lot. In reality I think the organisers will attempt to comply closely with gvernment advice in place at time of event [complicated by crossing into Scotland and back again!]

classic33

I was tempted to post this in the Mental Health thread but..
https://www.theguardian.com/society...ed-man-217-covid-jabs-no-side-effects-germany
'Overall, we did not find any indication for a weaker immune response, rather the contrary,” said one of the leading study authors Katharina Kocher'
Will he live to 100?
There's some suggestion that he was doing it to get the vaccinated certificates, which he then sold on..

Given that in Germany at the time, these certificates were required to go almost anywhere, it seems as though there was money being made out of it.

Top Bottom