Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Many people admit to crimes they have not committed even without torture
Indeed. I seem to recall a case fairly recently where a young man (?with special needs?) confessed to a murder that he had absolutely nothing to do with. It took some time to establish that he had nothing to do with it.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
How about the death penalty is to show the value of human life?
Perfectly sensible :wacko:

matticus

Guru
But he's not, though, is he. He's just a toddler smearing himself in his own poo because he thinks other people are shocked by it. They may reply to him, but he's still the one covered in poo.

And yet some seem compelled to stare at the poo, to describe it to their friends, and return to do so many times.
A symbiotic relationship, perhaps?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
As for the problem of proving guilt, which is a real one, you could make a capital sentence dependent on absolute proof of guilt.

You then have to acquit everyone else since by that argument there's clearly reasonable doubt.

To me it's a simple moral question. It's never right to take another persons life under any circumstances other than self defence.

In any event, so far as the death penalty for murder is concerned there are enough cases before 1964 were people were hanged and subsequently shown to be innocent. In at least one case the victim, Derek Bentley, was actually cleared by the Court of Appeal.

There are any number of cases post 1964 which seemed open and shut. Stefan Kisko is one (standout) example but there are plenty of others.

Had the rope been available in the seventies there would be something approaching a dozen Irishmen and women hanged where (at its mildest) reasonable doubt was subsequently found to exist.

D

Deleted member 49

Had the rope been available in the seventies there would be something approaching a dozen Irishmen and women hanged where (at its mildest) reasonable doubt was subsequently found to exist.
A dozen lol....keep going.There again they didn't need the rope they had murder squads under the guise of the British Army.

D

Deleted member 49

Lord Denning...probally one of our most famous judges.The good old days !
“We shouldn’t have all these campaigns to get them released if they’d been hanged. They’d have been forgotten and the whole community would have been satisfied.”

multitool

Shaman
And yet some seem compelled to stare at the poo, to describe it to their friends, and return to do so many times.
A symbiotic relationship, perhaps?

Ahh, but you overlook the sporting aspect of forum life. It is thus...

Shep crafts the most inane and dunderheaded political commentary he can, ensuring that he carefully excludes facts, as facts are easily countered, and lays an emotive trap for the other protagonists.

The job of his protagonists is to skilfuly avoid his traps but at the same time profer cultured abuse that cannot be seen to be discriminatory.

presta

Murder rate higher in states with the death penalty:
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-...y-states-compared-to-non-death-penalty-states
:banghead:the worrying thing is how many voters fail to see the flaw in that logic.
The last time I saw a Tory calling for CP it was the parents who murdered their son. I asked him if he would have seen Sally Clark hang, but it just got me a 24 hour Twitter ban, for inciting suicide. :wacko:
Probably not much chance if it was a conviction based on forensics, but still possible if it was a case based on witness testimony.
Roy Meadow was an 'expert' witness who wasn't an expert.
Another child murder, you can usually count on those to make people see red and lose the plot.

Reactions: C R

presta

Indeed. I seem to recall a case fairly recently where a young man (?with special needs?) confessed to a murder that he had absolutely nothing to do with. It took some time to establish that he had nothing to do with it.

Law professor explains how innocent people can convict themselves by waiving their right to silence, and telling the truth:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

He's a bit of a character, it's quite funny if you're not the one being convicted.

Volume 2:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIt-l2YmH8M

Last edited:
Top Bottom