General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

No doubt the intellectual giants in the population, like your good self, will do exactly that, but, for a significant proportion of the population, there is no way they are going to listen to or read his speech(es).

The speech is not intended for people who arent going to listen to it, BL. What other gems of perspicacity do you have up your sleeve?

Playing what personally I would call the "Hovis card" is a ready source of ridicule.

Yeah, fine. It's a bit tedious, but it is also, in other words saying "I'm not a billionaire who went to Harrow".

You are bit touchy (tetchy even) about old Kier, are you related?

Only in so far as I see it as counter to my main desire, which is to see the Tories face the biggest possible electoral devastation. I get that Starmer cannot win, for some people, because whatever he says they'll whine. They want Magic Grandpa and his student politics, promises of everything at no cost to them.

Starmer seems a decent enough bloke to me, an anti-populist looking to move politics away from hate-filled reactionary rhetoric attacking minority groups.

He is also the sole opposition leader, 5 weeks away from the GE, so who else is it that you want? There isn't anyone.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I'd be much happier with someone between Corbyn and Starmer to be honest. Clearly divisive figures for a lot of people, some more than others, but that feels like more of a Labour middle ground than just a generally centrist position.

I get that's where the game is played, and there's nothing I can do about that. However, it is a pretty unappealing prospect voting for one candidate just because a continuation of what we've got is awful.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The speech is not intended for people who arent going to listen to it, BL. What other gems of perspicacity do you have up your sleeve?

Yeah, fine. It's a bit tedious, but it is also, in other words saying "I'm not a billionaire who went to Harrow".

Only in so far as I see it as counter to my main desire, which is to see the Tories face the biggest possible electoral devastation. I get that Starmer cannot win, for some people, because whatever he says they'll whine. They want Magic Grandpa and his student politics, promises of everything at no cost to them.

Starmer seems a decent enough bloke to me, an anti-populist looking to move politics away from hate-filled reactionary rhetoric attacking minority groups.

He is also the sole opposition leader, 5 weeks away from the GE, so who else is it that you want? There isn't anyone.

The current crop of “leaders” are what we have, it is clearly too late to change that.

I assume Keir is going to win, I even agree, he seems a decent enough bloke (haven’t met him, so, that is superficial). I just don’t see the need to consider him as the second comming.

Reactions: C R

multitool

I'd be much happier with someone between Corbyn and Starmer to be honest. Clearly divisive figures for a lot of people, some more than others, but that feels like more of a Labour middle ground than just a generally centrist position.

That's fair enough, but you are unlikely to get what you want for a whole host of reasons, not least the uneven playing field upon which this game is played, and the recent historical context.

However, it is a pretty unappealing prospect voting for one candidate just because a continuation of what we've got is awful.

What you want in terms of stated policies is not the same as what is deliverable. We may differ on this, but I see governmental politics in our system as being a relatively narrow band of quite shït choices from which the executive have to choose, often with incomplete information and always with the possibility of unforeseen complications. I'd rather the truth be told about this (which I think Labour are) rather than some sort of gilded Lily being waggled in my face.

multitool

I assume Keir is going to win, I even agree, he seems a decent enough bloke (haven’t met him, so, that is superficial). I just don’t see the need to consider him as the second comming.

Good, because neither do I, nor is he being presented as such by anyone, least of all himself.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
That's fair enough, but you are unlikely to get what you want for a whole host of reasons, not least the uneven playing field upon which this game is played, and the recent historical context.

What you want in terms of stated policies is not the same as what is deliverable. We may differ on this, but I see governmental politics in our system as being a relatively narrow band of quite shoot choices from which the executive have to choose, often with incomplete information and always with the possibility of unforeseen complications. I'd rather the truth be told about this (which I think Labour are) rather thsn some sort of gilded Lily being waggled in my face.

Yep, don't disagree with much of that!

Rusty Nails

Country Member

I get that's where the game is played, and there's nothing I can do about that. However, it is a pretty unappealing prospect voting for one candidate just because a continuation of what we've got is awful.

Interesting thought...as long as it doesn't result in someone with the nous of Corbyn and the charisma of Starmer.

monkers

Legendary Member
The populist political objective is met. When those members of the populace who are say they are tired of the Punch 'n' Judy politics turn instead to bump heads with each other.

For therapy, I recommend binge watching box sets (or Youtube) of Yes Minster and Yes Prime Minister. There we will see examples of plans promising ''sunlit uplands'' and ''grand designs'' and ''national service'' each doomed to failure. Those programmes should have been our teachers - it was all there to learn from. As Tony Benn once said ''what fools we are''.

Bankrupt Britain is bankrupt of ideas. A country controlled by morally bankrupt politicians, lobbyists and media; all now further enabled by the internet, AI, fake news and other deeper fakery.

''Take back control'' I say. Oh wait!

Last edited:
Top Bottom