"F*ck the Tories!" A thread dedicated to Nadine Dorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It doesn't work in schools.

My school dinners suggestions were tongue in cheek but I think rewarding good attendance (in various ways) works quite well in most schools for most kids. Not the hard core school refusers obviously.

Labour will abolish the House of Lords though won't they....

Minor tinkering and kicking it in to the long grass, if that. No government wants to get mired down in dealing with a massive thing like electoral reform/HOL reform, especially not in their first term in office in decades. Tweaks added to the manifesto for the next election after a successful first term possibly.

If Starmer doesn't get elected where do we see things going? More radical leader or more of the same?

albion

Guru
It is an "honour" to be there.

No allowance allowance necessary! £10 for a KFC meal is all that is neccessary.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
My school dinners suggestions were tongue in cheek but I think rewarding good attendance (in various ways) works quite well in most schools for most kids. Not the hard core school refusers obviously.

It depends on what you mean by 'work' but a system of punishment and reward for school attendance is fundamentally unjust and certainly results in additional trauma for children who are unable to attend.

Minor tinkering and kicking it in to the long grass, if that. No government wants to get mired down in dealing with a massive thing like electoral reform/HOL reform, especially not in their first term in office in decades. Tweaks added to the manifesto for the next election after a successful first term possibly.

If Starmer doesn't get elected where do we see things going? More radical leader or more of the same?

Abolition is going to be a massive undertaking. Like Brexit, it'll consume vast amounts of cash and political energy out of all proportion to any real gain. An example of opportunity cost that four year olds could understand..

icowden

Legendary Member
It works in schools. Poor attenders don't get to go on the end of year Thorpe Park trip.
That would be viewed by most schools as absolutely appalling and exclusionary of children who may be subject to SEND or Child Protection interventions. Poor attendance is usually a family issue, not an issue with the child themselves.

I attended an open day once at a state school near me. The head gave a speech about how they had a Hogwarts like approach and the house with the most house points at the end of the year got to have a party on the school fields whilst the other houses continued to have lessons.

I learned two things from this:-
  1. The head teacher had not read Harry Potter - or if he had, had failed to understand it. All children at Hogwarts attend the end of year feast. The colours / decoration displayed is of the winning house. Dumbledore excludes no-one.
  2. I would not be sending my child to a school where the head is illiterate and sowing discord.

D

Deleted member 49

Abolition is going to be a massive undertaking. Like Brexit, it'll consume vast amounts of cash and political energy out of all proportion to any real gain. An example of opportunity cost that four year olds could understand..
Fiscal rules ?

D

Deleted member 49

Yea I think that about sums it up...tinkering.
I think he'll get elected,I'm pretty sure a Donkey with a Red Rosette would ! It's just a waste for me, Tory lite... pointless as a opposition.

albion

Guru
Tories essentially are a bunch of rats looking after number one.

Starmer is wooden but no Tory.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It depends on what you mean by 'work' but a system of punishment and reward for school attendance is fundamentally unjust and certainly results in additional trauma for children who are unable to attend.

In the schools I've been in they've always used their discretion over such things so that the good kids don't miss out through no fault of their own. Nobody was punished for poor attendance, other than not being rewarded. The big danger with any rewards system, for behaviour or anything else, is the more challenging children getting in a position where they feel they can never make up ground. You always have to give them a way back and a way out.

I attended an open day once at a state school near me. The head gave a speech about how they had a Hogwarts like approach and the house with the most house points at the end of the year got to have a party on the school fields whilst the other houses continued to have lessons.

I've only briefly worked in a school with the House system. It's intended to build a sense of unity but doesn't really work other than to give you another way to divide kids up for Sports Day and Prize Giving. Comes from a time when state schools were trying to ape public schools I suppose. The same school used to play the Chariots of Fire theme as the teams came out for Sports Day.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
For some kids who are neither academic or sporty, good attendance might be all they've got. It takes a lot to turn up to school every single day. It's perfectly possible to reward that good attendance in a way that doesn't upset other kids.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
For some kids who are neither academic or sporty, good attendance might be all they've got. It takes a lot to turn up to school every single day. It's perfectly possible to reward that good attendance in a way that doesn't upset other kids.

Not with trips to Thorpe Park though. I'm sure if there is a way then it's more nuanced than that.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
To be honest the Thorpe Park/HOL remark was just a throwaway line. The last school I was at stopped the end of term trips 20 years ago. Too much hassle for staff and most kids aren't that bothered these days, at high school level anyway. I'm not against rewarding children for non academic achievements though. Not everybody will get rewarded by the academic system with good exam results.

Beebo

Veteran
LBC have just revealed that she hasn’t said a single word in the chamber of HoC for a year.
She last spoke on 7th Jul 2022. Which is the day Johnson resigned.
She seems to have abdicated all responsibility as an MP.

Top Bottom