COP26: All talk or some real action on climate change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru
The carbon footprints of those attending will be pretty irrelevant if they can agree on and execute a realistic plan for saving us from ourselves. But fossil fuel lobbyists and other are already working furiously behind the scenes to derail any meaningful progress. I expect the outcome to be an impressive-sounding statement that won't stand up to scrutiny. I hope it will be better than that.

The carbon footprints of those attending will be pretty irrelevant if they can agree on and execute a realistic plan for saving us from ourselves. But fossil fuel lobbyists and other are already working furiously behind the scenes to derail any meaningful progress. I expect the outcome to be an impressive-sounding statement that won't stand up to scrutiny. I hope it will be better than that.
China is not attending, out of a top10 mot polluting city chart 4 of them where in China... but see to buy something with not at least one part made in China..
Normal poeple will pay the bill, nothing will change down the line

Archie_tect

Expecting China to absorb all the embodied CO2 assigned to them from manufacturing the rest of the world's stuff, and then complaining about their current record, isn't going to solve the problem... we all have to work together to find better/ cleaner ways of working.

Products and services are part of the global infrastructure... they need global solutions. I keep harping on about a global PV energy supplies and storage network, but that is the biggest opportunity we have to cut emissions to COP 26 levels.... but it needs cooperation and R+D investment now, not tomorrow, 2022 or 2030.

mudsticks

Squire

Don't worry Ian..

I'm going along to help 'save the planet' by advocating for sustainable land use, and agroecological food production practices, which can capture rather than release carbon .. :okay:

Expecting China to absorb all the embodied CO2 assigned to them from manufacturing the rest of the world's stuff, and then complaining about their current record, isn't going to solve the problem... we all have to work together to find better/ cleaner ways of working.

Products and services are part of the global infrastructure... they need global solutions. I keep harping on about a global PV energy supplies and storage network, but that is the biggest opportunity we have to cut emissions to COP 26 levels.... but it needs cooperation and R+D investment now, not tomorrow, 2022 or 2030.

It's achieving the working together, cooperation and collaboration mindset, rather than endlessly competitive stance, which is our biggest hurdle imo.

We've sort of shown we have potential to do that with the covid response.

But we still need to get a whole heap better at it..

I'm attending with a positive mindset, in part because being there with anything else would be utterly pointless.

But also because I know there are so many already available methodologies, which although they won't stop CC , they could at least slow it down, and build climate resilience..

mjr

China is not attending,
I'm not sure where you read that because it seems to me that China is attending, with a fairly large delegation headed by a diplomat. https://qz.com/2077072/meet-xie-zhenhua-chinas-top-climate-diplomat-at-cop26/

China's president is not attending in person but is expected to appear by video link. He hasn't travelled much during the pandemic and participated in last weekend's Rome G20 by video link too. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/xi-jinping-china-beijing-glasgow-scotland-b1947493.html

I dunno, people complain about all the world leaders flying in and then others say one using a video link instead of flying in isn't there!

maybe that's part of the problem, maybe producing locally would be better climate wise.
While the us have China still on the list of ''nations we don't want to close ties with'' nd when china in turn has proven to use technology they provide to spy on deserters/persons of interest
I'm not sure where you read that because it seems to me that China is attending, with a fairly large delegation headed by a diplomat. https://qz.com/2077072/meet-xie-zhenhua-chinas-top-climate-diplomat-at-cop26/

China's president is not attending in person but is expected to appear by video link. He hasn't travelled much during the pandemic and participated in last weekend's Rome G20 by video link too. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/xi-jinping-china-beijing-glasgow-scotland-b1947493.html

I dunno, people complain about all the world leaders flying in and then others say one using a video link instead of flying in isn't there!
i read he could'nt be bothered to do the video link (Xi Jiping)but to be honest i was quite busy today so i have'nt read it in detail.
I think it was more that the leaves on the line were still attached to trees!
We need those russian trains, they move whole snow mountians so they wont have an trouble branching out

Xipe Totec

Something nasty in the woodshed
Apropos of absolutely nothing of relevance, I've just found out that Joe Biden is staying at a hotel about a mile and a half down the road from me.

Even the Queen gave a speech, this must impress all those suits there, will there be any result? Or will it just be the same, companies make commercials that they strive tp reach net zero in 2030 or 35, 50 of maybe in 2100 so in normal poeple terms that mean we pay more and get less.. must be feeling like really making a change when you arrive in one of the 400! private jets.. i get it all those guys ego's are way to big to do something like plane-sharing.. the environment will understand

China is not attending, out of a top10 mot polluting city chart 4 of them where in China... but see to buy something with not at least one part made in China..
Normal poeple will pay the bill, nothing will change down the line

China has a 1.4 billion populations and is the manufacturing capital of the world so the figures are going to be skewed. However, amounts of CO2 released per person shows that the USA, Australia, Canada and Saudi Arabia release double the amount of CO2 per person than China.

They have 2/3 of the world's high speed rail capacity and are doubling that and have increased forested areas from 12% in 1990 to 23% now. Add the solar energy capacity, hydropower, nuclear and wind power as well as mass transit systems in Chinese cities, it's China that's leading the way, not the USA.

Where's the USA's high speed rail? Not one km built.

D

Deleted member 49

China = Bad 🙄
Suprised Johnson hasn't got one of those catchy slogans that everyone oh so loves.Save humanity now....Get climate change done ? Nah better to think everyone else is the ones not pulling their socks up.
Screenshot_20211101-191250.png

Top Bottom