"F*ck the Tories!" A thread dedicated to Nadine Dorries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jack and Adams have decided to wait for the general election rather than risk losing now.

Don’t forget, if they stand but lose they double their redundancy payment. If they’ve been an MP or better still a minister for a while it’s a pretty good tax free perk.

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I understood that HOLAC made the peerage conditional on a by-election, likewise for Alok Sharma, Alister Jack and Nigel Adams. Sharma has yet to announce whether he'll stand in a by-election. Jack and Adams have decided to wait for the general election rather than risk losing now.

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice for them. If they stand for re-election it will only be so that they can move on from the constituencies they're in. ''Elect me as your MP so that you can get shot of me when I go on to a different job....''

Update: Adams has decided to stand down so there will now be another byelection to add to Johnson and Dorries.

C R

Über Member
I understood that HOLAC made the peerage conditional on a by-election, likewise for Alok Sharma, Alister Jack and Nigel Adams. Sharma has yet to announce whether he'll stand in a by-election. Jack and Adams have decided to wait for the general election rather than risk losing now.

It's a bit of a poisoned chalice for them. If they stand for re-election it will only be so that they can move on from the constituencies they're in. ''Elect me as your MP so that you can get shot of me when I go on to a different job....''

Does that mean that dorries goes to the Lords because she resigned her seat?

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
I don't think so, no. The whole point about withholding her peerage was to avoid a byelection. She responded by causing a byelection, thereby stymying Sunak. Can't see him doing her any favours for that.

It appears that it was the House of Lords appointments committee that didn't approve Dorries, Sharma and Adams. I gather Sunak has released the HOLAC's list.

Fart notes in the pants of history, the lot of them.

icowden

Legendary Member
So is she resigning her seat or not? The stress of not knowing is killing me.
There are two schools of thought:
  • She is waiting for the perfect moment to take revenge on the man who brought down her Mr Darcy
  • She is just blowing hot air and having a tantrum.

Top Bottom