Death penalty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
didn't you read my post?
I did. I don’t understand your confusion given that this was part of the conversation.

Apart from the Tories and their dangleberries (UKIP, Reform and so on) which parties have a history of fomenting fear and hatred?

Salty seadog

It's a pointless discussion as it'll never be reinstated so I can't see why you lot are getting all gammon over it.

I'd be more worried about Boris getting back in power if I were you.😉

So you still cannot bring yourself to answer the question.

Are you willing to trade a few state killings of innocent people in exchange for killing a load of bad apples.

Don't worry about the chances of capital punishment coming back. Just give us your answer to the question.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
As in DNA found on murder victims bodies for example rather than " In my expert opinion this baby was shaken to death ".

With me now, or a video showing someone trying to cut someone's head off, that sort of evidence.

I think we’ve arrived at the point where it comes down to who you and the “stands to reason” mob think is deserving, haven’t we?

As for DNA evidence, it is a powerful tool but not infallible. Try reading these for starters.

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/science/scientific-insights/the-failures-of-forensic-science/
https://www.science.org/content/article/forensics-gone-wrong-when-dna-snares-innocent

D

Deleted member 28

I think we’ve arrived at the point where it comes down to who you and the “stands to reason” mob think is deserving, haven’t we?

As for DNA evidence, it is a powerful tool but not infallible. Try reading these for starters.

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/science/scientific-insights/the-failures-of-forensic-science/
https://www.science.org/content/article/forensics-gone-wrong-when-dna-snares-innocent

I agree it's not infallible but there's years of appeal process to uncover these errors before they pull the lever.

Simple question, why not kill the likes of Myra Hindley, the Krays, Lee Rigbys killer, the Soham murderer etc etc I assume you're satisfied they were guilty?

multitool

Shaman
Didn't they say that about Brexit?

Just as cultural memory of rationale behind abolition has faded, leading to the ignorant to call for it's reinstitution, so too had the political understanding that referenda are a bad way to determine policy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
I agree it's not infallible but there's years of appeal process to uncover these errors before they pull the lever.

Simple question, why not kill the likes of Myra Hindley, the Krays, Lee Rigbys killer, the Soham murderer etc etc I assume you're satisfied they were guilty?

We have spoken so far about the fallibility of the judicial process as a reason for not having death sentences. Equally important to me is my belief that the wider state - politicians especially - should not be allowed to decide who lives and who dies at the stroke of a pen. If you look at countries that still kill prisoners it is easy to see that such decisions, and the timings of the executions, are often motivated by electoral popularity. I’m against giving them that amount of power, whoever they are.

Salty seadog

And if they discover the error after the lever has been pulled?

Your second point, see the line above.

D

Deleted member 28

And if they discover the error after the lever has been pulled?

Your second point, see the line above.

So in your eyes you still think there's an outside chance EVERYONE in jail for murder in the UK might be innocent?

Simple question, do you think there is any chance Lee Rigbys killer didn't do it, yes or no.

D

Deleted member 28

Equally important to me is my belief that the wider state - politicians especially - should not be allowed to decide who lives and who dies at the stroke of a pen. If you look at countries that still kill prisoners it is easy to see that such decisions, and the timings of the executions, are often motivated by electoral popularity. I’m against giving them that amount of power, whoever they are.

Very sweet of you.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

pleb
Simple question, do you think there is any chance Lee Rigbys killer didn't do it, yes or no.

448C6A23-E730-48E8-9D24-604E458DE9A0.jpeg

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
I clearly don't want innocent people put to death but I believe there is enough technology to prove in certain cases 100%.

Your faith is misplaced.
No criminal justice system is infallible.

Mistakes will be made and wrongful convictions will always be a risk. With our current system (no death penalty) at least those miscarriages can be corrected, to some degree, sooner or later. With the death penalty, that you would favour, corrections would be impossible.

Why is it that you won’t acknowledge this aspect of capital punishment?

multitool

Shaman
I think there's probably a fair bit of Shep's DNA splashed all over his dressing gown now that he's fiddled himself into a frenzy, not just over reintroducing the death penalty, but reintroducing the death penalty for murdering our soldiers, and not only reintroducing the death penalty for murdering our soldiers but reintroducing the death penalty for murdering our soldiers committed by Muslims. Urrrrrrrgh
20-35-09-MV5BOTQ2N2I5MDgtODA0NC00M2NmLWIyNzAtNjNlYTQxYWQ4ZTQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjA3NDg2Mzg@._V1_.jpg

Salty seadog

So in your eyes you still think there's an outside chance EVERYONE in jail for murder in the UK might be innocent?

Nope.

Nope.

Simple question as I'm happy to answer yours, answer mine.

Are you willing to trade a few state killings of innocent people in exchange for killing a load of bad apples?

Top Bottom