General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
My apologies, she said razors were zero rated rather than exempt. Still not true.

View attachment 5991

View attachment 5992

Reading the whole text, rather than only the isolated underlined sections, it very much seems to support the inequity of the situation, to me.

I will just find my pointy hat with the “D” on it, and, retire to the naughty step

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Reading the whole text, rather than only the isolated underlined sections, it very much seems to support the inequity of the situation, to me.

I will just find my pointy hat with the “D” on it, and, retire to the naughty step

What inequity?

As it happens I couldn't care less whether tampons or razors are taxed or not. If we decide as a society that we shouldn't tax menstrual products then fair enough. It's the misinformation, the failure of an MP to check basic tax rules, and the subsequent misuse of the entire argument to support a false narrative which ultimately led to us leaving the EU which I object to.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
What inequity?

As it happens I couldn't care less whether tampons or razors are taxed or not. If we decide as a society that we shouldn't tax menstrual products then fair enough. It's the misinformation, the failure of an MP to check basic tax rules, and the subsequent misuse of the entire argument to support a false narrative which ultimately led to us leaving the EU which I object to.

So Stella Creasey is responsible for Brexit.

And I thought it was all due to Johnson, Gove, Cummings and Farage, plus assorted Boomers and racists, etc.

Burn her at the stake.

stowie

What inequity?

Stella Creasy is my local MP. She is probably the least Brexit person in the HoC, not sure why her mistaking razor blade VAT status is being blamed for Brexit.

She is very active in her constituency and the few interactions I have had with her have been very positive. She is centre-left on most topics and took a lot of criticism locally for her decision to vote for Syria military action, a position that she argued for with considerable thoughtfulness.

She has been a strong campaigner for abortion rights and been active in highlighting issues around HoC / MP role, pregnancy and childcare.

Anyway, I think you will have to put up with her for a lot longer. She is in one of the safest Labour constituencies in the country with a 76% vote share in the last election when she was definitely out of the Corbyn inner circle and other candidates to the further left were making a lot of noise about it.

winjim

So Stella Creasey is responsible for Brexit.

And I thought it was all due to Johnson, Gove, Cummings and Farage, plus assorted Boomers and racists, etc.

Burn her at the stake.

I think she contributed.

winjim

Stella Creasy is my local MP. She is probably the least Brexit person in the HoC, not sure why her mistaking razor blade VAT status is being blamed for Brexit.

Tampon tax was a big Brexit issue and the luxury / essential argument was put forward as an EU position.

She contributed towards anti EU sentiment. I don't think she meant to, otherwise I wouldn't be calling her an idiot.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
So on a scale of 1 to 10, with Farage being at 10 and presumably you at 1, how much did she contribute?

The fact that she was active on the Tampon Tax issue and that some used that issue (not necessarily her) as one in a range of arguments for Brexit is clutching at straws. She had long seen that tax issue as unfair and fought to get it zero-rated...for the benefit of her constituents and women (particularly those in poverty) all over the country, so she was absolutely right to fight for it.

Your argument is totally OTT and would put anyone who didn't see the EU as the panacea for all our ills in the dock.

winjim

So on a scale of 1 to 10, with Farage being at 10 and presumably you at 1, how much did she contribute?

The fact that she was active on the Tampon Tax issue and that some used that issue (not necessarily her) as one in a range of arguments for Brexit is clutching at straws. She had long seen that tax issue as unfair and fought to get it zero-rated...for the benefit of her constituents and women (particularly those in poverty) all over the country, so she was absolutely right to fight for it.

Your argument is totally OTT and would put anyone who didn't see the EU as the panacea for all our ills in the dock.

Do you think maybe she saw it as unfair because her information was the same as that of a stoned teenager? If she thought it unfair because she thought (men's) razors were zero rated then she was wrong.

I'd rather our politicians based their opinions on actual facts rather than easily debunked urban myths. She's an MP, she could have just given HMRC a call. Piece of piss.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Do you think maybe she saw it as unfair because her information was the same as that of a stoned teenager? If she thought it unfair because she thought (men's) razors were zero rated then she was wrong.

I'd rather our politicians based their opinions on actual facts rather than easily debunked urban myths. She's an MP, she could have just given HMRC a call. Piece of piss.

So on a scale of 1 to 10?

She may have been out on one detail but that does not mean it was the cause of feeling the Tampon Tax was unfair.

Last edited:

Ian H

Legendary Member

She may have been out on one detail but that does not mean it was the cause of feeling the Tampon Tax was unfair.

Yebbut. The point isn't whether the tampon tax was unfair, but the use to which she put that argument.

winjim

On a scale of 1 to 10 what?

If I have to give a presentation in front of my boss I make sure I check it properly. She stood up in parliament and said things which were false, things which it would have been really easy for her to check. I checked it and I'm just some dickhead on the internet. It was a big deal at the time with people really latching on to this supposed 'luxury' categorisation which is total bollocks. I know in the intervening nine years or so we've got used to our politicians just making stuff up as they go along but I'd really rather they didn't.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yebbut. The point isn't whether the tampon tax was unfair, but the use to which she put that argument.

Did she put forward the argument that the unfairness was a reason to vote leave?

It sounds a bit like the " don't mention the war" bit in Fawlty Towers.

bobzmyunkle

A quick Google suggests she wasn't too keen on Brexit

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-26-22-01-20-234_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-26-22-01-20-234_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom